Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th March 2023, 10:44   #14121
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
My ZT-T came home on the hook for the first time today. Initially on the road I thought that the issue was clutch hydraulics but it became obvious that it was the gearchange cables causing the problem.

I lost all of the gears and the gearshift has the sensation of a broken or disconnected cable. The cables are fine at the gearbox end and I can manually move the selectors on the box, so tomorrow I will get the car up on stands and pull the shifter out to see what's happening. It's a nuisance as if I need cables DMGRS won't be able to ship them until Monday which means I may not see them until the following week (I'm in Canada) and I was planning to put a couple of hundred km on the car next weekend.
It'll be a broken ball joint at the gearbox end, easily repaired with one of these rather than the hassle of changing cables.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 11th March 2023, 06:14   #14122
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

No such luck I'm afraid Trikey.
I removed the cables and shifter and it turned out that the ferrule
came off the end of the fore-aft resulting in loss of movement.
I had this happen once before on an MGF but with an aftermarket replacement cable. If you have ever changed the gearchange cables on an MGF you will understand why it made me irate! A new factory cable off e-bay solved the problem.
I've ordered a set of replacement cables from DMGRS so I will be waiting patiently for them to arrive.

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 11th March 2023 at 06:38..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2023, 08:24   #14123
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Finally found out where my BMWs coolant leak was.

It was a pipe under the manifold that goes to the water cooler, which was opening up when the system was pressurized.

Had to get it fixed professionally though, as it was something I didn't have the ability to fix myself. £360 all in.

Last edited by Bogbrush82; 11th March 2023 at 08:35..
Bogbrush82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2023, 08:40   #14124
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
No such luck I'm afraid Trikey.
I removed the cables and shifter and it turned out that the ferrule
came off the end of the fore-aft resulting in loss of movement.
I had this happen once before on an MGF but with an aftermarket replacement cable. If you have ever changed the gearchange cables on an MGF you will understand why it made me irate! A new factory cable off e-bay solved the problem.
I've ordered a set of replacement cables from DMGRS so I will be waiting patiently for them to arrive.

That's a strange one, I've never seen that before, at least parts are available and you can fit and forget for the next 20 years.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 11th March 2023, 10:21   #14125
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Took RKZ into MOT for a retest. Previously failed on a section of brake pipe corroded or pitted.
Now passed.😃

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2023, 00:46   #14126
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
That's a strange one, I've never seen that before, at least parts are available and you can fit and forget for the next 20 years.
I agree, it's a strange one. When it happened I could feel the bare wire ends "crunching" as I tried to shift and had a pretty good idea what it was.
I must have an MGR target on my back having had the same problem on my MGF probably 12 years ago.
Old 12th March 2023, 15:42   #14127
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Decided to wash my diesel today to get all the crud off from the last three weeks. Looks a lot better now. Used a wash brush to clean under the sills to remove any salt residue. Just hope we don’t have anymore snow.
Old 12th March 2023, 16:13   #14128
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

Default Rear Brake Back Plates

Not this weekend, but two weekends ago, after the handbrake shoes decided to leave company from where they're supposed to be fastened ( again ) I finally got around to replacing the back plates with new units from DMGR's.

I'm pleased to say everything went very well, nothing really gave me any trouble, I've seen where the handbrake cables can corrode themselves into the old back plates, but luckily might popped out without giving me to hard a fight!

All good now and a reasonably well working handbrake. ( it's never been fantastic since I've owned the car! )

Richard

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2023, 17:51   #14129
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Just got the engine/gearbox/clutch back together; bit of a struggle but there now. Glass of something RED to celebrate. Originally took out the clutch as it was beginning to slip, got it back together again OK but when I drove it for the 1st few feet there were no gears. I thought I may have damaged the splined middle of the friction plate so took it apart again and the plate was OK. Now the problems started. Couldn't get it to go back together; decided (against advices on this site I have now found out) to try and rectify a little misalignment by connecting up the clutch hydraulics and pushing down on the clutch peddle. Yes; the slave cylinder popped out! B!!!!!!!. Anyway. Took it all apart again, new slave and fettled the splines. To ?'s advice and put a couple of dabs of superglue to hold the friction plate on the pressure plate. As I was doing it Midwife fashion (i.e. not dropping the underframe (?) and squeezing hand in the narrow gap) I was surprised that the gap opened up enough to let the two bits stuck together to go through. Anyway. Tomorrow will do some more of the re-assembly and take a close look at the gear shift cables etc. Hope that I have managed to dislodge something rather than the ferrule coming off. Anyway. Many thanks to all who share their knowledge and/or bitter experiences on the site. Who was it said "If its not good for character its good for experience!"
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2023, 14:20   #14130
Tenesmus
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Had some starting issues recently, would have to try 2 or 3 times with just a "click" so I took a gamble on the starter solenoid.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252158930903

which I also had done with the same kit when I bought the car 8 years and 37,000 miles ago.

Cheaper than a new starter motor, and did the trick.
2005 Connoisseur 2.5 auto SE Tourer in BRG with Sandstone Beige and Black piping interior (the 2nd of only 7 Rover 75s produced 5th November 2004, and it’s the 244th of 303 facelift British Racing Green 75 tourers built worldwide). All I've done is add Rover walnut gear knob and handbrake...

2016 Vauxhall Viva SL (Father Jack) "assisted manual" (auto) in purple. Going rusty underneath already...

Tenesmus is offline   Reply With Quote