Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Overseas Club Members Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th May 2015, 01:53   #1
Belly

Rover 75 Saloon

Smile Model 75 Timing belt change.

Hello, fellow Roverites out there. Have recently obtained my 2nd Rover (a 2003 75 Conn') which has just clicked over 88000 KM's (55000 miles) in the old language. Having read up on the dreaded Timing belt change issue, was wanting to get some further advice from anybody out there facing the issue.

I have noted the recommended, period is 45000 miles (72000 km's or 3 years),
then noted the Haines book also quotes 90000 miles (144000 kms or six years).
As plainly this is an expensive job, Would like members opinions. I am 90 % sure none of the previous 3 owners, did a belt change. Am also aware it is recommended to change the water pump at the same time. Look forward to hearing back from anybody.
Thanks
Belly
Belly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2015, 16:14   #2
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

It shouldn't be that expensive. Matt at DMGRS does the repair kits and the work can usually be done in a few hours. The hardest bit is locking the crankshaft and removing the crank pulley. I've heard of them being done in a couple of hours including the water pump and tensioner ( no point missing those jobs whilst it's in bits). Also fit new auxiliary belts at the same time.
Mike
Old 18th May 2015, 16:35   #3
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

You don't say wether it's a 2.0/2.5 KV6 or 1.8 ?

I see your profile say's a 2.5 (KV6) but are you talking about a diiferent car (you say this is your 2nd Rover) ?

If we are talking about a KV6, the interval is 6yrs or 90,000mls (whichever comes first) & it depends if whoever fits them uses the correct setting/locking tools as to what is required in terms of parts & labour times.

The 3 belts, idler, tensioner, water pump & coolant you'll need regardless of course.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 09:17   #4
yargnitram
Regular poster

Rover 75

Default kv6 belt change

done this 3 x now on differant 75s kv6 2.0 and 2.5 and its not a easy job 5-6 hours to change everything and to be honest why wouldnt you, do it once do it right and you then have 90000k of worry free motoring may cost a few bob but spread over 5 years its peanuts,while your at it change all the other belts,clean/change engine mesh breathers/cam seals oil filter air filter / plugs/ autogearbox oil/thermostats and guess what it will even increase its value if you have to sell it,total in parts about 1200nzd i know most cars here in nz sell between 2-5000nzd so it seems a little steep but our cars dont suffer the rust problems like the uk so we only have to worry about our mechanical parts,good luck and splash the cash
yargnitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 13:59   #5
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default Help is available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly View Post
Hello, fellow Roverites out there. Have recently obtained my 2nd Rover (a 2003 75 Conn') which has just clicked over 88000 KM's (55000 miles) in the old language. Having read up on the dreaded Timing belt change issue, was wanting to get some further advice from anybody out there facing the issue.

As plainly this is an expensive job, Would like members opinions. I am 90 % sure none of the previous 3 owners, did a belt change. Am also aware it is recommended to change the water pump at the same time. Look forward to hearing back from anybody.
Thanks
Belly
I think most of us in OZ. change their cars timing belts/ idler/tensioner pulley/water pump on a six year or 145,000 kms. basis - whichever occurs first. The former dealerships adhered to this schedule.
I am not aware of any rust problems with our 75 / ZT – even in the U.K.
Have you thought of joining the local (Melbourne based) Rover Car Club - there is quite a lot of information available and they do have a sizeable quantity of spare parts and special tools. Due to taxation requirements, parts are only sold to members.
Have you replaced the OEM plastic thermostat housing unit with one of the upgraded Kaiser aluminium units? Recommended, especially in view of our warmer climate.
A couple of comments on items raised – the local club recently had a workshop evening at a leading automatic rebuilding factory – they recommended changing the automatic transmission fluid, preferably every two years but no longer than four years. The local club recently had a Rover 75 afternoon at a member’s home – over the inspection pit plus discussions on a range of technical topics, ending off with a barbecue plus watching a couple of DVDs pertinent to the 75/ZT.
The Rover Car Club of Australia Inc. has its own website, if you are interested.
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 09:35   #6
Stag>75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly View Post

Thanks
Belly
Hi Belly

There are a lot of threads on the topic. Recommendation is to change the the three belts, the water pump and the timing belt pulleys. And unless the thermostat housing (Standard one is plastic) has been recently replaced then perhaps wise to do it at the same time. If you want a reliable solution in our climate then go for Kaisers Aluminium one. Of course it all comes down to money in the end. It's not a cheap job if you get someone to do it for you. As for doing it yourself, I did mine (Car had travelled 73,000KM - Belts were actually fine when I took them off) and I found it a lot more work than other people quote, perhaps I was just being extra cautious. I know that if I were to do it again I could do it in a fraction of the time.

John
Stag>75 is offline   Reply With Quote