Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th November 2017, 08:45   #11
dbt01
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryszard View Post
Crikey,must be a rare occurrence,was there any warning?Was it during normal driving.My sympathies and best of luck.Regards Ry...
.. the clue is in where he went for advice on the water problem, I suspect.
Quote:
... Dreadnought garage ...
Long long way from home, so three guesses why ?
Were there 140 extra neddies living under the bonnet all answering to the name of Kenne, maybe?

David

Last edited by dbt01; 10th November 2017 at 09:23..
dbt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 10:02   #12
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr bountyfull View Post
The taping of the inlet track joint as per the Dreadnought garage instructions seems to have completely rectified this annoying problem. Unfortunately I have since thrown a con-rod through the side of the engine block!!! New engine required.
Holy hell batman... how did you manage that? any pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryszard View Post
Crikey,must be a rare occurrence,was there any warning?Was it during normal driving.My sympathies and best of luck.Regards Ry...
Its a Ford engine they love to drop rods.... no seriously, his missfire might not have helped.
Weakened the ringland's and or it could have caused lean running or anything really.
Do we have any info as to why she let go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidBytheway View Post
.. the clue is in where he went for advice on the water problem, I suspect.
Long long way from home, so three guesses why ?
Were there 140 extra neddies living under the bonnet all answering to the name of Kenne, maybe?

David
ahhhhh! Supercharged?
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 13:57   #13
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRS View Post
Holy hell batman... how did you manage that? any pics?

Its a Ford engine they love to drop rods.... no seriously, his missfire might not have helped.
Weakened the ringland's and or it could have caused lean running or anything really.
Do we have any info as to why she let go?

ahhhhh! Supercharged?
Yes a S/C car. With regards to the misfire, it only happened once or twice with me lifting off straight away. There after it was never taken out in heavy rain until the resolution was found, acted on and tested.

I am no automotive engineer but the introduction of the water would never be good no matter how little, so yes it may have played a part. That said when given a chance the car was always allowed to hitch up its skirts and make progress. If not used this way why would I bother to fit a S/C.

I may have access to a 7k mile engine so fingers crossed it will be back on the road post winter as every previous year spanning 7 with the S/C.

The basic engine should not be taken over 5500 RPM and never over 6000 RPM unless stronger internals are fitted. Holding my hands up this may have happen a few time due to incorrect gear selection, again another potential reason for it letting go.

With any car aged 12 years or so things can and do go wrong.
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 14:31   #14
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Yes a S/C car. With regards to the misfire, it only happened once or twice with me lifting off straight away. There after it was never taken out in heavy rain until the resolution was found, acted on and tested.

I am no automotive engineer but the introduction of the water would never be good no matter how little, so yes it may have played a part. That said when given a chance the car was always allowed to hitch up its skirts and make progress. If not used this way why would I bother to fit a S/C.

I may have access to a 7k mile engine so fingers crossed it will be back on the road post winter as every previous year spanning 7 with the S/C.

The basic engine should not be taken over 5500 RPM and never over 6000 RPM unless stronger internals are fitted. Holding my hands up this may have happen a few time due to incorrect gear selection, again another potential reason for it letting go.

With any car aged 12 years or so things can and do go wrong.
No its as you say... i mean its an old style engine they dont like to be revved much.
Who tuned and mapped the car? that will play a large part in it im sure, i wouldnt be too worried about a super low millage unit, it could have had any inherrent weakness from factory for all we know.
Some engines take big power some dont, the Merc has been running 735bhp now for 30k miles and i drive it like it should be driven... on the money unless its cold or in need of a cool down, i monitor IATemps and oil temp.. as well as listening out or feeling for any difference in performance, i think staying keen and being involved deeping into making sure your engine is ok pays off in the long run.
Oil comes out clean as a whistle and metal free, compression test revealed all is slightly over spec and my oil analysis has always been right on the money.
It gets a change every 3k! dont blame yourself, its just one of those of things and with adding boost always comes that risk.
Old 10th November 2017, 15:52   #15
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

Hi Tom the entire upgrade was done by Dreadnought with all the history that goes with the Garages history. The map is a supplied by Sean Hyland Motorsport
https://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com...te=common/home

who supplied the complete install to Dreadnought. There was no symptoms before the catastrophic failure. Like you I always allow warm up and cool down of all my cars. Of course this old engine design was never state of the art but that allows me to run a pretty rare beast (S/C V8 manual saloon) at near bargain basement costs relative to any other similarly engaging saloon. The car will be fixed, hopefully as said earlier and putting smiles back on this face March 2018.
Old 11th November 2017, 06:26   #16
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Hi Tom the entire upgrade was done by Dreadnought with all the history that goes with the Garages history. The map is a supplied by Sean Hyland Motorsport
https://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com...te=common/home

who supplied the complete install to Dreadnought. There was no symptoms before the catastrophic failure. Like you I always allow warm up and cool down of all my cars. Of course this old engine design was never state of the art but that allows me to run a pretty rare beast (S/C V8 manual saloon) at near bargain basement costs relative to any other similarly engaging saloon. The car will be fixed, hopefully as said earlier and putting smiles back on this face March 2018.
Well kudos for putting the effort in! sounds like it was just something unfortunate then.
Shame but as you say onto bigger and better? maybe more power? new engine means all the weak points can be addressed.
Thanks for sharing really good read... any links/pics of the car with or without a hole in the block?
Old 11th November 2017, 09:25   #17
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Spray everything with WD 40. Stops the moisture settling that's causing the misfire.

Worked for me.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2017, 10:10   #18
dbt01
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Spray everything with WD 40. Stops the moisture settling that's causing the misfire.

Worked for me.---
If you look back at posts #7, #8 and #9, you'll see that the misfire wasn't ignition related, and has been fixed. Know what you mean about WD40, but its a bit messy and smelly and by no means always effective.

David
dbt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2017, 10:13   #19
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

If I get the opportunity to get a image/images of the hole/engine I will post them later.