Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th January 2007, 23:21   #1
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Angry Quad Processors & Vista Need 2 Licences.

Just in case any of you have the newer Quad Processors (4 Cores) please be aware that under the new Licence Conditions on all Versions of Microsoft Vista a Licence only is for use on 2 Processors or Cores and will not activate on a "Quad" one you will have to enter 2 licence numbers which means buying 2 copies of any new Vista Version.

I think its Nuts & Myself & most Microsoft Registered Partners have complained with no joy to the Powers in the USA. This would seem a backward step that has got to be altered with Processor Improvement & Design going for more Multi Cores.

So in the Meantime BE AWARE.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 23:25   #2
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Just in case any of you have the newer Quad Processors (4 Cores) please be aware that under the new Licence Conditions on all Versions of Microsoft Vista a Licence only is for use on 2 Processors or Cores and will not activate on a "Quad" one you will have to enter 2 licence numbers which means buying 2 copies of any new Vista Version.

I think its Nuts & Myself & most Microsoft Registered Partners have complained with no joy to the Powers in the USA. This would seem a backward step that has got to be altered with Processor Improvement & Design going for more Multi Cores.

So in the Meantime BE AWARE.
That I am afraid to say John is the most utterly pathetic thing I have ever heard from Microsloth, how dare they.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 23:33   #3
JohnDotCom

Im getting use to their Petty Rules, They knew all about the New Processors in the Beta Versions so why not alter it then? I understand a Couple of the Computer Mags have now picked up on this, so lets see how long it takes for their Brains? to get into gear. I mean for the Ultimate Business version that would come to over £500 per Machine!

Yes I know use a MAC! or other Operating System, Problem is Most Companies Won't.

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 16th January 2007 at 23:36..
Old 17th January 2007, 09:29   #4
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Im getting use to their Petty Rules, They knew all about the New Processors in the Beta Versions so why not alter it then? I understand a Couple of the Computer Mags have now picked up on this, so lets see how long it takes for their Brains? to get into gear. I mean for the Ultimate Business version that would come to over £500 per Machine!

Yes I know use a MAC! or other Operating System, Problem is Most Companies Won't.
Petty rules is one thing, charging twice for what is one machine is outrageous.

Lot's of small companies do use Macs (very fortunately for me) Even so most of my business clients have at least one windows machine to do specific jobs. BACS for example.
With the advent of Intel powered machines and the useability of Boot Camp or Parrallels running windows in native mode then as their PCs die they will all be putting another Mac in place.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 17:22   #5
karlm

ZT-T

Have just recieved the following from a contact at Microsoft that explains the situation a little :

Dear Karl,

Thank you for your email about Multi-core Processors.

In response to your question, it is true that Microsoft® Windows Vista supports a maximum of two processors.

This however does not apply to multi-core processors. It refers to physical processors on the machine.

With a quad core processor therefore, you will only require the one licence.

I hope this information has answered your query but if you have any more questions please give us a call on 0870 60 10 100. Our lines are open Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm. Of course if you prefer, please send me an email.

Kind regards,

Jaswinder Randhawa
Customer Service Professional
karlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 18:40   #6
JohnDotCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlm View Post
Have just recieved the following from a contact at Microsoft that explains the situation a little :

Dear Karl,

Thank you for your email about Multi-core Processors.

In response to your question, it is true that Microsoft® Windows Vista supports a maximum of two processors.

This however does not apply to multi-core processors. It refers to physical processors on the machine.

With a quad core processor therefore, you will only require the one licence.

I hope this information has answered your query but if you have any more questions please give us a call on 0870 60 10 100. Our lines are open Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm. Of course if you prefer, please send me an email.

Kind regards,

Jaswinder Randhawa
Customer Service Professional
I can post you a Completely different reply from Head of Microsoft UK & US and its done to prevent Businesses from using Home Versions, unless they are making exceptions if you can prove it is realy for private use, but didn't work when we went to commision several machines recently. I will be re enquiring re your reply later. Will post statement on my return to UK. You would think they would let Microsoft Registered Partners know whats going on! & no mention of this on MCSE update course recently.

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 26th January 2007 at 18:44.. Reason: How come the time comes up UK time not where posted?
Old 26th January 2007, 23:39   #7
empsburna
Gets stuck in

Other Manufacturer

To answer you other Q - it comes up in the board time (probably set to GMT in your CP and not the time on the machine)

I'l have to wave this under or SQL guys noses - I wonder if they have seen it yet. They won't be too pleased!
empsburna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 12:40   #8
JohnDotCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by empsburna View Post
To answer you other Q - it comes up in the board time (probably set to GMT in your CP and not the time on the machine)

I'l have to wave this under or SQL guys noses - I wonder if they have seen it yet. They won't be too pleased!
Hi Due a Publishable Reply from Microsoft US on Monday Morning will Post.

The time difference was because when posting in US still states UK time on listing when read, its currently 08.41 over here, post says 13.40.
Old 31st January 2007, 17:02   #9
JohnDotCom

Right here we go Chaps & Ladies the "latest" answer from Microsoft USA re the Licences, much as hoped for and seemed logical to everyone:

"Dear John,

Thank you for your email here at the Microsoft® Ask Partner Team.

We have had so many enquiries about this and problems caused, so for the Foreseeable future this has now been quantified.

With your query, you are right in saying Windows Vista only supports up to two (2) processors. However this now means physical processors and not on the core.

Dual Core and Quad Core Processors can still be regarded as a single processor as they state the cores within the processor not the number of physical processors itself.

The link below confirms this and outlines the licensing rules on processors:

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/highlights/multicore.mspx

Microsoft announced that its server software that is currently licensed on a per-processor model will continue to be licensed on a per-processor, and not on a per-core, model. This policy will allow customers to recognize more performance and power from Microsoft software on a multicore processor system without incurring additional software licensing fees.
Licensing on a per-processor rather than a per-core basis ensures that customers will not face additional software licensing requirements or incur additional licensing fees when they choose to adopt multicore processor technology. Customers who use software from vendors that license by individual core, as other software vendors currently do, may face increased software costs when they upgrade to multicore processor systems. Multicore processor systems licensed on a per-processor basis will also help make this new enterprise computing technology affordable to mid-size and small business customers.

In regards to having 2 licenses to cover a PC that has more 2 processors, this limitation is a technical issue and not licensing. Vista only supports a maximum of 2 physical processors."

So we can now load it on most machines at present.

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 31st January 2007 at 17:09.. Reason: Link didn't copy properly
Old 31st January 2007, 20:49   #10
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

I am slowly plucking up the courage to get a copy... although a lot of my fellow muso's are a tad concerned about compatibility with our hardware and software dongles.. I feel slightly better after reading this

http://www.thewhippinpost.co.uk/news...-musicians.htm

but still...... it means spending more money