Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 6th June 2016, 19:54   #291
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I have real concerns that leaving the EU may cost us in jobs and prosperity in the future, but looking at the current way the EU is being run, and the direction it is taking, I've just voted out.

Better we determine our own future.
Old 6th June 2016, 19:54   #292
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebuilder View Post
Since moaning about media bias seems to be the order of the day, would it be churlish to mention at this point that the Spectator is famously Eurosceptic, and amongst others, it has a B Johnson as a former editor.
Bias exists - even on here!

Sifting through it is what most want to do.

Why don't you provide a link to a publication that presents an opposing view?

Surely there must be something, somewhere that shows the percentage of the various EU member countries populations that like the EU and really do not want any change?
Old 6th June 2016, 20:16   #293
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

Out, out and out again

Steve
Old 6th June 2016, 20:25   #294
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Since moaning about media bias seems to be the order of the day, would it be churlish to mention at this point that the Spectator is famously Eurosceptic, and amongst others, it has a B Johnson as a former editor.

Learning to differentiate between bias and bias is perhaps objective versus subjective. There's nothing wrong or untoward about having made a decision and thereafter being biased towards that conclusion.

However if that conclusion has been based on information from a supposedly independent but intrinsically biased source, the conclusion is based on indoctrination - bias as the objective of the informer.

Others having a contrary view to one's own is not bias in the general sense. Only those refusing to recognise any opposing opinion as valid would see concerns about contrary views as moaning. To ridicule the opposition is to strengthen their argument.
Old 6th June 2016, 20:27   #295
bobthebuilder
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE

I think the key to who wins the referendum will be the turn out. There seems to be too many undecided voters to call it either way. But the referendum is really about largely carrying on as before, or making a big change. The people wanting to change things are bound to feel more energised than the ones who want the status quo, so who wins will be decided by how many 'Remain' voters can be bothered to vote.

I also suspect a lot of natural Remain voters are a little irked about the while process. If the Tory party hadn't been so divided and leaking votes to UKIP would we even be having this referendum? I doubt it.

Last edited by bobthebuilder; 6th June 2016 at 20:29..
Old 6th June 2016, 20:33   #296
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
The Spectator an independent authorative source....
Old 6th June 2016, 20:40   #297
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

Well to the point I will be voting out. I would like to say that as a way of maintaining peace and trading it was a great idea, however the application has been less than perfect.

I will be voting out based on one idea only and that is the continued democratic right of every registered British voter to choose another NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- but then have the right to try and get rid. All other reasons are secondary.

Now the basics can be debated until the cows come home but on issues like immigration and the economy it will make little difference however we will be able to weigh up the costs v benefits to this and that and in all probability choose the same paths as the EU would have chosen for us. I however like to take responsibility for my own mistakes.

The naughty word was a type of bird.
Old 6th June 2016, 20:50   #298
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Quote:
I think the key to who wins the referendum will be the turn out. There seems to be too many undecided voters to call it either way. But the referendum is really about largely carrying on as before, or making a big change. The people wanting to change things are bound to feel more energised than the ones who want the status quo, so who wins will be decided by how many 'Remain' voters can be bothered to vote.

I also suspect a lot of natural Remain voters are a little irked about the while process. If the Tory party hadn't been so divided and leaking votes to UKIP would we even be having this referendum? I doubt it.

You suggest the leave voters might be more motivated to actually go out and vote. I'm not convinced you can make such assumptions. If you compare this with the Scotland vote, we would have to assume that those for maintaining the union would be the complacent ones, but have you noticed, they are the ones that terrified that the SNP secure a second referendum.
Your second point, regarding UKIP is however accurate, which by definition means this referendum is a party issue, designed to shore up the Tory vote. This is why so many considered it an outrage when the government took an active role in promoting the remain campaign. Of course as individuals and voters they are entitled to support whichever side they wish, but not to use the public purse to do so. As a result of this, and the scaremongering tactics, I won't be surprised if this turns out to be another referendum that just won't go away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 6th June 2016, 20:56   #299
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
The Spectator an independent authorative source....
And your sources are ................................................ what exactly?
Old 6th June 2016, 20:56   #300
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Oh dear, guesswork? Don't think so, he said it himself.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...8-30-year-old/

That's your middle stump gone, again.

Well that's another of your sources that left me with the feeling you misunderstood the thrust of what was said. Farage was planning for future development of his party along lines that would prevent the injustice they suffered under the prevailing electoral conditions - perfectly understandable and what any responsible party leader would do!

Further, I've seen other reports of the interview with Murnaghan and your source only printed a part of it, there being relevant additional material missed.

The journalist concerned, Christopher Hope, had his own interpretation of what Farage said offered as fact, not on old chap, not on.
Seriously Bob, be more investigative.