Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th March 2021, 12:02   #1
davidbooker
Gets stuck in

'51 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Conn. Purchased 02/05

Default ABS Sender Testing

Hi
My abs light came on the other day, after flashing on and off for a couple of weeks. The AA diagnosed the rear offside sender as the culprit, so I bought a new one on Ebay. The garage fitted it yesterday, and it seemed to work. However, on the short drive home, the light came on again. Before I return to the garage (he knows it's on again) is there any way of testing the continuity of the sender with a multimeter? It's possible the new one is a dud, as it seemed to cure the problem for about 300 yards!
Many thanks.
davidbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2021, 13:00   #2
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbooker View Post
Hi
My abs light came on the other day, after flashing on and off for a couple of weeks. The AA diagnosed the rear offside sender as the culprit, so I bought a new one on Ebay. The garage fitted it yesterday, and it seemed to work. However, on the short drive home, the light came on again. Before I return to the garage (he knows it's on again) is there any way of testing the continuity of the sender with a multimeter? It's possible the new one is a dud, as it seemed to cure the problem for about 300 yards!
Many thanks.
Hi David.
Yes it can be tested if you make up a ABS loom or ask the club if you can borrow one of theirs, they should have two.
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=260420

I think you will most likely find its the bearing and the magnet which is built in, most likely rust debris from the back plate.

Earth the meter.

Turn the wheel and readings are as below.

Lower the back seat and join the ABS tester loom to check.

My money is still on the bearing

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 27th March 2021 at 13:29..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2021, 15:38   #3
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbooker View Post
Hi
Many thanks.
Had a similar issue a few months back but I hadn't had a diagnostic check. After fiddling with an elimination process using known good sensors I gave up and just replaced both rear bearings (not a big diy job and relatively modest OEM parts cost - problem solved and hopefully no issues with rear wheel bearings (the originals had covered in excess of 165K) for the rest of her life.
There is a very thorough explanation of the ABS system somewhere on here that points to the O/S/R bearing as the most probable culprit - trouble is I didn't read it first
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2021, 17:28   #4
davidbooker
Gets stuck in

'51 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Conn. Purchased 02/05

Many thanks for all your advice - food for thought! 👍
davidbooker is offline   Reply With Quote