ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Nice one karlm

kill IE7 and use firefox
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 07:31   #12
biggles
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 conn

In my organization the damage has been fairly limited. People are generally wary about upgrading IE as we have products with web components that have specific IE requirements.

The troublesome thing with IE7 is the fact that M$ finally owed up to the fact that IE6 and earlier are deviating a lot (intentionally) from standards which has caused all web programmers to either make their website:

1) Malfunction in various ways if you do not run IE6/win32
2) Malfunction in various ways if you do run IE6/win32 (rarely)
3) Work well with all dominating web browsers (heavy work)

So now IE7 is actually pretty standards compliant. Trouble now is that all sites in the (1) and (3) categories that have not been modified will NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- out if you hit them with IE7.

Now, even this will give me headaches as CIO I am still very pleased that M$ (probably very intentional, to their credit) decided not to make IE7 bug-compatible with IE6. This will force web sites to change much faster to a design that is also more easily adapted for Firefox, Safari and others.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 12:11   #13
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Whilst not Supporting IE7 I feel a balanced view should also be offered.
A lot of Beta Testing was carried out on this before final Release, which I was Involved in, it is the best of the IE to date a lot more secure and doing things that people requested in Feedback. Over here in the States (working at Breakfast 08.08) it is the Number one used, but on a lot of Private Machines you find more alternatives in use.

If you Don't like IE7 use an Alternative, but some things specifically written for, don't always work and render incorrectly. But Likewise the other way round to, so at the end of the Day use what you prefer, after all both are Free!
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 12:38   #14
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

yep.. use whatever works. I have IE7 on this machine, as well as Firefox, and if things don't work on one browser it only takes a few seconds to switch over. One problem I do have though is a lot of sites are not configured to display at 1400x900 (my widescreen monitors default size) and things can sometimes be hard to read. the PC in the workshop runs IE6 only because I never bothered to upgrade it, and it is only a file workhorse and glorified music player so does not need it.
Old 24th January 2007, 13:23   #15
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC123 View Post
yep.. use whatever works. I have IE7 on this machine, as well as Firefox, and if things don't work on one browser it only takes a few seconds to switch over. One problem I do have though is a lot of sites are not configured to display at 1400x900 (my widescreen monitors default size) and things can sometimes be hard to read. the PC in the workshop runs IE6 only because I never bothered to upgrade it, and it is only a file workhorse and glorified music player so does not need it.
BMC, you most probally realise but just in case, you can manually adjust your LCD Wide Screen to a resolution that suits you, but it won't always be as sharp, as you are not using the optimum resolution.

Im actually using IE7 for this site and other than homepage all works fine on here, but I also have Mozilla FireFox running in Background.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 16:00   #16
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

Tried that before, I think they just don't like my monitor very few sites really that bother it, in fact since posting that earlier 2 of the sites have been revamped and now work (must have read this or something) anyway, I'm not going to start changing resolutions just to suit one site or another I shall just carry on.