Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th May 2015, 19:56   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Breakdown cover renewal hike again

I have never claimed in 50+ years. The past few years I have been with Autonational. Last year after some discussion, I managed to persuade them to drop it from their £70-ish renewal to £49.50.

They sent me my renewal this year at £69, which they insist includes a 25% discount for not having claimed - as they said when they replied to my email, suggesting they might care to rethink the £69 renewal.

Go to their website and I can get it for the same price, were I a new customer.

I can get the same cover from numerous sources for around £50, so I have written to AN a second time, giving them one last chance to keep me as a customer.

Which is better, a loyal customer who comes back every year, out of which they make a small profit, or a new customer who might stay a year, then get another quote the following year and leave? They are mad, MAD I tell ye! They just don't live in the real world.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 20:00   #2
fraz59
Loves to post

MG-ZT

sad fact these days that customer loyally means nothing, that is why each year I swap between the AA and RAC, Currently still with the AA as when I called to cancel ...they could match the RAC price
fraz59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 20:09   #3
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

I went with the AA for FREE years ago, each year it has gone up and up I've only used them once.

Finally this year on my renewal I gave them a call and questioned the £80 renewal price, straight-away they dropped it to £50. But still I was not happy, so cancelled it.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 20:09   #4
Seafrost
Posted a thing or two

75 Connie SE 1.8 Manual Tourer

Told the RAC to cancel ours last month, after a £30 hike, and never had to use their service... they were not even prepared to match last years price, no customer loyalty at all, but the biggest insult, could have had the same cover via Tesco Bank car insurance and RAC for £60 less!

If they can all afford to keep losing customers then carry on... all this Austerity and capping of incomes, will start to hit all big companies soon enough...then they will have two choices, Put every customer left on even higher costs... or lower the whole lot to attract people back.
Seafrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 21:33   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I have never claimed in 50+ years. The past few years I have been with Autonational. Last year after some discussion, I managed to persuade them to drop it from their £70-ish renewal to £49.50.

They sent me my renewal this year at £69, which they insist includes a 25% discount for not having claimed - as they said when they replied to my email, suggesting they might care to rethink the £69 renewal.

Go to their website and I can get it for the same price, were I a new customer.

I can get the same cover from numerous sources for around £50, so I have written to AN a second time, giving them one last chance to keep me as a customer.

Which is better, a loyal customer who comes back every year, out of which they make a small profit, or a new customer who might stay a year, then get another quote the following year and leave? They are mad, MAD I tell ye! They just don't live in the real world.
Does your car insurance offer a breakdown policy? Mine currently is free, as part of the discount rate by my union. However, I was told the value of it was £35 per year, which was what it was last year prior to joining the union. I have always had the cover with my insurance. Only had to use it once, in my last car, when the alternator (and ultimately battery) gave up 12 miles from home. They came, collected me, offered to try to get me started, but I explained it was pointless, and he then transported me and my car home. The offer was also there to take my car to the nearest garage, which was less than a mile away, and me home.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 22:13   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Does your car insurance offer a breakdown policy? Mine currently is free, as part of the discount rate by my union. However, I was told the value of it was £35 per year, which was what it was last year prior to joining the union. I have always had the cover with my insurance. Only had to use it once, in my last car, when the alternator (and ultimately battery) gave up 12 miles from home. They came, collected me, offered to try to get me started, but I explained it was pointless, and he then transported me and my car home. The offer was also there to take my car to the nearest garage, which was less than a mile away, and me home.
No, but I could get breakdown thrown in for free, for the same cost or even get it free with credit cards, but my need is for better than the basic cover - just in case.

I tow the caravan and I have nightmares about breaking down whilst towing. I would have SWMBO in who is severally disabled, plus two dogs then the caravan. I make sure what ever cover I accept, would recover us, plus the caravan back home, I also make sure they would collect the caravan from site, if we were out touring the local area too. I don't fancy the idea of us being taken home, with the van stranded on a site 250 miles away. Many say they will recover the van, but only if it is attached to the car when it is broken down.

One company I asked, said it would be down to the breakdown drivers discretion, likely they would oblige - that is no good at all to me.

Kwikfit say they do cover the caravan, but that is all, so I have asked them for clarification.

My current cover, says only if it is attached at the time, but I got them to agree on a variation in writing, that they would collect the van from site anyway. Its a silly rule, which makes it useless cover for those with a caravan, unless you break down on route.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 1st June 2015, 12:23   #7
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

I went through several companies, asking them the same question...

If the caravan is parked on a site and we were away from it maybe touring the area in the car, the car then broke down, could not be fixed at the roadside, nor in the day at a garage (their limit) and the car needed to be taken home - could we expect the caravan to be just abandoned at the site, maybe far from home.

Many stipulate they will only take the caravan, if it were attached to the car at the time of the breakdown. Some said it would be up to the drivers discretion. Discretion is no use to anyone, they either would, or they would not.

This despite explaining that it would be essential that the van accompany us home, because it had essential medical equipment in it which would be needed at home.

However Breakdown Assist (AXA) said they have come across this before and they have always repatriated both car and caravan as one, even if the van is on a site. Their policy doesn't make any mention of the need for the caravan to be attached, either. I had them email me making it clear that they would, as part of the service recover both to home were it necessary.

The cost, for identical cover, £34.95 a fraction over half the AN's £69 renewal quote.

I received a second email from AN saying they were not prepared to budge on that £69. I did though suggest I would be prepared to renew for £50, a similar figure to what other companies were offering. There reply was that their service was simply better than what others were offering.

Oh well now they lost a long term customer through greed and their ex-customer saved a lot of money in the process.

Old 1st June 2015, 16:57   #8
Monaro Pete
Regular poster

MG ZT-T+ / 6.0 HSV Monaro

Had my RAC renewal come through the other week. This years premium- £95.32.

I went on Compare The Meerkat & rang the RAC with a view to cancel. They quickly dropped my premium to £61.95.

Amazing really. Why can't they do it for this price in the first place???

Greed....... in the hope you'll bend over & get shafted a wee bit more.

RAC....... "The Motorists Champion" they call them selves. "Bull poo" I say.
Monaro Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 17:27   #9
boater
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Harry

Sounds as though you are sorted now but for others or next time it is worth considering Autoaid Breakdown. I joined them several years ago after seeing it recommended by Martin Lewis the money saving expert.

It is different to most in that you are covered for any breakdown in any car but in the event of needing assistance you ring them and they take details then send out a nearby breakdown company who you have to pay for the service provided. You then reclaim the cost from them and are paid within 14 days.

The service is very comprehensive in that you are covered for home call outs as well as breakdowns on the road. You can choose whether to be taken home or to a nearby repairer and if necessary hotel costs etc are included.

I do not have a caravan so have not checked the details regarding caravan recovery but would think it is as good as any other available.

The cost is £41.00 per year.

Howard
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 19:51   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
I do not have a caravan so have not checked the details regarding caravan recovery but would think it is as good as any other available.

The cost is £41.00 per year.

Howard
It is pretty much the same level of cover as I mentioned above but mine lacks the homestart cover. Your does include cover for a caravan or trailer, but only if it is attached. The big difference is mine above would do the paying, where as you would stand the cost and then get a refund.

I will now ring them about what would they do, were it not attached

[EDIT] closed until tomorrow morning...

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 1st June 2015 at 19:54..