Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Overseas Club Members Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th August 2010, 09:58   #21
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Hi DCN,

I am flying back to Nairobi in September where I have another home. I am planning to drive to Cape Town in my Trooper with the wife as we have to do some work on the farm on the Helderberg not far from the cape. We expect to visit J'berg on the way and plan to be in CPT Oct/Nov/Dec. I have been preparing for this trip for months. I learned from my mechanic in Nairobi how to change the discs, pads and do an oil change. I know it is not much, but it is a start. I spoke to the AA in Nairobi and they will arrange the carnet, arrange for us to be met at each border crossing to take us across. I was in cape town last year and remember seeing a Rover 75 in the multiple storey car park on the Waterfront and it looked to be in immaculate condition. There are certainly R75's around in S. Africa. But would not be up to safari - what a shame.

GK

Be lucky!
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 15:49   #22
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

A couple of weeks ago, I met up with 'Wood Goat' just outside of Cape Town up here on the mountain and delivered a Bosch ABS Module (3kg) I had brought out with me from the UK for his MG ZT. 2 evenings ago, where he lives, the road to Paarl is in excellent condition and Willie alias 'Wood Goat', enabled my first ever drive in an MG ZT. What a lovely motor it is to drive and in immaculate condition! in Red. I did not experience the clutch shudder he reported but he did tell me what RPM to reach and pull away from.

Many thanks Willie for your hospitality and the drive in the BMW 330D as well...what a treat and to eat 'Snoek' ... to meet your lovely lady as well with my other half'

Phil
Old 7th December 2010, 06:43   #23
Woodgoat
Passed Away

MG ZT

Mr Gatekeeper, what a blessing it was for us to receive you and "J". I actually cannot wait for you guys to get back here. There are a few places I'd love to show you.
There is an Exquisite car Museum in "Franchoek" owned by Johann Rupert. They serve a fantastic Sandwich as well. A cherry farm a few kilometers from "Ceres" also springs to mind. For R15-00 you can wander among the trees and eat as many cherries as you like, ughh...
I must say that we also enjoyed the evening we spent with you and your lady. You have a stunning place. Simply mindboggling.
We're looking forward seeing you again. Untill next time, have a good trip back to Nairobi and the slightly "cooler" UK.
Woodgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2010, 09:58   #24
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

Never owned a Rover in SA but did live there on and off between living in Zim.

Lived in Welkom & Virginia, (for my sins...lol) Pietermaritzburg long ago! And more recently Jo'burg, Lonehill to be exact.

Loved every moment! Shame they wouldn't let me stay......

Cheers, Bill.
Old 10th December 2010, 18:26   #25
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Hi WoodGoat

We are back in Nairobi and the heat. 31C in the shade and 41C in the sun yesterday. I must not complain really. Today a touch cooler and welcomed rain tonight. I look forward to seeing you in Feb/March after my return to the UK to check up on things and to see S750 LJW which Lewis has kindly been looking after. What a treat it would be to visit the car museum at Franchoek! I will keep a look out for the MG/ZT paint code chart you asked about? I think you had some other accessories in mind as well.... a fault code reader etc, All the best in the fitting of the ABS Module.

GK
Old 10th December 2010, 18:31   #26
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Hi Bill

Is it appropriate for me to ask 'why they would not let you stay' ?

I am only allowed to stay in S.A for up to 3 months at a time per entry visit..any longer and it involves a lot of red tape
Old 10th December 2010, 21:04   #27
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

No, not at all.
I was a permanent resident from way back, but I moved up to Zim and forgot to keep up my residence in SA, (well, in the old days you didn't have to) so when I left Zim to go back to SA I had to get my residence reinstated, which they desided not to do, even though all my family still live there!!! Bummer!

I really miss it....... Good days.

enjoy your stays....

Cheers, Bill.
Old 11th December 2010, 18:23   #28
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

No worries Bill and thanks for letting me know what happened. Gone are the days of the good old days. I have distance relatives from Zim and still have friends who go back there now and again, and some are going back there for christmas, despite everything. Happy memories are so precious and can never be taken away.

All the best

Phil
Old 14th December 2010, 06:53   #29
Woodgoat
Passed Away

MG ZT

Hello Phil, wow, that is hot!!! and it's not going to let up for a while.
My color code problem is that I have a ABS loom plug from a e39 BMW, the wire color coding not being the same as the ZT's. I need to know what color wires from the ZT's loom to mate up in the wires (different colors) on the BMW loom. I'm not looking forward to that job.
Enjoy your time in Nairobi (including the heat) and please send my regards to J.
Willie
Woodgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 07:37   #30
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Hi Willie,

We had heavy rains here last night and the temps have dropped to 23C this a.m We are planning a trip down south to the Tanzanian Border at the weekend for 3 nights safari-camping in a family convoy of a 20 year discovery and my 8 year old trooper, both running well and maintained. Should be murky and muddy off-road and lots of photo opportunities.

I was thinking about the colour coding of the electrical wiring problems you are going to have in wiring in the ABS loom plug from the BMW E39 into the Bosch ABS module I brought out to you for your ZT which has different colours to the wiring - " A nightmare" to a non-tech" such as myself.

How about posting the above paragraph and moving it over to the technical forum here or to the guys on the mg260.com forum - just a thought!

It is certainly challenging but as you know there are many experts here or someone who also has 'been there before' with this unique problem.

P.S pics help :weihnacht2:
Phil