Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th October 2018, 15:55   #1
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Default out of town housing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45970349

I've some sympathy with them but at the same time don't people check out or think about where they are going to live?

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2018, 16:05   #2
jackatesme
This is my second home

rover 75 saloon.Renault Captur 1.5 diesel.

Thanked 1,242 Times in 702 Posts

I think the idea of moving "out of town",is to get away from the hustle and bustle. A 15min walk to get a pint of milk is health beneficial,as is a nice walk to the bus stop. The way population is rising,when he retires he will be thinking of moving "out of town" again.
3,021 of 4,744 Connie SE
239 of 1.685 Platinum Gold.
"Maralyn": Platinum Blonde,Troublesome,Unpredictable.
jackatesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2018, 17:15   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

from the article
"
Yusuf, a cost consultant, moved with his partner from London to Hamilton in Leicester in order to get on to the property ladder.
After six months living in their new-build, he says getting around would be quite difficult if he did not have a car.

Their nearest bus stop is a 15 to 20-minute walk away and the nearest shop is at least a mile away."

FWIW my place was build about 70-80 years ago. It is still the same for me and I don't see it as a problem. How far is 20 minutes walk, a mile? We walk to the post office if parcels not to big and heavy, about a mile. Tad over if we walk to co-op.

my 8 mile journey to work used to take me about an hour, 20 minute walk, train ride and 20 minute walk. Drive.... 20 minutes. I did not drive to work

walking is good for you

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 31st October 2018 at 13:18..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2018, 19:39   #4
gnu
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

A bit of a non story imo:
'' Because of a lack of public transport in their area, having a car is essential. However, that can bring its own challenges, such as having to set off for work before 08:00 or risk getting caught up in traffic jams. "It can take us up to 20 minutes to drive a mile-and-a-half to work. It's often really hard to turn on to the main road from ours because of the heavy traffic both ways," Hannah says.''

Poor Hannah having to leave as early as 8am for work. Sounds like a lie-in to me! She should try walking or cycling the mile and a half! Or perhaps she's as delicate as Peter:

Peter feels it is a bit too far to walk into town and cycling is not an option, because the amount of traffic means he does not feel very safe on two wheels.

Old 28th October 2018, 19:47   #5
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

These people need to move to town centres if they want to avoid the hustle and bustle.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2018, 20:36   #6
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu View Post
A bit of a non story imo:
'' Because of a lack of public transport in their area, having a car is essential. However, that can bring its own challenges, such as having to set off for work before 08:00 or risk getting caught up in traffic jams. "It can take us up to 20 minutes to drive a mile-and-a-half to work. It's often really hard to turn on to the main road from ours because of the heavy traffic both ways," Hannah says.''

Poor Hannah having to leave as early as 8am for work. Sounds like a lie-in to me! She should try walking or cycling the mile and a half! Or perhaps she's as delicate as Peter:

Peter feels it is a bit too far to walk into town and cycling is not an option, because the amount of traffic means he does not feel very safe on two wheels.

I did think that as well, leaving the house at 8am is hardly an early start and yes 1.5 miles isn't far. Sounds just as fast walking than driving!

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2018, 20:46   #7
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

To my mind they're complaining about stuff that should have been bleedin' obvious before they decided to live there

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 12:01   #8
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

People who want to get on the property ladder and buy a new build can hardly expect to have a town centre infrastructure on their doorstep the day they move in.

But even people who move to a new area often allow their enthusiasm to colour their judgement. If we move now it will be to be nearer a town centre. Older friends moved to an isolated area as their dream retirement home and within three years one of them had to have a hip replacement and they found it difficult to get everyday shopping.

Their experience certainly made us reconsider our plans.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 12:44   #9
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

We moved to a little haven called Radcliffe on Trent, we used to live in Surrey in a town Called Egham, for over fifty three years, well what a rat race, there was four railway crossings and we could wait as much as fifteen minutes to get through, then there was another bottle neck Staines Bridge, with three roads leading onto it.
My son said move up to Nottingham, my wife does not drive, the village is fifteen minutes walk away, a bus runs into Nottingham every ten minutes, we have both got bus passes, can use them on the trams that run through Nottingham, if you want a total different pace of life move up here you won’t regret it, and houses are cheap as well.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 13:23   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post

We moved to a little haven called Radcliffe on Trent, we used to live in Surrey in a town Called Egham, for over fifty three years, well what a rat race, there was four railway crossings and we could wait as much as fifteen minutes to get through, then there was another bottle neck Staines Bridge, with three roads leading onto it.
My son said move up to Nottingham, my wife does not drive, the village is fifteen minutes walk away, a bus runs into Nottingham every ten minutes, we have both got bus passes, can use them on the trams that run through Nottingham, if you want a total different pace of life move up here you won’t regret it, and houses are cheap as well.

Rev
I used to go to Egham for work. For a while I thought it had the last petrol station with an attendant.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote