Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th September 2018, 09:10   #31
ZedTeeT
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Well I must throw my hat in the ring for the tractors. My ZT-T has only had one alternator, one crank pulley and one UBP in 232k! Other than that, just regular servicing. I've only had it 3 years but it was my father's from nearly new. He'd spent money on other areas in common to any other car, but engine wise, it's always been sound, and still runs sweet.......... although needs a shed load of suspension work now

I couldn't possibly knock a good tractor!
85/C Capri 2.8i Special. Mine 29+ years.
82/X Talbot Tagora SX V6. Restoration project.
11/11 Hyundai I Load CRDi. Van....... nuff said.
ZedTeeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2018, 10:08   #32
Sebastienclement
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE

I do love this debate

My fleet consists of:

Diesel M47R - 160hp
2.0 Kv6
2.5 Kv6

I’ve had the diesel since 2014, and in that time it has needed: more suspension bits than I care to think about, engine mounts, auto box work (reverse piston) & crank pulley with belts. It’s been largely reliable, never let me down and has covered 60,000 miles in that time.

The 2.0Kv6 is now on 109,000 and I’ve owned it since 103,000 miles. I’ve spent more on this car than any other in the fleet but it is perfect. It’s as good as a new car. Only large engine expense has been the belts, waterpump & thermostat - all done because they were due not because of any symptoms.

2.5Kv6 sat on 160,000 miles - new to the fleet so 0 expenditure yet.

I’ve had 2 diesels previously (manuals), a 1.8 (n/a) & 2 other V6s. My choice would be the petrol models every time, specifically the V6s. I’ve never been stranded by a 75 and never had an overheating issue with any of them. All in all, they have all cost a similar amount to run per mile with the exception of my current 2.0v6 (as I said, I’ve just spent £5k to get it perfect).

The biggest difference between all of diesel and petrol models that I’ve had, is the amount of rattles and bits of trim that have fallen off inside. Even with a smooth running M47R and good engine mounts, the interiors DO suffer.
Sebastienclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2018, 21:13   #33
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Didn't Lotus move to a Japanese engine when they found the K engine too unreliable as tuned for the early Elise?
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2018, 22:00   #34
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

While my "Special K"-series may NOT be bulletproof Given the Piston Damage I uncovered recently - the Engine was still driving and running better than a lot of Cars do with No supposed issues

I'm Not sure why it would be a concern to drive a K-series at 90mph for a length of time - the K-series was (as far as i'm aware) designed to be operated at around 6250 RPM Continuously with occasional periods of Higher RPM use

I MAY or may NOT have taken my Car to the High End of 4th Gear Once IF I did it was Probably on the Autobahn tho

From my experience the 1.8t K-series Does NOT live up to the Negative Hype it's Best kept a Secret tho

I recently saw a Video claiming to be a K-series i assume it was in a Lotus Elise - hard to be sure as the Video never showed much of the Car or Engine - I forget the Torque Figures (high Enough tho) it peaked around 530BHP with an expected 600BHP with a bigger Fuel Pump I'm Assuming Forged Internals etc.. still

I'm sure there was mention of the Car running 300BHP or so on Standard Internals

No hate for the Diesel Engines tho - I've Never driven one I'm sure they'll be Great - Comparing the latest 1.4t Petrol Zafira with a previous Diesel Zafira the Diesel had better Power Delivery (forget the engine size) the Turbo on the New Petrol Car loses puff too early.

