Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th January 2010, 16:42   #1
Villa Villan
I really should get out more.......

ZT-T 160 1.8T

Default "Check Engine" Message

Yesterday when I set off for work about 5 minutes in the message center flashed up " Check Engine" with the engine warning light also on "yellow", this went off after a minute or so and I took it easy for the rest of the 5 mile trip...Of course I was concerned once I got to work and when I got a moment I thought I would check the coolant levels and the oil, all looked fine and on my return trip this afternoon one eye in a fashion was on the dash and the other where it should be looking and all was normal including the temperature guage...Was this a gremlin moment or should I be looking out for something else?.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Tony

Last edited by Villa Villan; 30th January 2010 at 16:46..
Villa Villan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 16:43   #2
Ragman
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE

Hi Tony

Mine came on and stayed on and am now without a car while Peter Wayte in Woking gets to the bottom of it, mine appears to be fuel/exhaust system related.

Work getting a tester on it to see if any useful fault codes come up

Cheers

Colin
Old 30th January 2010, 16:48   #3
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa Villan View Post
Yesterday when I set off for work about 5 minutes in the message center flashed up " Check Engine" with the engine warning light also on "yellow", this went off after a minute or so and I took it easy for the rest of the 5 mile trip...Of course I was concerned once I got to work and when I got a moment I thought I would check the coolant levels and the oil, all looked fine and on my return trip this afternoon one eye in a fashion was on the dash and the other where it should be looking and all was normal including the temperature guage...Was this a gremlin moment or should I be looking out for something else?.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Tony
had this happen on mine, diesel 75, several months ago while travelling at 90 mph for some time on the continent,slowed down and light went off. never seen it again. think it was a gremlin, or did not like the speed/ambient temp.
car was running o/k, and not running hot. could have been an injector playing up.
Old 30th January 2010, 16:56   #4
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
had this happen on mine, diesel 75, several months ago while travelling at 90 mph for some time on the continent,slowed down and light went off. never seen it again. think it was a gremlin, or did not like the speed/ambient temp.
car was running o/k, and not running hot. could have been an injector playing up.
On a diesel, a common reason for this is the wiring to the fuel filter head being very tight. Sometimes it pulls enough that it might look OK on visual inspection but gives an occasional engine check indication. Easing the wiring loom at that point cures it
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 17:10   #5
DavidNW
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club 1.8, 2001, royal blue, owned by im up norf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa Villan View Post

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Tony
Had the same problem a while back. Rover garage said a misfire can cause this - amongst other things.
DavidNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 17:20   #6
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

check engine and the MIL light,a fault code will be stored in the ecu.

could be a failing spark plug that caused the missfire with a cold engine.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 18:08   #7
Villa Villan
I really should get out more.......

ZT-T 160 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab View Post
check engine and the MIL light,a fault code will be stored in the ecu.

could be a failing spark plug that caused the missfire with a cold engine.
New plugs is on my agenda as a wee miss has been had on start whatever time of day for the first few minutes...First job me thinks chaps to all that have replied...What do you think?.

Cheers
Tony
Old 30th January 2010, 18:32   #8
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

I've had the light come on twice over the last few years, each time it was due to "misfire" - the MIL light did not go off and had to be reset using my OBD diagnostic box (not T4). In my case I think it is on a very rare occasion when the cruise kicks in, I can set ity to be smoother I think and that would sort it.

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 19:33   #9
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Mine came on the day I changed the oil and filter recently. it went off just after I noticed it, not come on since, I know not why?
Devilish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 15:34   #10
Lhasa

Volvo V50 D5 Geartronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
Mine came on the day I changed the oil and filter recently. it went off just after I noticed it, not come on since, I know not why?
I have had my Check Engine light come on for about a half mile several times since the beginning of this year but I found this on another completely un-related bulletin board :-

"
Under some circumstances (for example if poor quality fuel is used), deposits may build up on the small metering holes in the fuel injectors and restrict the flow. This will tend to cause poor performance and "driveability", and on more modern (post-1996 in the US) vehicles the Check Engine light will probably illuminate. Acetone may be able to remove these deposits and restore normal operation - though there are much less "risky" ways to achieve the same effect, such as using proprietry injector cleaner or even a few tankfuls of a premium fuel every so often."

So that may be the answer for several other posters here.
Lhasa is offline   Reply With Quote