Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th July 2017, 14:33   #1
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

Default Broke down yesterday - fuel problem

Hello folks

I bought the car in question 26/12/16 and just over 20000 miles later I found myself broken down. Luckly I was just a few miles (M6 Northbound 2 miles from J39 Shap) from home and the weather was fine.

I had just noticed a small bump and then a loss of power so drifted to the hard shoulder. I called the AA who were there in less than 30 minutes. I knew it was a fuel issue as I could still crank the engine over. The fuel gauge was indicating around 1/4 and the distance to empty displayed over 100 miles.

The AA man checked for fuel coming through with me cranking the engine over and only air. He stuck 5ltrs in and it fired up after a few cranks. So today after adding another 10ltrs I drove to the nearest station and brimmed the tank. It took just 34ltrs. This more or less makes the 100 mile range seem accurate so it would appear the final 2ltrs cannot be lifted by the in tank pump.

So finally the question is could this be a need for the yellow fuel pump clip or other?
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 16:31   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

A late V8 (assume this is what we're talking about) will suffer from Fuel Filter Syndrome (FFS) unless it has the Fabled Orange Clip (FOC) in position. That may not be your problem, but fit a FOC anyway. One thing less to go wrong. The pump should 'suck' whatever's in the tank, but 2 litres to dry is pressing it a bit.

A full tank contains 64 litres.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 16:41   #3
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

No sorry its not my V8 which has the clip fitted its my 2001 CDTi. Is it the same clip?
Old 15th July 2017, 16:51   #4
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr bountyfull View Post
No sorry its not my V8 which has the clip fitted its my 2001 CDTi. Is it the same clip?
If it's the CDTI with the problem, it will be a fuel pump problem. The 1/4 tank of fuel syndrome is well documented elsewhere on the forum. Do a search for underbonnet pump for more details as I am no expert on the diesels but have read of these symptoms before.
Old 15th July 2017, 20:44   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

OK, diesels may have two fuel pumps (one under the bonnet) or a single in-tank pump. The single (in-tank) pump system will fail to start if the pump has failed. On the other hand, the dual pump system can run fairly happily on the under-bonnet pump alone. However, due to the design of the ITP, it (the UBP) will suck air into the line if the tank contents get too low (the said quarter tank syndrome). Topping up the fuel level usully gets things going. Eventually the UBP is likely to fail though being over-stressed. Do you have an under-bonnet pump?

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 21:49   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr bountyfull View Post
No sorry its not my V8 which has the clip fitted its my 2001 CDTi.
Stephen, please update your profile to include your diesel. It is not fair to members trying to help you when the vehicle details are misleading.

Simon

Edit: Thanks very much!

Last edited by SD1too; 16th July 2017 at 16:53.. Reason: Profile updated as requested.
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 21:49   #7
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

Will check tomorrow. This is my third CDTi so have seen the pump problems before with the ITP and the Tube low pressure pump failing in sequence before.
Old 16th July 2017, 14:27   #8
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

I could hear the ITP pumping when listening through open fuel filler so I suspect FFS. I have ordered the now white clip

(http://www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk/mg-...jc000230-clip/ )

and will have a go next weekend.
Old 16th July 2017, 15:11   #9
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Don't waste too much time looking for an in tank fuel filter on the diesel, and don't waste money on a clip.

If the ITP is running then it sounds like you have a problem with the pipework in the tank, and air is getting into the circuit when the level is low.

Just to double check, whip the plug off the top of the UBP and then listen again at the open filler cap.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 16th July 2017 at 15:14..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote