Notices

Old 13th May 2021, 12:59   #11
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
The other teams reckon Mercedes are cheating but they are so good at it they dont know what they are doing

I'd be interested to read your source for this.

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 13:33   #12
solarsailor
Posted a thing or two

75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

Quote:
.....its funny how Hamiltons car nearly won when George Russel drove it last year.
IMO that's entirely due the fact that Russell is a quality driver.

This vehicle was born on Wednesday June 4th 2003 @ 08:24:38
This vehicle was the 73,905th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 1,862nd 75 1.8 T Club SE to be made out of 3,980
This vehicle was the 6,856th 75 in Wedgewood Blue to be made out of 7,515 Wedgewood Blue 75s
solarsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 13:38   #13
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
The other teams reckon Mercedes are cheating but they are so good at it they dont know what they are doing, its funny how Hamiltons car nearly won when George Russel drove it last year.
If that was the case how come Bottas doesn't challenge Hamilton every race

All the teams will stretch the rules as far as then can, that's what the brains at the team's headquarters get paid for.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 13:49   #14
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
There is lots that goes on that the public never hear about apparently. One team were caught using an engine that was larger than it should be, I dont know by how much but it was only the fact that one of the scrutineers noticed something odd. That is also a team that were doing well and are now struggling.
How about the team (may have been an Indy or a Nascar) that had massively long fuel lines, that could contain an extra couple of gallons of fuel Helps bypass the tank size restrictions lol - I think that same team even had the roll bars used as a secret reserve capacity too!

Or Tyrrell filling the water tanks with lead shot to be released after the start, sending 1000s of little lead balls across the track!

I believe F1 should be the pinnacle, and should have a bit more of a free rein, as some of the developments can filter down into road cars. A budget cap somehow, or a standardised chassis, where a team can do what they like with it, but cannot alter the chassis in any shape or form.

Active suspension is a good example of what should have been allowed to develop, but within reason (the corners could have become non existent if left unchecked). But for road car use it would be an incredible advancement, and likely to have been so much more common on everyday cars now. Carbon fibre, a form of the carbon brakes etc are good examples of how things have come to be seen on road cars - even the aluminium bodies of the Audi A8 and some Jags owe their creation in part to the aluminium technology developed in the 70's cars.

Perhaps if using one component (like active suspension) then you cannot have wings. Maybe a list you can choose from lol.

Spoilers and wings should be limited to x number of components. EG two vertical pieces, then two horizontal pieces. These small vanes alter the airflow, and can effectively create a form of ground effect by using the airflow as a barrier (and this then creates the turbulence that restricts overtaking etc).

As far as Mercedes cheating, I dont believe it is as bad as people think. Mercedes have teams that work together as cohesive team, where they have the opportunity to develop ever single aspect of the car. The 1mm of airflow passing escaping around the the tyre as it turns may have a team to figure out how to retain it (a made up extreme consideration to demonstrate my point). But they have the manpower and the ability to make them work together, so that they can manufacture the perfect package with next to no compromises.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 13th May 2021 at 13:53..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 13:56   #15
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
I'd be interested to read your source for this.
The only source is my son who as I said works for Alpina formerly Renault.

Renault were caught at the tail end of last year for cheating with there suspension but nothing was done because they fixed it as soon as it was found.

Of course it is all jealousy especially as some teams seem to have bottomless pits of money.

At Alpina they have a monthly meeting to come up with ideas on how to ''stretch the rules''. Most are immediately dismissed but some are looked into and some are even tried out to see what effect it has on the performance. You have to remember a fraction of a second can mean winning or loosing.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 18:13   #16
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
how things have come to be seen on road cars - even the aluminium bodies of the Audi A8 and some Jags owe their creation in part to the aluminium technology developed in the 70's cars.
Alli has been used in cars pre-WW2 and Land Rover body work post WW2 ('47/'48) due to steel shortages/rationing.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 18:17   #17
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Reminds me of something similar in the post ground effects era. Minardi ?????? had flexible side pods to recreate the seal on the sides or something like that.

Brabham fan car anyone .
There was another F1 team that did "ground effect", late 80's? The airstream under the car formed a suction and thus the grip was enhanced. Perfectly legal when introduced but banned, I think, after a season!

Someone on the forum might remember the team.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2021, 18:40   #18
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque2me View Post
Alli has been used in cars pre-WW2 and Land Rover body work post WW2 ('47/'48) due to steel shortages/rationing.

Kev
Ah, but the bonding processes and materials were not available to allow the appropriate strengths.

That development subsided when the mp4/1 came along with the carbon fibre.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Old 13th May 2021, 18:42   #19
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
There was another F1 team that did "ground effect", late 80's? The airstream under the car formed a suction and thus the grip was enhanced. Perfectly legal when introduced but banned, I think, after a season!

Kev
It is current. That is part of what those little vents and winglets are for.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Old 13th May 2021, 18:59   #20
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:

Kev
Side skirts causing ground effect sucking the car onto the track first appeared on Lotus in the late '70s. Other teams jumped on the bandwagon until ground effect cars were banned in '83. There was also the Brabham fitted with a huge fan which sucked the car onto the road like an inverted hovercraft, see pic. It was banned after one race, which it won.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote