Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th March 2019, 08:15   #11
ChestersDad
Still 75less :-(

1988 Defender 90

Thumbs up

Brilliant!

ChestersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 09:14   #12
IGH
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

That has definitely got my vote. Like some others I wouldn't need the gesture sensor at this stage but it looks like a fairly simple task to retrofit the steering wheel electronics.

Very interested to see what these come in at pricewise.
IGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 09:52   #13
Robti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190+,Rover 800 vitesse coupe

yes I would be interested and I suppose I will be the first to ask, can we get different colours as a few will have changed from the rover amber ?
Old 13th March 2019, 10:54   #14
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

The plastic buttons are made a of a white plastic which is semi-permeable to light, they are then sprayed with a black paint and the symbols are laser etched through to the white base material.

I suspect they just simply made the buttons in the same way as all the others which were intended to be illuminated.

Regarding illumination colour, yes, if you look closely at the R/H side of the prototype switch PCB you will see 'colour option' A/B, this was going to be just A or B, then I thought about it a bit more and suspect most people would want Amber or Blue, so it sort of works that way too I did think about installing RGB LEDs which could then be controlled by the micro on the encoder, but this just adds yet more cost and complexity, and I suspect most people would be happy with just one fixed colour. If people want some odd colour I'd be happy to replace the LEDs on the PCB for them.

The switch PCB has been designed so it can be used as a direct illuminated replacement for the original using SMD resistors on the back (but not for cars with cruise control owing to the lack of pins in the clockspring), or with the digital kit using a zero-ohm link to change its layout and work with the encoder.

The idea is there would be three of four kits available, a basic illuminated replacement for the audio PCB (still analogue - so the gesture sensor cannot be used with it). An illuminated digital audio-only version (with gesture sensor), a full digital audio + cruise kit, and then a full monty audio+cruise + gesture sensor kit.

I have been revising the layout a bit more and adding some future-proofing for a possible (dare I mention it) heated steering wheel feature. But I can't see this being done easily as it would involve re-wrapping the leather on the steering wheel and installing some carbon heating tape underneath the new leather, and this is one hell of a lot of skilled work.

Last edited by neilbaker86; 13th March 2019 at 11:16..
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 11:22   #15
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

It's great, and if I had the skill and the interest I'd probably do it. Thing is, I don't crave it, those buttons are easy to find and use by feel, I don't need or want to look down at them. As for cruise, when activated the wheel is straight anyway. I wish you every success and keep up with the ideas.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 11:52   #16
Bogbrush82
I really should get out more.......

BMW X3 2.0D

Looks fantastic. I also wouldn't need the gesture sensor, however the idea of illuminated steering wheel controls really does tick a lot of boxes.

So say between £30 to £40 for a non cruise version - any idea what it would cost for a cruise version without gesture sensor?
Old 13th March 2019, 12:02   #17
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 View Post
So say between £30 to £40 for a non cruise version - any idea what it would cost for a cruise version without gesture sensor?

About £80-90. Involves four PCBs and associated wiring.

I'm giving worst-case scenario regarding pricing, as I'd rather say it's going to be more than it actually turns out to be than less. The more we can get the cost could come down as certain costs would be shared, as the designs need to be 'panelized', and then stainless steel SMD stencils need to be produced, along with the setup of the components and pick and place machine etc. And there is the cost of making up the looms, crimping terminals etc.

Last edited by neilbaker86; 13th March 2019 at 12:06..
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 12:33   #18
marti666
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

Great Idea's ..... I'd be interested in the steering wheel lights but I'd be scared of setting off the airbag while trying to remove it with my less than delicate touch.....
marti666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 12:37   #19
marti666
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

do you mind if I put a link to this thread on Landyzone as some of the guys there may also be interested?
marti666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 13:36   #20
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Great work, one thing that does bug me is fiddling about and trying to guess which button I'm pressing on the cruise controls at night.

I'm currently still suffering from the trauma of my oil suction pump disaster and won't be doing anything out of the ordinary to my car for the immediate future, but best of luck with orders/interest.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote