Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th February 2007, 01:03   #1
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

Default Epson printers... Never again

I have been using Epson printers for years now, from dot matrix up to my last one, a Photo Stylus R220.

Now, the R220 is only 15 months old, and is on its 3rd set of genuine inks from new (not a lot of use) and it just died the other day. No power, nothing.

Looking around a few forums, I found no mention of this fault so I emailed Epson and...

nothing.

and it seems I am not alone, as I have discovered quite a few disgruntled owners with faulty Epson's that can get no response from the makers. I use it mainly to print photo's and directly onto CD/DVD discs, and it is very annoying that they wont answer my emails.

So, It looks like it's time to shop around again, anybody here use a CD/DVD printer? if so, what type is it and what's your thoughts on it?
Old 17th February 2007, 10:20   #2
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC123 View Post
I have been using Epson printers for years now, from dot matrix up to my last one, a Photo Stylus R220.

Now, the R220 is only 15 months old, and is on its 3rd set of genuine inks from new (not a lot of use) and it just died the other day. No power, nothing.

Looking around a few forums, I found no mention of this fault so I emailed Epson and...

nothing.

and it seems I am not alone, as I have discovered quite a few disgruntled owners with faulty Epson's that can get no response from the makers. I use it mainly to print photo's and directly onto CD/DVD discs, and it is very annoying that they wont answer my emails.

So, It looks like it's time to shop around again, anybody here use a CD/DVD printer? if so, what type is it and what's your thoughts on it?
I, like you, have always used Epson printers. I know that there is no real difference between manufacturers but I have always been impressed with each Epson I have had.

I use an Epson Photo R300 at the moment and have been running it for about a 18 months if I recall correctly, without a hitch. It does a superb job of printing DVD/CD as well as photo quality and general colour printing.

Never had to use their tech support so cannot comment on that.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2007, 10:27   #3
Jürgen
Posted a thing or two

There is a Canon Pixma iP5000 on my desk. The print quality is very good and the ink prices are reasonable. As this model isn't available anymore, I would go for the iP4300 now.
Old 17th February 2007, 12:55   #4
Nick Hoare
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8 Conn SE Auto (54)

I have been using a Canon Pixma iP1500 for a while now with no problems and even use "Tesco" ink cartridges with no noticable drop in print quality.
Old 18th February 2007, 15:56   #5
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

as a footnote, Epson sent me a reply to my email.

in my original I explained I had already checked the power supply and leads, this was the reply.

Quote:
Please turn off the printer at the mains connection and check the power cord connections between the printer and the electrical outlet. Then turn the printer back on. Make sure that the switch is turned on or plug another electrical device into the outlet to check whether the outlet is operating properly. Also try another power cable.
If after going through the complete process outlined above the issue is still evident then it may be that the unit needs a repair

I'm looking at a Canon on Amazon now
Old 18th February 2007, 16:24   #6
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Don't you just love some of the HelpDesk lines with a set number of Solutions for Problems? Give me a real Qualified Technical Support guy anyday, trouble is most companies appear to keep only a few of them unless it is a chargeable service line (yes I know some of them are NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-. but what do you expect for Indian Call Centres, they think Wales is a place in England! and you have to let them go through there help screens without whitch most are lost)
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 10:15   #7
EnEnGee
Posted a thing or two

CDT Tourer (SORN) & 2.0 V6 Saloon

I use a Canon Pixma iP3000, which may not be available now as I have had it 2 years. Use mainly PC World own brand ink and I have been very pleased with it. Use it mainly for printing Digital photographs and general text printing. Can't fault it.
EnEnGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 17:27   #8
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Thing is now I dont bother to print my Digital Pictures myself anymore, transfer them all to a CD take it into Tesco's or similar 7" x 5" prints @ 5p each (when 100pics on disc, not difficult for me) these are permanent, printed on Proper Photo Paper by Kodak that wont fade in a few years all for less than the price of your PhotoPaper/Inks etc plus your Points if you collect them!
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 17:33   #9
VXman
Regular poster

MG ZT -T 260

I had a simslar experience with epsom. Had one replaced under warranty and the 2nd died just over a year old. In that time it drank ink like there was a hole in the bottom.

Picked up a cheap Brother all in one printer/scanner thingy. (Brother DCP- 120 c)so far really pleased. Ink is reasonably priced and seems to last much longer than the Epsom.
VXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2007, 18:44   #10
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

We don't have any photo booths near us (apart from jessops 6 miles away) but for all I print photo wise a home printer is all I need,
My main printing is directly onto printable DVD's that I sell so I want something that does a good job, and up until now the epson had been brilliant, it is about to be replaced though most likely with a canon Pixma iP4300 Photo Printer as its cheap and cheerful enough to do what I want without breaking the bank