Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd December 2016, 14:08   #1
Kennypit

Mg zt

Thumbs up Fuel consumption

Hi all having had rovers and mg cars for many years, my car is now an mg ztt auto, I am down 10 mpg to my previous zt manual (which is up for sale) this may be a silly question but can I run constantly in the snow mode as I know it changes gears sooner rather than the normal setting to save on fuel,I expected the auto to be a bit heavier on fuel but not as much as10 mpg anyone advise on this thanks Kenny
Kennypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 18:26   #2
MikeJohn
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Sadly from others claims of what they achieve with a manual I suspect that may be right, especially with town driving.

Mike
MikeJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 18:36   #3
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennypit View Post
Hi all having had rovers and mg cars for many years, my car is now an mg ztt auto, I am down 10 mpg to my previous zt manual (which is up for sale) this may be a silly question but can I run constantly in the snow mode as I know it changes gears sooner rather than the normal setting to save on fuel,I expected the auto to be a bit heavier on fuel but not as much as10 mpg anyone advise on this thanks Kenny
from memory, the book mpg for the auto was 10 mpg lower. I did try the snow mode, but didnt notice much difference. combining an attempt at hyper miling (difficult in an auto lol) , starting off in normal mode, and then putting it into snow mode once moving for the earlier changes. From what I recall I think i got an additional 3 mpg. But only attempted it for about 100 miles.

You could try resetting the auto ECU. I cannot remember the fuse, but either the fuse removed, or battery disconnected for 30 minutes. I was sceptical, when I heard of this, but it does alter the characteristics of the changes. Drive hard for long enough, the gear changes will get longer and longer. Drive gently, and gradual, and it will change very similarly to the snow mode.

Also make sure all unnecessary weight is removed (good excuse to eat less over christmas lol :P ), tyres correctly inflated etc. windows up, roof bars removed, thermostat working correctly, etc.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 19:31   #4
fandango151
Loves to post

Rover 75

Add extra weight of an LPG tank and you'll never worry again

Autos always use more .. conventional ones anyway ... Vs a manual.
fandango151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 20:10   #5
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

All my driving is around town in stop start traffic & I've rarely see it above 20mpg.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 21:07   #6
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts
Default Worried, you shouldn't be.......

........... If you worry about fuel consumption, owning either a ZT or 75 is not really for you

Anyway, around the town a manual diesel circa 45 MPG and an auto 38 MPG, anyone telling tales of how they achieved 60 MPG five up, with a roof rack carrying a spare car in case their fuel pump packs in being so under worked, should be taken with a liberal pinch of salt.

Remember the ZT-T is heavier than the ZT, which also has an impact on consumption

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 21:12   #7
mccano
Loves to post

MG ZTT,Chrysler 300 Touring

Brian,

You have a pm..

Luciano
mccano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2016, 21:21   #8
Christopher Price
Banned

None at the moment.

There's a massive difference between the mpg on CDT manual and automatic, 10 mpg difference, sounds about right to me.
Christopher Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2016, 08:29   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Fuel consumption

Kenny; to the forum.

I wonder how you are measuring your fuel consumption. If you're relying on the trip computer then my advice would be don't! 'Brim-to-brim' is the most accurate method. By comparing the two, I have found that the computer is pretty good for long distance cruising but is hopeless for 'stop-start' driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennypit View Post
... can I run constantly in the snow mode as I know it changes gears sooner rather than the normal setting to save on fuel ...
It's a myth that changing up earlier saves fuel. In fact, it can have quite the opposite effect if the driver has to press the accelerator pedal further in order to maintain or increase speed.
The best way to get the most miles per gallon is gentle acceleration and reading the road ahead. Also, don't use the car at all for journeys where the engine doesn't reach normal operating temperature. For your diesel, that's quite a few miles I understand. Which reminds me, have you checked your coolant temperature recently? If you have the common diesel fault of a lazy thermostat, that's going to have an impact on your fuel consumption.

Oh, one other thing! Leaving the engine running to 'warm it up' in the morning will also obviously decrease mpg, as will using your FBH if you have one.

Simon
Old 24th December 2016, 08:43   #10
2.8jonmy
Regular poster

Rover 75 tourer

So far per tank I have managed 32(all local) 38(some long trips)and 35(mostly local) mpg from a manual cdti tourer, most journeys have been local and the thing is rarely fully up to temperature.
My MAF sensor is a bit suspect as it had all the hall marks of poor exceleration to 2k revs until I disconnected it, then I refilled the tank and discovered my hideous fuel economy. At that point I cleaned the sensor and reconnected it with an improvement over the original stepped power but not as good as running with no maf connected and no apparent improvement in fuel consumption.

They are less economic than I had hoped.
Jon.
2.8jonmy is offline   Reply With Quote