Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th May 2020, 16:18   #1
BigJohn
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Exterior door handle lubrication

My rears doors which aren’t used a great deal (no puns please) had been a bit stiff and grabby in operation for a while. Today the n/s exterior handle refused to open the door. I spent a good hour and a half reading threads on this issue.

Before going down the route of door card off and white clip adjustment I decided to try lubrication as suggested by some by locking the doors, then pulling on the handle and spraying lube downwards through the gap in the mechanism.

I was dubious, and used white lithium grease rather than WD40 but was pleasantly surprised that the outside handle not only opened the door but the action was now very smooth.

Fingers crossed this is a permanent fix, I’ll report back in a few months. If no further issues I’ll add this to my annual maintenance regime.

Certainly worth a try and thanks to previous poster’s suggestions I would just substitute WD40 for lithium grease as WD40 is a water displacer and degreaser rather than a lubricant.
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2020, 17:27   #2
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Door locks, striker plates etc all require routine attention, along with hinges, door restraints and bonnet locks etc.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2020, 17:48   #3
BigJohn
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
Door locks, striker plates etc all require routine attention, along with hinges, door restraints and bonnet locks etc.
I agree Ken, although this is the first time in 38 years of motoring that I’ve had to lubricate a door lock mechanism inside a door. I found especially important since the common usage of blippers to unlock and lock cars is to use graphite powder on external key slots every 6 months or so.
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 08:12   #4
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

WD40 - useless bodger's tool. It is primarily a water dispersant NOT a lubricant. As appropriate, use a penetrating oil, or a proper lubricant oil.
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 08:18   #5
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Rear door handles not working used to be a big problem back when the cars were still under warranty. In most cases, pulling on the handle and adding a bit of oil with an oil can sorted it. My local dealer started doing it at service as preventative maintenance.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2020, 19:17   #6
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

I would only ever use KABA cleaner & lube.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote