Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th August 2016, 10:59   #1
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

Default Will a Citroen C5 a former 75 Driver?

I have a car to sell a 2006 BMW 335i saloon advertised on Pistonheads. This was my sons car and to help him I took ownership. Now I don't get on with this hence its for sale.

Now while I have been in no man land looking for the ideal 75 - connie or cont CDTI with cruise I have also been drawn to the Citroen C5 Exclusive. The Exclusive comes with better sound proofing and the floaty ride I desire.

Has anyone owned or driven this car and if so would they care to comment.
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 11:35   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr bountyfull View Post
I have a car to sell a 2006 BMW 335i saloon advertised on Pistonheads. This was my sons car and to help him I took ownership. Now I don't get on with this hence its for sale.

Now while I have been in no man land looking for the ideal 75 - connie or cont CDTI with cruise I have also been drawn to the Citroen C5 Exclusive. The Exclusive comes with better sound proofing and the floaty ride I desire.

I have always fancied a big Citroen, but always been put off by their 'quirks' if they go wrong. Any car I have would have to be my daily. A quick google search seems to back this up, some people commenting that bulb replacement is an issue, a big issue. (Ask at a Halfords if they change the bulbs, as part of their service, it may back this up or disprove it).

I have always read of dodgy electrical issues and strange complicated faults. But then do all cars nowadays not have these? Try joining a Citroen owners forum, for perhaps a jaded but honest review (a bit like here). And like here, I reckon there are ways and means dealing with issues, some info based on that

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 11:38   #3
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I know someone who had one and it's a very nice car - nice ride, roomy, loaded with toys. It looks splendid.

The next tourer that I buy will hopefully be a Jaguar Sportbrake. Otherwise a C5 as in my view it has loads of character as well as the above qualities.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 12:04   #4
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I have a Citroen van, and found this forum very helpful
Old 28th August 2016, 12:31   #5
KernowRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon, 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr bountyfull View Post

I had one for just under a year.
Although a nice comfortable car to drive, it suffered from exhaust emission faults and cost me in excess £1000 to fix.

Would never buy another one.

Tom.

The Walnut Bling King.

KernowRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 12:59   #6
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I have heard also that the early models had problems with fuel getting into the oil, and the engine runs on its oil,the only way to stop it is park it against a wall and stall it.
Old 28th August 2016, 14:57   #7
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

I'd a C5 Exclusive 2.2 from new in 2003 and lived it. Very dependable car with good suspension, can't fault it really
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 15:13   #8
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

I did expect more tales of woe, so not too bad so far. If and when the BMW goes I will at least get a test drive.

It's for commuting only, 270 miles Sundays and Thursday/Friday. So the criteria is close to the 75 (Quiet, smooth and frugal) however there are more around with the elements needed compared to 75's.
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 15:33   #9
smallheathlad
Loves to post

No more aRover 75 Saloon

Hi I had a C5 Exclusive 2.2 Estate, purchased it with 56K on the clock sold it 2 years later with 114K. Great car and a joy to drive on the motorway used to have 120 daily commute to work. In the best part of 60k no problems as ever just servicing,very happy to get another one.
smallheathlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 17:05   #10
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
I have heard also that the early models had problems with fuel getting into the oil, and the engine runs on its oil,the only way to stop it is park it against a wall and stall it.
Ha ha. I would not do that in a French car, unless the wall is of the dry wall variety. A firm foot on the brake, car in 5th and that should sort the problem.

Could only apply to the Diesel engines, and that can happen to most (all?) Diesel engines if overfilled with oil, or if faulty.