Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st November 2012, 20:46   #1
boater
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Handbrake

Today I took off my nearside rear brake disc to check over the handbrake shoes and operation. I did this because I occasionally hear a "catching" sound from this wheel when underway - but not all the time.

Anyway the brake shoes were fine and fitted correctly so I did a quick clean up ready to refit. I then checked the disc itself and found that half the wearing surface was quite badly rusted while the other half was ok. The discs are fairly new with no lip on the pad wearing surface.

I used some rubbing paper to clean off the rust and refitted everything.

All seems to be well now but I wonder why half the surface was rusty and am thinking now that it would be a good idea to apply the handbrake occasionally while the car is moving fairly slowly to keep the surface clean and free from rust etc.

What do you think?
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 21:03   #2
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
Today I took off my nearside rear brake disc to check over the handbrake shoes and operation. I did this because I occasionally hear a "catching" sound from this wheel when underway - but not all the time.

Anyway the brake shoes were fine and fitted correctly so I did a quick clean up ready to refit. I then checked the disc itself and found that half the wearing surface was quite badly rusted while the other half was ok. The discs are fairly new with no lip on the pad wearing surface.

All seems to be well now but I wonder why half the surface was rusty and am thinking now that it would be a good idea to apply the handbrake occasionally while the car is moving fairly slowly to keep the surface clean and free from rust etc.

What do you think?
That reads a bit confused....

The disk and the pads are only used for the foot brake and it seems to be normal for the rear pads not to make full contact with the disk. Putting the handbrake on whilst moving will not help that particular problem. Someone else reported a similar issue not long ago with the rear disks.

Pulling the handbrake on whilst moving, will though help to keep the drum free of rust if not over done.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 21:05   #3
3disco
3disco

ROVER 75 CONN TOURER CDTI and ZTT V8 SE LPG

Quote:

What do you think?
Not a bad idea as under normal use never gets a chance to clean off any build up of rust.

Last edited by 3disco; 1st November 2012 at 21:06.. Reason: spelling
3disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 21:11   #4
boater
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Perhaps my description was not as clear as it could be. I know the handbrake will not affect the wearing surface on the disc itself only on the inner surface where the handbrake operates.

The "drum" for the handbrake is part of the disc and it is this surface that was half rusty and would be cleaned by applying the handbrake with the car moving - but is it good practice?
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2012, 21:17   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Perhaps my description was not as clear as it could be. I know the handbrake will not affect the wearing surface on the disc itself only on the inner surface where the handbrake operates.

The "drum" for the handbrake is part of the disc and it is this surface that was half rusty and would be cleaned by applying the handbrake with the car moving - but is it good practice?
Right, with you now...

Yes! Rover's own workshop practise fix for a rsty handbrake drum, was to drive the car around the workshop car park with the handbrake partially on.

Rather than that, I suggest using the handbrake, but applying it just as the car is coming to a stop. Basically exercise it a little, but often rather than having to use the more drastic Rover method.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote