Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st March 2015, 09:27   #1
MJx220
Avid contributor

ZT 131+ CDTi

Default differences between MKI & MKII?

Hi all,
Trying to make an informed decision on a car, not because I'm looking to buy right this second but because when I do come to buy in a few months time I'll know exactly what to look for

So could anybody bullet point the differences between the MKI & MKII 75 and ZT? Although from what I know at the minute I wouldn't mind a MKI ZT as much as I would mind a MKI 75 due to the fact said ZT doesn't look as out dated as said 75

Regards,
Michael.
Old 21st March 2015, 10:02   #2
Jordan Apex
This is my second home

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

pretty much just the bumper and headlights, although there was a change to the thermostat (i think) on the 1.8 at some point but people with more understanding of that engine will be able to tell you when and the pros and cons of each.

If you get a really early 75 i.e. before a point in 2001 it will be pre project drive which was basically a money saving scheme so they had some nice detailed touches on them that were later deleted. There is a thread called pre project drive illustrated if you want to search that to find out exact details.

Apart from those there isn't much different at all, you can even change the bumpers and headlights from either mk to the other if you so wish
Jordan Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 10:06   #3
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

I just do not like the Mk2 front bumper, looks horrible to me, but then like everything else in life, its personal.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 10:14   #4
B12VEE
Banned

Rover 75

The running gear in essence never changed so all the engines and gearboxes are the same.

Remember the 1.8T came out about 2002 ish.

The rest is down to saving money and trim choices etc.

The Club and Club SE was dropped in the facelift and all these adverts where they claim the car is top spec are normally wrong.

One thing that makes them think this is the 75/ZT don't have any blank switchs on show so hence the thought its top spec.

The rest is down to looks and if you want a car with the cost savings or not.
B12VEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 10:16   #5
sjc
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 180 Sports +, 2007 completely restored XJ 4.2 LWB Sovereign,Noble M400,LR Discovery 3

Differences ? Massive . A pre-project car will feel special , a cost cutting late car will just feel .. Well like a car really . I'm truly shocked at the difference between my previous PPD 75 and my 36k mile 54 plate. It's only when you have experience of both that you truly realise what a difference there is. My early car could compete with anything materials and refinement wise, my current one feels like it was aimed at the rep market .. Which by then it probably was.Project drive completely destroyed the whole ethos of the brand.
Old 21st March 2015, 10:23   #6
Jordan Apex
This is my second home

Jaguar XFR 2011MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjc View Post
Differences ? Massive . A pre-project car will feel special , a cost cutting late car will just feel .. Well like a car really . I'm truly shocked at the difference between my previous PPD 75 and my 36k mile 54 plate. It's only when you have experience of both that you truly realise what a difference there is. My early car could compete with anything materials and refinement wise, my current one feels like it was aimed at the rep market .. Which by then it probably was.Project drive completely destroyed the whole ethos of the brand.
important to add though that not all MK1 cars are pre project drive so you can still get a MK1 that is the same as your 54 plate
Jordan Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 10:36   #7
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJx220 View Post
I wouldn't mind a MKI ZT as much as I would mind a MKI 75 due to the fact said ZT doesn't look as out dated as said 75

Regards,
Michael.
Wash your mouth out ! The "outdated" look is what it is all about There is a rumour that Facelift cars were made in a Ford factory .....
Old 21st March 2015, 11:04   #8
Paulifa1
Loves to post

75 launch car

I've owned 5 75's now, ranging from my current 99 launch car to a late 2002 entirely post project drive model, the earlier the car, the nicer it's felt.

I've also test driven some of the later Mk2 cars and was surprised at how much more ordinary they felt A combination of thinner carpets, less/cheaper soundproofing, plain rubber door seals rather than felt lined, and myriad other slightly cheaper built parts adds up to change the feel of the car considerably.

The other side of the coin is, the earlier the car the more carefully you need to check it for corrosion, purely just as a result of time really. Looked after 75's generally don't rust much at all due to the galvanised body, but can sometimes rust locally at the rear lower bottom sill area. Bonnets also rust through sometimes at the left or right leading edge.
Paulifa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 11:34   #9
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

You could always do what I did. Buy a late model, low mileage facelift and retro fit goodies that were cheapened, omitted or lost from the earlier models (for whatever reason?). That way, you get the best of both worlds.
Mike
Old 21st March 2015, 11:43   #10
burchy182
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 CDTI Contemporary BRG (2005)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
You could always do what I did. Buy a late model, low mileage facelift and retro fit goodies that were cheapened, omitted or lost from the earlier models (for whatever reason?). That way, you get the best of both worlds.
Mike
It'd be interesting to see your car as I too have a facelift model and I'd be interested to see what you've done. And I'm only down the road ....... Are you going to the King's Lynn meet next month?
burchy182 is offline   Reply With Quote