Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th May 2021, 20:09   #11
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

tot up the cost of repairs and what can you buy that will be fault free for that money.
You may be able to add a bit extra for VED as that can be saved and then there is a big consideration, do you like driving the car?
What about depreciation of the "new" car?

It is not always cheaper to replace a car instead of repairing and yes, it can even be better to spend more then the car is worth.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2021, 20:44   #12
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

If you're worried about spending more on a 75 than it's worth then it seems to me you're on a downer before you even start.

You do it because you love the car & anything else will simply not cut the mustard & bring you down anyway even when it's running properly.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2021, 21:18   #13
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

£700 on a car you own or spend a lot more on another and then find it needs the same or more spending on it. Not many people sell a car unless there is something wrong with it you just need to find the real reason it is for sale.

I have numerous tales of people throwing away a perfectly good car because it needs £x spending on it and the new car will be cheaper to run, the opposite is usually the case and if they are lucky enough not to have any immediate repairs the depreciation after 12 months will probably cost more than the repairs in the first place.

It does not matter if you drive a Euro hatch or a large 4x4 they will all cost, yes the petrol and tyres are less on the Euro hatch but if you add up the total cost including the depreciation on a £5k car over a couple of years I expect the difference is not as big as you might expect unless you travel 25k miles a year.

Buying a car on a PCP deal or what ever they call it looks good on paper but come the end of the deal you will be paying to get the car back up to a resalable condition and I don't mean a wash and polish, they will expect quality tyres with good tread, few if any stone chips and a service history carried out by a main dealer. People often end up buying the car as it is cheaper than getting it ready to hand back.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2021, 22:20   #14
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I don’t drink (regularly). I don’t smoke. I don’t take women out.I don’t gamble. And my only other hobby, fishing, I have not taken part in it for the last 6/7 years.So my only other expense is my car hobby. My cars are serviced and anything that wants doing to them is done. I can always find something to do to one or the other of them. Bought the KV6 connie SE for £250.00 total cost so far over two years £1400.00. 104 weeks @ £13.50 per week. Equal to= couple of packets of cheap fags. 3 pints booze.Fish and chips supper for me and swimbo. 2 gallon of petrol. Half the price of a pub meal for two. How cheap is that for a Rover 75 KV6 Connie? Front bumper wants respray £200-250 which will soon be done. A knock when going over a bit of a pothole that you cannot miss, which I think is the trailing arm front Bush on the nearside, also to be done soon.
The service on my son’s Audi Q5 and two rear springs changed, one was broken, came to more than that. Would I change my Rovers for another car? You can answer that yourself.
Old 12th May 2021, 19:16   #15
Mark190
Avid contributor

MG ZT

i have exactly this same dilemma quite regularly im afraid. Mine is a 54 plate 190SE which i have owned for 4 years now, i do use the car every day but only for very short journeys which is a good thing i suppose as the fuel consumption is pretty shocking. I simply couldnt afford to put the petrol in it otherwise. My running costs are just the same otherwise, i do sometimes question whether to keep it or not. As i said in an earlier post i have recently spent a fair bit of money on it again and now just as i seem to be getting on top of it and finding some justification to keep it on the road now the intake manifold has started ticking! Just brilliant eh? Add to all that quite a few derogatory and negative comments from both family and friends alike ( including the missus ) ranging from why do you keep that thing to isnt it about time you sent that thing to the scrapyard, and whats wrong with it now and also it will never be worth anything and you will always be spending sums of money on it well i must admit it does start to grind you down after a while. But it is my hobby car and i do enjoy looking after it. My emotions about the car can get pretty twisted up sometimes and i do anguish about it over and over. Yes you can sit and stress over it without actually doing anything about it but at the end of the day i know deep down that i would regret it so much if i sold it and that is why i refuse to give in and let it go. I have also considered taking it off the road and parking it up so that i would at least still have the car but that is a whole other story. So for the time being at least i just keep on keeping on.
Mark190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2021, 19:20   #16
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
Over and above his old Merc that he ran I reckon he is easily over 30k out of pocket because of a newer car, I've told him to change the wife and buy an older car again.
Nice one!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2021, 19:32   #17
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

As others have said, selling the SE and buying another car for £700 £800 will most likely put you in the same boat.

You still have to tax, insure and MOT the next car, plus £700 will more than likely buy you a heap of trouble which will put you in a worse position (better the devil you know).

Love it and keep it, it's a lovely luxury car that can and will put a smile upon your face as and when.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2021, 20:31   #18
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

As several on here know, I dallied with a 2008 1.9TDi Passat.

This was the bomb proof, pre emissions scandal engine and was a solid, absolutely reliable lump.

But I've already posted about the electronic handbrake which comes as a complete caliper at a mere £450ish plus you need to have diagnostics to set it up plus labour if you can't do it yourself. And yes, that's each and it's a well know issue.

This is a superb forum for technical advice, hints and tips as well as having some of the most knowledgeable, friendly, willing and helpful members I've ever come across.

Hence coming back to the fold.

The "younger" the replacement car the more electronics there are likely to be and the more difficult/impossible/expensive it will be to look after.

Recently heard about the placement of the power steering reservoir on a 58 plate Ford Kuga. Apparently to check the level of power steering fluid you have to remove the front bumper and take out a headlight. Convenient eh . Good job there's one of those 100% reliable level sensors in there isn't it . And a water leak into a BMW rear LED light unit - that'll be £350 Sir, plus fitting and VAT of course

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

Last edited by AndyN01; 12th May 2021 at 20:38..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 07:12   #19
SCP440

MG ZT-T 260

A friend with a garage was telling me yesterday about a 4 year old Audi that needs a new timing chain, the main dealer has quoted the owner £8k, several other local garages have refused to take it on, he has looked into it and he reckons he won't touch it either. The special tools are over £1000 for a job he is unlikely to ever do again.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 08:10   #20
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

I keep meaning to look on how much I have spent on Banana over the last 11 years of ownership. Be over a grand I expect lol!!!!!!!

If you have the money and the love for the car then it’s best to get it done.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote