Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th December 2006, 21:36   #1
Rich
Posted a thing or two

http://Roadca.ms - Letting you see what they see!

Unhappy I don't even know where to start on this one!

A very long story cut very short.

I had a phone call this evening from my (very blonde) daughter who had somehow managed to crash her car (a Mk3 Granada) into her neighbours house. Quite literally into it, at significant speed, in reverse!

The car itself is totalled, the rear doors won't open, the boot won't close and the car is a good 3ft shorter than it was yesterday.

Luckily, bumps and bruises only to herself but she is more concerned about the damage to the house she has hit.

I presume her (fully comp) insurance will cover any structural damage (they're still there now shoring it up!) ??

From what we can gather, the house she hit is council owned and the tenant is away until Tuesday (nice welcome home, eh?).

I'm guessing the council will have buildings insurance, rather than the tenant?

I'm also guessing the councils insurers will go to my daughters car insurers seeking a claim?

How is something like this likely to affect her (policy wise?), of course an "own fault write off" will bump up her premiums, but what about the £10,000+ damage to the house, will that have an impact on her policy?

More importantly, can her car insurers get out of it and say she has to pay??? - seriously

An interesting end to 2006, I'm sure you'll agree
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 21:41   #2
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

Talking

As long as she is okay which is always the important part.

Corner of the house or an elevation?

Insurer will cough up as long as it is an accident.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 21:42   #3
Simon
Banned

-

If your daughter is fully comp insured then that will cover damge to properties too.

Hopefully there will no get-out-clauses to mke your daughter liable for any costs so the insurer will most likey bear the brunt of the repair's needed.

Obviously it will push the premium up (ie, lose any no-claims bonus, etc) but as to how much that really is up to the insurers I'm affraid.

Best the insurers know as soon as possible and that after you have done that then the council should know as soon as possible too.

Hopefully it'll all get sorted out smoothly but this sort of thing can become a bit bogged down in legalities and I don't want to start debating on those as it's not really my place (nor my knowledge) to do so.

Hope this helps! :lol:
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 22:27   #4
Rich
Posted a thing or two

Cheers gents

We called the police, who said they did not need to come out as it was an accident, no crime had been commited as such, but they kindly rang the council who had people out within the hour proping up some poor womans house.

She has hit the house dead on in the front door, you'd think she was trying to get in it's so perfectly centered.

They council blokes took out the (broken) front room window and removed what was left of the door. They've also put up some acrow props around the door and window. Some rather large cracks in the front of the house, the lower portion of the bay window is missing completely too. Doesn't look good

Anyway, it'll be a weight off my daughters mind knowing she won't have to fork out $$$

Cheers!
Old 30th December 2006, 22:37   #5
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichK View Post
Cheers gents

We called the police, who said they did not need to come out as it was an accident, no crime had been commited as such, but they kindly rang the council who had people out within the hour proping up some poor womans house.

She has hit the house dead on in the front door, you'd think she was trying to get in it's so perfectly centered.

They council blokes took out the (broken) front room window and removed what was left of the door. They've also put up some acrow props around the door and window. Some rather large cracks in the front of the house, the lower portion of the bay window is missing completely too. Doesn't look good

Anyway, it'll be a weight off my daughters mind knowing she won't have to fork out $$$

Cheers!
The work to the house could have been greater as well. Structually if you want to hit a house and leave it standing is to go through the front door. Corners are the weak points. Hitting windows and doors are the best place to damage and repair.

Glad she is not so sad now.

Has she thought of what to write on the form.......
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 23:01   #6
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Rich the main thing is your daughter is ok Nothing else is that important really in the grand scheme of things.
The insurance premiums will increase to a degree but unsure if property repairs will load up the policy or not. After all an accident is called such as it is an accident and these things do happen which is why we have insurance in the first place.

I actually read it expecting a punch line at the end, sorry mate, I thought you may have been playing.
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 22:02   #7
Rich
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lates View Post
the main thing is your daughter is ok
Well, she was, until I got a phone call at 10AM this morning from her saying she can't move and can I take her to hospital (cue immediate panic!)

Spent the best part of four hours in an A&E waiting room, luckily (if that's the right word) just muscle and tissue damage across both shoulders (something about a rotator cuff!?).

They dosed her up on anti-inflamatories and send us packing.

So all in all, no serious damage done, as above, just bumps and brusies.

Tuesday will be interesting, the woman's house that she hit comes back from hols, the council who own said house will be on our case for insurance details, her own insurance company will want a full explanation (minor report logged yesterday) and so on.

Roll on 2007

Have a good one tonight Club members, off to start my festivities now
Old 31st December 2006, 22:49   #8
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichK View Post
Well, she was, until I got a phone call at 10AM this morning from her saying she can't move and can I take her to hospital (cue immediate panic!)

Spent the best part of four hours in an A&E waiting room, luckily (if that's the right word) just muscle and tissue damage across both shoulders (something about a rotator cuff!?).

They dosed her up on anti-inflamatories and send us packing.

So all in all, no serious damage done, as above, just bumps and brusies.

Tuesday will be interesting, the woman's house that she hit comes back from hols, the council who own said house will be on our case for insurance details, her own insurance company will want a full explanation (minor report logged yesterday) and so on.

Roll on 2007

Have a good one tonight Club members, off to start my festivities now
Hopefully your daughter is doing ok now.
Let's hope her insurance company are understanding and helpful just as mine were a couple of years back when I hit someone in a traffic queue. They helped out and sorted out all the legalities on my behalf. Lost my no-claims (which wasn't suprising) but they did stop the other driver pulling a fast-one against me and claiming more than what was due.

Happy new year to you all!
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2007, 10:30   #9
Simon W
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.0 Litre Club Saloon

Hope she's still OK Rich. Tell her not to feel too embarrassed about the whole episode. I hit my sister's house a hefty whack in my Volvo 740. It's easily done!
Simon W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2007, 10:56   #10
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Hope it is all sorted Rich.....

My wife hit the side of our house...I was in the bath...the bath shook....I rushed downstairs to find her getting out the car, stereo on full blast, completely oblivious to the fact that she had hit the house....£750.00 repair bill later she wasn't quite so oblivious!
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote