Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th November 2020, 15:30   #1
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Default Windscreen washer woes

I've replaced the washer pump today after a problem with the windscreen washers and the warning light coming on. The warning light has been extinguished by the new pump, but I'm not getting a drop of water through the jets. Before I replaced I was getting a small squirt that didn't quite make it to the windscreen. The rubber bung that the pump sits in is as clean as a whistle and the container is free of gunge. I can only think it must be an air lock or a blockage in the pipes leading up to the bonnet. Any suggestions welcome. I read a good blow through with an airline may cure it, but I haven't got an airline, or know how to do this??? The Rover is due for its MOT and this is an instant fail. If nothing forthcoming I may have to bite the bullet and take it to my garage, which is annoying and probably expensive considering that any garage will charge at least an hour's labour.

Last edited by robbrooks; 9th November 2020 at 15:34..
robbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2020, 15:43   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

check by sticking a pin in each nozzle to make sure they are clear and not blocked

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2020, 15:45   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

You will have a restriction in the t piece that connects the feed tube to the two jets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9th November 2020, 21:38   #4
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Also check the bottom of the bottle and the filter. Mine was full of sludge.
richw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2020, 00:25   #5
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrooks View Post
I've replaced the washer pump today after a problem with the windscreen washers and the warning light coming on. The warning light has been extinguished by the new pump, but I'm not getting a drop of water through the jets. Before I replaced I was getting a small squirt that didn't quite make it to the windscreen. The rubber bung that the pump sits in is as clean as a whistle and the container is free of gunge. I can only think it must be an air lock or a blockage in the pipes leading up to the bonnet. Any suggestions welcome. I read a good blow through with an airline may cure it, but I haven't got an airline, or know how to do this??? The Rover is due for its MOT and this is an instant fail. If nothing forthcoming I may have to bite the bullet and take it to my garage, which is annoying and probably expensive considering that any garage will charge at least an hour's labour.
Hi Rob.
So we know you have cleaned the bottle out, and the lower little filter, photos so members know what we are talking about in a pictorial sense.

Wheel arch liner peeled back.

Pump pulled out to check the filter and drain oil fluid.

Once fluid is low enough remove the little filter.

This one had been cut off so water should have been getting to the screen.

I replaced it with one that had not be trimmed down.

So i know the pump is ok the fluid is/was clean not congealing which can happen if you use two different fluids, keep to one make and type even for topping up, the filter is clean.

Next step remove the bonnet heat & sound cover, to gain access to the washer tubs and spray jets.

Either buy or find your self a bicycle pump, i happen to have a couple, also so a straight connector, and a piece of tubbing 4mm.

In the centre there will be a one way valve with three barbs coming from it, pull the left lower tube off this is feed tube to the valve.

Connect the pump/pumps in my case to the tube/tubes.

Now give the tube a good pumping the feed one will blow back any gunk in the tube towards the bottle & its knowing working pump, you can then pull the tube of the working pump and reverse pump it back up hopefully clearing and blockage if there is/was one.

Do the same to the jets pump hopefully clearing any blockage in the eye of the jet.

Wash out the washer bottle which in your case you have done so already.

With the little back in place and the pump inserted fill the bottle with your choice of screen wash, this time of year making sure its for winter not summer screen wash.

Now check to see if you have any spray going onto the front windscreen, where it should go.

If not then the one way valve is the problem.

Replace it with a good working new one, if you do not have one or can not source one then you a Y connector, in it's place.

This worked for me if may do for you too

This is what the valve looks like inside, here is a small diaphragm, this can fail which stop the water getting to the jets.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2020, 07:46   #6
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Thanks Arctic
very concise . Would it be best to replace the one way valve? Do you require 2 bicycle bumps, or will one work?
Rob
Old 10th November 2020, 08:27   #7
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Thanks Arctic
very concise . Would it be best to replace the one way valve? Do you require 2 bicycle bumps, or will one work?
Rob

I removed the diaphragm in the one way valve, it takes a second longer to get water but the power of the jets make up for that.
Old 10th November 2020, 09:50   #8
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Arctic
Rob
Hi Rob.
One will do i just had two so used two you just add the little tube to use it on the one way valve, or you could remove the valve and then just do each tube.

Try what Andy says also if the valve is faulty & you do not have a Y connector.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 12th November 2020, 10:01   #9
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Arctic
Thanks for the info. Had all the system in bits and it's clean all the way through. I am now getting a flow to the windscreen, but after switch off and on restarting it takes around 30 seconds to get a flow onto the windscreen again. This may not get through the MOT as it is. What can be wrong? Is it the one way valve? I have another non OEM valve on its way? It seems that water is draining all the way back to the tank on switch off and then having to prime again on a restart.
Thanks for your help with this.
Rob
Old 12th November 2020, 10:48   #10
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Arctic
Thanks for the info. Had all the system in bits and it's clean all the way through. I am now getting a flow to the windscreen, but after switch off and on restarting it takes around 30 seconds to get a flow onto the windscreen again. This may not get through the MOT as it is.
Quote:
What can be wrong? Is it the one way valve? I have another non OEM valve on its way? It seems that water is draining all the way back to the tank on switch off and then having to prime again on a restart.
Thanks for your help with this.
Rob
HI Rob.
I would say it is the valve that is suspect hopefully your replacement will sort it, if not use a Y connector from halfords.

ad altiora tendo.