Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th October 2018, 14:14   #1
fandango151
Loves to post

Rover 75

Default Redundency

Well I posted a while ago about being none to happy in new job (2nd one in a year), prior to the 3 years and 10 years solid service in other companies.

Well after two months I've been entered into consultation about redundancies. My gut feel is F you as I'm entitled to nothing anyway. My role maps very well over to the new structure but I wish to say make me redundant. Redundancy over resigning as if the need to claim comes and it would excuse this short stint with potential new employers.

Slight flaw is they say if I ask for redundancy and not apply for new positions apparently I've resigned.

Two schools of thought.. Explain and say let me go now with the line of I'm redundant or I walk because I feel I've been treated poorly. Or if that's a no go go for voluntary and put myself forward for the director level job which I won't get. Either way it won't cost them due to length of service. Thoughts?
fandango151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 14:36   #2
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Difficult - because as you say you are entitled to nothing.

I’ve always bit my tongue when leaving a job because you never know when you might need a reference or at least a “nice competent guy” informal comment.

Lord knows that was hard on two occaisions but better not to burn bridges

No idea what you do but I came to the realisation that all employers are pretty much bar stewards and so I set up my own company. I refused to employ anyone but my wife and built up a network of like minded self employed consultants.

Had to watch out for IR35 but few only worked for us so never a real issue. But I understand they are cracking down on this a bit harder now.

So my thoughts are - if you have a skill set that is valuable don’t let someone else profit from it. If you can - do it yourself and do it better than them and in so doing keep the profits yourself.

The obvious downside is that any losses you create - you own those as well.

Best of luck whatever you decide.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 20:43   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

apply for the job and fail the interview???

Different to Darcydog, the last thing I did when I retired before walking out of the office was press send. The email went to every level of management in my management line. I put my phone number in the email in case anyone wanted to talk, I got gown 3 floors and my phone rang, it was a forth line manager.
Also in my email I quoted positive comments word for word from my second line manager and a text from a first line manger, I did not want them to think I was bitter and twisted but I got things off my chest.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2018, 22:01   #4
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandango151 View Post
Well I posted a while ago about being none to happy in new job (2nd one in a year), prior to the 3 years and 10 years solid service in other companies.

Well after two months I've been entered into consultation about redundancies. My gut feel is F you as I'm entitled to nothing anyway. My role maps very well over to the new structure but I wish to say make me redundant. Redundancy over resigning as if the need to claim comes and it would excuse this short stint with potential new employers.

Slight flaw is they say if I ask for redundancy and not apply for new positions apparently I've resigned.

Two schools of thought.. Explain and say let me go now with the line of I'm redundant or I walk because I feel I've been treated poorly. Or if that's a no go go for voluntary and put myself forward for the director level job which I won't get. Either way it won't cost them due to length of service. Thoughts?

The option you have not listed is to start looking for another job with the hope that you find one before the current employer concludes its redundancy consultation/execution process. Then your reason for leaving would be a pending redundancy situation.

In my view, if you start to be too clever by applying for jobs significantly above your level of skill/capability/position, this could esily backfire should you need a reference form your current employer. Let's face it, it will be obvious to all concerned that you are playing games and this could legitimately form part of any future reference - no one like a smart a**.

I don't believe any reputable (or sensible) emplyer will give you the line that you are being made redundant if you are not.

My suggestion - play it straight as games often backfire.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2018, 06:29   #5
fandango151
Loves to post

Rover 75

Pushing for another job seems sensible anyway.

I don't want to play games but need to have all my plans in place (comes with the territory I'm a materials planner in food industry - manufacturing).

I''m tempted to be as upfront as possible and say I'm really not happy being put through the stress of this whilst being on the probationary /training phase which is probably the toughest part of a job IMHO. That I feel disadvantaged with my length of service and would appreciate being considered redundant for the above reasons as it has damaged my trust. What is the point in further training etc, I'm being pragmatic and in conscience there are people there whos roles will be made redundant as it won't map over, who have done my job before - (that one is true and not an excuse, rare in todays world I know but that is just me).

Not so much tough decisions - its the way to approach it that I'm finding tricky.
Old 21st October 2018, 08:27   #6
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Pushing for another job seems sensible anyway.

I don't want to play games but need to have all my plans in place (comes with the territory I'm a materials planner in food industry - manufacturing).

I''m tempted to be as upfront as possible and say I'm really not happy being put through the stress of this whilst being on the probationary /training phase which is probably the toughest part of a job IMHO. That I feel disadvantaged with my length of service and would appreciate being considered redundant for the above reasons as it has damaged my trust. What is the point in further training etc, I'm being pragmatic and in conscience there are people there whos roles will be made redundant as it won't map over, who have done my job before - (that one is true and not an excuse, rare in todays world I know but that is just me).

Not so much tough decisions - its the way to approach it that I'm finding tricky.
I see your point. Entirely sensible. What you have done here is a “sounding board” excercise. And I am sure it’s helped as we all need to run through the various scenarios at a time like this.

My thoughts are that you should ask to see someone senior in HR and put to them exactly what you have said above as to how you feel your options are and what would be best for both parties.

I’m not sure - due to my genuine ignorance of the exact “nature” of your firms organisational setup - but I suspect running this by HR will be a better option than your Line Management because if redundancies are on the cards then they will be your competition.

So they may have a vested interest in seeing the back of you.

HR would normally stand apart and take a more objective view.
Old 21st October 2018, 14:42   #7
fandango151
Loves to post

Rover 75

Thanks Darcy. I've had a word with my line manager.. She also to has to reapply. My thoughts are she would rather not have me walk (even if the eventual plan would be that) because that would leave a gap in the team around Xmas. (Xmas is hell in every company I've worked for in similar positions/industry as normal schedules change a lot). Hence, I'd prefer to go sooner rather than later.

Will have to see what the one to one's entail but my 1st choice is to leave regardless, it's what I put down (if anything) as second. On probationary I'm on a week's notice so should a job come up I'm good to go just a pain due to time of year and still working.

Plainly it's concerning I've not even had a full month's wage and then thrown in for redundancy (bit of a joke tbh) luckily I can absorb a little while of no work - it is plainly the status of being made redundant I wish to achieve.

Last edited by fandango151; 21st October 2018 at 14:44..
Old 1st November 2018, 17:54   #8
fandango151
Loves to post

Rover 75

Well it rumbles on.

I've worked myself into a bit of a state. Had a word with boss etc nothing too useful came out of it. The strain of a new job plus this has hit me hard. Anxiety through the roof despite when last posting being relatively calm and must admit that's not helping my learning/settling. What a silly man that I am. OH has been awesome despite my being a const PITA.

Any wisdom? I feel like I'm being silly but giving up a better paid, secure job (granted boring) to be led down this road grrrr
Old 1st November 2018, 18:59   #9
Darcydog
This is my second home

Quote:
Well it rumbles on.

I've worked myself into a bit of a state. Had a word with boss etc nothing too useful came out of it. The strain of a new job plus this has hit me hard. Anxiety through the roof despite when last posting being relatively calm and must admit that's not helping my learning/settling. What a silly man that I am. OH has been awesome despite my being a const PITA.

Any wisdom? I feel like I'm being silly but giving up a better paid, secure job (granted boring) to be led down this road grrrr
OH’s like yours (and mine) are all we need.

Give it time - but keep your options open
Old 1st November 2018, 21:40   #10
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Have you spoken to your trade union?
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote