Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd October 2014, 14:32   #1
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,095 Posts
Default How To Remove and Refit Steering Column

Please pay special attention to the the directions, failure to follow this information accurately may result in damage to your airbag system. It is recommended that your battery is disconnected at least 10 mintues before any work on the airbag system is undertaken.

First of all, make sure that the wheels are pointing straight ahead and that the steering wheel is in the straight ahead position.

Now release the tilt / slide mechanism and pull the steering wheel all the way out and all the way down and lock it in place.

Loosen the two torx T30 screws holding the airbag to the steering wheel. Note that the screws are captive and will not fall out. You will need to turn the steering wheel to get access to the screws.

Once removed, straighten the wheel and lift out the airbag to reveal this connector.

Pull the middle of the connector out and then you can withdraw the plug from the airbag and put the airbag to one side.

You can now see the steering wheel control plug, unplug this. You will need someone to help you remove the bolt securing the steering wheel. It is a 16mm socket required, it is very, very tight. DO NOT use the steering lock to hold the wheel while you remove the bolt, get an assistant to hold the wheel so that it does not turn. If you do use the steering lock, you will smash the delicate cast steering column.

With the bolt removed, you can see the marking for lining up the steering wheel and steering column.

Slide the steering wheel off the column, carefully feeding the airbag wire through the wheel.

Next you need to remove the steering column cowlings, remove these two screws hidden inside the cowling.

Because of the way the cowling fits together, lift the top part up first, then the bottom part will easily come away when the tilt lever is released.

With the cowling removed, you can see the four torx T20 screws that hold on the airbag coupler. Remove these screws and unplug the wiper stalk, indicator stalk and airbag coupler. There is no need to remove the stalks from the airbag coupler, it can be removed as one piece.

You now need to unplug the ignition switch, by pulling out this tab and lifting out the plug.

Also unplug the immobiliser induction ring.

Next you need to remove the dash covers, remove these two screws from the lower dash panel and pull the whole panel towards you to release it.

Next unwind these fixings to release the under dash panel, there is no screwdriver slot in these, so I unwind them just using my fingers, they are not tight.

You will now be able to easily see the large rubber grommet in the floor coving the steering column universal joint.

Lift this grommet up and you will be able to see the joint, notice that the bolt is facing away from you.

At this point, refit the steering wheel without bolting it on, turn the wheel about half a turn clockwise so that you have access to the nut.

Remove the nut, slide out the bolt, the connection to the steering rack pivots off, it does not slide off, take a look at this picture.

Now release the wiring loom from the column, it is fitted with two fir tree type clips at these points. Move it out of the way for the following steps.

Completely remove the bolts in the following pictures (on both sides of the column), with all four bolts removed, loosen but do not remove the two phillips screws.

Once you have done the above, holding the steering column with two hands, pull it towards you and it will come out in one piece.

You will need to remove the ignition barrel so that it can be fitted to your replacement column. Insert the key, turn to position one, and push a very stiff paperclip or similar into the hole under the key. The lock will just pop out. To refit it, just push it back in place and remove the paperclip.

If you are fitting a new part, you will also have to swap these plastic bits, they are where the cowling screws in, but did not come with the new part.

THIS BIT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!

When refitting your steering column, slide it onto the two philips screws and tighten them, fit and tighten all four bolts holding it in place. Fit the universal joint back onto the steering rack and fit and tighten the pinch bolt.

DO NOT overtighten the bolts, they are only screwing into aluminium!

Put the steering wheel back on the column, and turn it about half a turn anti-clockwise to put the wheels back in the straight ahead position, and to put the column marker back at the 6 O'clock position. (remember you turned it earlier to reveal the nut)

If the marker is at the 12 O'clock position, you have made the connection to the steering rack upside down.

When refitting the airbag coupler, there is a white marker on the coupler to identify that it is in the middle and is ready for the steering wheel to be refitted. If you cannot see the white marker, do not fit the steering wheel as you will damage the airbag coupler when steering. You will need to rotate the coupler until the white marker is showing.

You can see the white indicator here to the left of the steering column.

Please, please, make sure you have refitted the airbag coupler correctly before driving the vehicle. With the engine running, gently turn the steering wheel from lock to lock, to make sure you have assembled it properly and have full range of use.

If you aren't sure, don't do it, I don't want to read about how you ended upside down in a field when it came off in your hands, or had an accident and the airbag didn't go off because you damaged the coupler.

Disclaimer:
You are responsible for any work or modifications carried out on your car and you undertake any such work at your own risk. Neither The 75 and ZT Owners Club nor the original author of these How-To's can be held liable for anything that may happen as a result of you following these How-To's.
Any modifications should be reported to your insurance company.

Last edited by Dragrad; 5th October 2014 at 21:31..
rich17865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 09:57   #2
Godfer
Posted a thing or two

Seafrost 75

Who's a clever boy then? Well done Sir!

A lovely Seafrost 1.8T
Godfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 16:54   #3
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Well done that man

Now in the How To's

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 16:37   #4
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

I have driven the car now, the steering wheel is not in the straight ahead position when driven and assembled in the manner above and is pointing slightly to the right.

I think there is a possibility that the universal joint at the bottom of the column is in a slightly different angle than it's RHD counterpart and may require the steering wheel putting on slightly out of line with the markers on the end of the column.

When I get time to get the car on an alignment machine to check I haven't hit a bump and bent anything, I will post up what I find. I suspect that you could track the rack differently to straighten the steering wheel up, but I suspect putting the wheel on differently will be the better option.
Old 28th October 2014, 21:14   #5
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

After some driving on a flat car park, I have concluded my alignment hasn't changed.

I have simply put the steering wheel on so that it points straight ahead, it does not line up with the column marker though.

I have now marked the new position with some paint.

My local garage said that if you wanted the marker to line up, it would only be a minor tracking adjustment to straighten the wheel.
Old 28th October 2014, 22:18   #6
GeraintUK
Passed Away

MG ZT-T 160

Excellent guide and well timed as i need to swap my column out soon for replacement with welded on boss for Momo steering wheel, now i don't need to figure out what to undo, i'll just follow Rich's pics.

Should this be in the How To section mods ?
GeraintUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 22:20   #7
Jordan Apex
This is my second home

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraintUK View Post
Excellent guide and well timed as i need to swap my column out soon for replacement with welded on boss for Momo steering wheel, now i don't need to figure out what to undo, i'll just follow Rich's pics.

Should this be in the How To section mods ?
It is in the how to section, great work by Rich again!
Jordan Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2014, 22:53   #8
GeraintUK
Passed Away

MG ZT-T 160

argh yes so it is......this was the live thread bit,,,
GeraintUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 10:51   #9
AndreRijo
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T Extreme Spec ; Rover 45 MKII Connoisseur Plus

Sorry for bringing this from the depths...

Rimmer shows two steering columns, what's the difference between them?

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID002016

I can find any info on why there are two types of steering columns.

Last edited by AndreRijo; 3rd October 2015 at 10:56..
AndreRijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2015, 11:44   #10
rich17865
This is my second home

Transit Connect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreRijo View Post
Sorry for bringing this from the depths...

Rimmer shows two steering columns, what's the difference between them?

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID002016

I can find any info on why there are two types of steering columns.
Well, I think they have changed their grid, the cheap one is in fact left hand drive, so unless they have modified the rubber boot at the bottom, it is not a direct fit.

Edit,

Just realised you are LHD, go for gold