Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Overseas Club Members Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th April 2011, 10:54   #61
flyer_phil
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Classic, 2003, Moonstone

Hello friends in SA

I've been to SA a few times and spent 3 months in Nelspruit in 2002.

You lucky people I wish I lived there. Are there any jobs out there for an ageing Systems Engineer? If there are let me know

Regards

Phil Robinson
flyer_phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 15:20   #62
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

It is a lovely country, with sunshine and countryside like nowhere else in the world. But there are good reasons, why a lot of us are moving here to the UK..... The brain drain continues.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 11:45   #63
nbrink

Rover R75 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCN808T View Post
now its my turn to appologize for the delay in replying

no engine mods planned. there is a place called euro asia, i believe in pta, that also does rover 75 and mg zt spares. have sent them a mail but also no reply. best would be to go break down their door...

your car looks great. pretty in green if i may enquire, what happened to the original wheels?

Hi. I am also from SA, Durban. Bought my Rover 75 1.8T last year in Botswana. Have a couple of problems that need sorted and yes, it is difficult to find someone that is prepared to work on them or even can. Not to mention getting a diagnostic done. I found a guy in Cape Town who looks reasonably priced. Might want to have a look at his website: www.classically-british.co.za. Al least he replies to your emails, but he is however not a mechanic, he only imports parts and you can get almost anything from him. Good luck, and hope someone can give me an idea of anyone in the Durban area.
nbrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 11:55   #64
spyder
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrink View Post
Hi. I am also from SA, Durban. Bought my Rover 75 1.8T last year in Botswana. Have a couple of problems that need sorted and yes, it is difficult to find someone that is prepared to work on them or even can. Not to mention getting a diagnostic done. I found a guy in Cape Town who looks reasonably priced. Might want to have a look at his website: www.classically-british.co.za. Al least he replies to your emails, but he is however not a mechanic, he only imports parts and you can get almost anything from him. Good luck, and hope someone can give me an idea of anyone in the Durban area.
A friend of mine specilaizes in Landrover motors, mainly on cylinder heads. But hopefully you will not need to go down that road. He was on the bluff, but has now I think moved to the North coast. The MG car club was big in KZN at one stage and did import a lot of parts for their cars. Not that they will consider our cars any part of MG though.
If you need any smallish parts from the UK maybe I can help and send them to you. I will also be making a trip back at some stage, but to the more civilized Gauteng.

Maybe check your springs if the car has lived in Botswana.

Regards Craig
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
Old 6th June 2011, 12:29   #65
nbrink

Rover R75 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCN808T View Post
now its my turn to appologize for the delay in replying

no engine mods planned. there is a place called euro asia, i believe in pta, that also does rover 75 and mg zt spares. have sent them a mail but also no reply. best would be to go break down their door...

your car looks great. pretty in green if i may enquire, what happened to the original wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
A friend of mine specilaizes in Landrover motors, mainly on cylinder heads. But hopefully you will not need to go down that road. He was on the bluff, but has now I think moved to the North coast. The MG car club was big in KZN at one stage and did import a lot of parts for their cars. Not that they will consider our cars any part of MG though.
If you need any smallish parts from the UK maybe I can help and send them to you. I will also be making a trip back at some stage, but to the more civilized Gauteng.

Maybe check your springs if the car has lived in Botswana.

Regards Craig
Hi Craig

The suspension is 100%. The problems are that it has a slight misfire and when accelerating, especially uphill, the revs would drop about 200rpm(while accellerating) and then climb again and drop again and this will continue until you release the fuel pedal. And no one here can do a diagnostic check for me, any ideas? The engine management light use to come on, then disappear for awhile and reapear again. Now it has been on for the past week, without any major difference in how the car reacts. What worried me, is that when I started the car over the weekend, a different icon came up on the centre console, the engine picture with a cross through it...???? Any ideas?
Old 6th June 2011, 14:31   #66
spyder
This is my second home

Hi Neil, I run a diesel here. I had a 1.8 turbo VW in SA, the biggest problem with those there is the heat build up destroying the air intake sensor (MAF) , and also the coil packs. Not sure if it is the same on the Rover motors. Most Bosh service centres have the equipment to test these, I used two of them in JHB @ about R200 a session.

I have posted your query on the tech. forum, as not many people will look here.

good luck

Craig
Old 7th June 2011, 05:54   #67
nbrink

Rover R75 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
Hi Neil, I run a diesel here. I had a 1.8 turbo VW in SA, the biggest problem with those there is the heat build up destroying the air intake sensor (MAF) , and also the coil packs. Not sure if it is the same on the Rover motors. Most Bosh service centres have the equipment to test these, I used two of them in JHB @ about R200 a session.

I have posted your query on the tech. forum, as not many people will look here.

good luck

Craig
Thanx Spyder. Will contact one of the local Bosch agent here in Durban to find out. Where can I find information on the MAF sensor and what does it do? And is it possible that the unit sitting on the airbox that has got the three pipes going to the turbo could cause these problems? I think it is called the Waste Valve or something.
Old 12th June 2011, 08:54   #68
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Hi Neil,

How did you get on?
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 05:27   #69
nbrink

Rover R75 1.8T

Hi Gatekeeper

Nothing yet. Am yet to try a few possibilities of what might be causing the problems. Wanted to change the vacuum pipes to the Boost control solenoid valve this weekend but the weather did not permit. Will try this Thursday if the weather is ok and also check the turbo pipes. If all else fails, then I will have to get a mechanic to have a look. I found someone that will have a look but he is not a Rover mechanic. Will keep everyone updated on what I find.