I like having a Rover Engine in my Rover tho

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2018, 22:42   #35
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Perhaps we were unlucky with my wife's MGF VVC, purchased at 75,000, with clean, green coolant, drove lovely, took us to Portsmouth, Birmingham, around the Dales (over some steep hills), even stop-start on the M6 for miles in the summer, the temperature gauge never went high. Having for several years, looked at many a 2nd hand Rover -25s, 214 and 216 cabbies, and coupes, and found a surprising number with mayo in the header tank, or openly acknowledged HG, this F was great for the first 5,000 miles, and we checked the oil and water every week. Then one Friday, less than 2 miles from setting off, my wife noticed the smell of coolant, the gauge had gone high, so she coasted into the firstcar park and switched off. The Tpiece hose with the jiggle valve had exploded (overpressure) and the HG had gone. Sadly, the subsequent engine flush before repair dislodged some carbonised crud, blocking the crank oilways, and it seized solid, full of fresh oil, about 6 weeks later. I'd have another, in a 'fun car', for non-essential use, but as a car to rely on for long distance commuting? Sadly, I think not.
Old 10th September 2018, 23:04   #36
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Perhaps we were unlucky with my wife's MGF VVC, purchased at 75,000, with clean, green coolant, drove lovely, took us to Portsmouth, Birmingham, around the Dales (over some steep hills), even stop-start on the M6 for miles in the summer, the temperature gauge never went high. Having for several years, looked at many a 2nd hand Rover -25s, 214 and 216 cabbies, and coupes, and found a surprising number with mayo in the header tank, or openly acknowledged HG, this F was great for the first 5,000 miles, and we checked the oil and water every week. Then one Friday, less than 2 miles from setting off, my wife noticed the smell of coolant, the gauge had gone high, so she coasted into the firstcar park and switched off. The Tpiece hose with the jiggle valve had exploded (overpressure) and the HG had gone. Sadly, the subsequent engine flush before repair dislodged some carbonised crud, blocking the crank oilways, and it seized solid, full of fresh oil, about 6 weeks later. I'd have another, in a 'fun car', for non-essential use, but as a car to rely on for long distance commuting? Sadly, I think not.
K series engines are rubbish Andrew, my daily drive up until two years ago only managed 40,000 miles per annum for nine and a half years.

The only 75 I've gone out to buy because it was exactly what I wanted was an 1800T, I didn't want a diesel, or V6.

I have owned one of every engine choice now, barring a 190, and I still prefer driving my 1800 to any of the stone crushers, it may not be fast, but it's certainly civilised

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2018, 23:38   #37
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
Didn't Lotus move to a Japanese engine when they found the K engine too unreliable as tuned for the early Elise?

They changed because Powertrain (a division of the MG-Rover group who produced the engines) was placed in to administration.

And also because they wanted to sell their cars in the US and the K-series didn't meet Federal emissions regulations.
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2018, 07:17   #38
wizzo337
Loves to post

mg zt

Default K Series and BMW

I have a Diesel ZT and a 1.8 K Series ZS, they both have plus and minus factors, but they are both great in their own way. The ZT will sit all day at 70mph and sip fuel whilst feeling so comfortable and the ZS can be thrown about with complete abandon. In short, I love them both.
wizzo337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2018, 14:54   #39
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

A relatively new BMW drove past me while i was out walking today what a racket - Broken me thinks

My Brother in law Scrapped his BMW due to HGF (last year i think it was) - also about a month ago, I went out to offer help/tools after i Heard a BMW lose a Driveshaft while trying to move off

All Car makes(in the used car market) will suffer from Neglect/Misuse/Lack of Proper Maintenance/Cheap Service parts being used and Sometimes "Bad Luck"

I broke a Piston due to "Misuse" it was an Operator Error

I was able to re-time a Slipped/Jumped(for the 2nd time) Timing Belt in the Road - and Drive home 70 odd miles with NO drama and the K-Series Ran so Smooth - If i hadn't Known Better I would NOT have thought there was an issue - I Could share a Video clip taken (by my passenger) on the drive home maybe I "Got Lucky"

r.e the "BulletProof BMW Engine" headlining a lot (ALL) Diesel 75/ZT ads is the Engine used in our Cars not a "Downgraded" Version of the Engine fitted in BMW Badged Cars ?

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2018, 20:40   #40
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Having just read this 2005 discussion on HGF in Kseries engines, I am now re-thinking my attitude to the 1.8 fitted in most R75/ZTs. It would appear that several modifications made to the engines from 2000 on, rendered it much less
prone to HGF. My experience, and others' reported K series HGF relates to MGFs and early Freelanders, and several 416 models, as well as the odd 25. So if/when my CTD is finally sent to the scrapyard, I'll probably be looking for a nice 75,000 mile 1.8T with a decent history. That's if you're still allowed to run an IC engined car at all! https://forums.xpowerforums.com/arch...p/t-21487.html