Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th October 2018, 16:10   #1
Mr bountyfull
Gets stuck in

MGZTV8

Default Battery Fault??

Hello folks

My car had snapped a conrod destrying the engine last October and I collected it last week, many reasons for the extended period that need not be discussed anyway...

I brought my car back from Linden Cahills garage in Huddersfield who completed the engine swap last weekend and when collecting the car Linden commented on a door open indication that started the morning I collected. He had run his diagnostic but was unable to see the item that was causing the problem. I suggested the problem would be the battery and I would get to it later.

During the prolonged period off road the car was hooked up to a battery conditioner but as I had had a similar fault before and eventually cured the fault with a new battery I was highly confident it would be the same again. I dug out my receipt which was for less than on year old and headed of to Halford where I bought the battery. I explained my thinking on the fault and that I would be buying a new one even if they (Halfords) were unable to replace like for like under the batteries warranty.

They tested the battery which was in rude health (I was expecting this the last time was the same!) so I suggested they fit a new one just to test my hipothisys. On fitting the new battery the air bag and door open fault cleared as I expected however the lad suggested we reconnect my battery again just to be sure, the fault remained clear so we both agree it must have been the connections to the battery posts that were not a 100%. So with no £ charge I set off home parked up locked the car (no alarm as before) and went in the house. Within twenty minutes the alarm was going off and the air bag and the door open signals had returned. So played with the terminals,a little emery paper etc but no joy!

I have a fluke down in Newbury which I will bring up next time and search for what I now think is a bad connection causing a volt drop. However until then has anyone any suggestions?

Sorry for the long post.
Mr bountyfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 18:14   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Could be a poor connection where the battery earth lead connects to the car. Corrosion. ----
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote