Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Overseas Club Members Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th May 2008, 10:51   #21
Simon W
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.0 Litre Club Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
Peelaa,

Glandore is on the road to Skibereen, isn't it?

Karsten
It certainly is Karsten. Come out of Cork city and head for Clonakilty, turn off (left) towards the coast at Rosscarbery.

When you get to Glandore have a wee drink at the Marine Hotel and a wander round the harbour. If you can scrounge a boat, go and see Rabbit Island at the mouth of the bay - Adam and Eve islands nearby (watch it though, it's dangerous water**).

If you want a superb drive afterwards, follow the coast round and try Leap, Baltimore, Schull, Crookhaven, Mizen Head and Sheeps Head. This place is gorgeous, so are the people.

Back to Cork city in time for closing! :lol:

** Got caught out doing this once and it was nearly disastrous. Six of us (3 girls, 2 blokes and a 10-year old boy) went for a picnic on Rabbit Island in a 21ft clinker-built rowing boat with an outboard.

On the way back, the weather suddenly turned really nasty and a big wave lifted the stern of the boat and flooded the engine. Couldn't restart the damned thing so we resorted to rowing.

Then another big wave came along and took both oars over the side. We were being swept out to the open sea at a rate of knots and we couldn't see properly because of the height of the waves. (Panic).

In the end we ripped up some planks from bottom of the boat and used them as paddles.

It was a close run thing - very, very scary.

Uncle Jo (the uncle of one of the girls) had been watching us from the cliffs with a pair of binoculars. When we got back to Glandore harbour, he was so mad at our stupidity he didn't speak to us for a week.

Last edited by Dragrad; 13th May 2016 at 23:14.. Reason: Consecutive posts - use the edit or Multi-quote :-)
Simon W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 12:16   #22
Karsten
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 CDTi Saloon Conoisseur

Yep, that's a nice stretch of road there.
But the last time I was driving on the Ring of Beara, my passenger got sick halfway and had to relieve himself... and I wasn't even pushing it.
Okay, the limits of a Caterham S7 are maybe a little beyond the level of experience for the "general public".
But then the low sidewalls of a S7 makes it easy to bend over, out of the cockpit and ... well, you can imagine.

Don't talk about the Irish Sea and weather changes.
We were out to Fastnet with a reasonable 39'er Bavaria when we experienced a *fast* weather change and we had some hairy moments until we were back in Crosshaven, too.

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas,
half a pack of cigarrettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses!
Karsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 18:54   #23
Simon W
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
We were out to Fastnet .....
Fastnet? Say no more!
Old 8th May 2008, 12:23   #24
Donj73

Rover 75

Default West Cork here I come!!!

Hey with sunny weather all week you guys have given me an idea to head to West Cork today... sunny Baltimore calls... an ice cold pint in hand... looking out at the sea....
Donj73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 12:42   #25
Simon W
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donj73 View Post
Hey with sunny weather all week you guys have given me an idea to head to West Cork today... sunny Baltimore calls... an ice cold pint in hand... looking out at the sea....
You lucky, lucky devil Don
Have a Guinness in Baltimore for me.

Stonking good pub there - can't remember its name.

http://www.baltimore-ireland.com/

I might have been Caseys - right banner pic, here:

http://www.caseysofbaltimore.com/

Can't be 100% sure though - I'd better go and check

Last edited by Dragrad; 13th May 2016 at 23:14.. Reason: Consecutive posts - use the edit or Multi-quote :-)