Notices

Old 31st October 2018, 13:35   #11
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I used to go to Egham for work. For a while I thought it had the last petrol station with an attendant.

macafee2
I think we had that guy. Two pumps only in Teignmouth Devon.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 14:21   #12
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Its like people who buy a house next to the railway then complain because they've got trains running past the bottom of their garden. Mind you, remember a phone call I had one day from an irate guy. He'd just moved into a house right next to the Suburban line in Edinburgh . . . . seems the seller told him the line was shut! It was (and still is) the main route for freight passing through Edinburgh and a diversionary route for passenger services.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 15:18   #13
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Great research by the BBC - There's an Arriva bus through Hamilton to Leicester City centre every 12 minutes! (Took me all of 5 minutes to find out) If it's a 15 minute walk to his nearest bus stop I can only assume he's in shackles! Oh yes - there's also a Tesco right on the bus route....
... In Hamilton!

There's also a Sainsbury's and a Supa sava and several takeaways. It's also less than 15 minutes by bus from the City Centre so hardly out of Town.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button

Last edited by Avulon; 31st October 2018 at 15:50..
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 16:18   #14
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Great research by the BBC - There's an Arriva bus through Hamilton to Leicester City centre every 12 minutes! (Took me all of 5 minutes to find out) If it's a 15 minute walk to his nearest bus stop I can only assume he's in shackles! Oh yes - there's also a Tesco right on the bus route....
... In Hamilton!

There's also a Sainsbury's and a Supa sava and several takeaways. It's also less than 15 minutes by bus from the City Centre so hardly out of Town.
Typical BBC - and indeed the media in general.

Bit of a Tangent- but on the radio this afternoon they were talking about the report on the Today programme about people on Ace Inhibitors being 30% more likely to contract Cancer!

Now if true - this extremely worrying!!

But today this report was blasted by a medic because the reality was (and I’m quoting from memory so the figures may not be exactly right) that the study showed that 9.4% of patients on Ace inhibitors developed cancer whereas only 9.12% of patients on another drug class developed cancer.

So whilst that is a 30% difference - it is meaningless because the 0.279% difference is insignificant as it is within the error bars of the study.

So why on earth did the BBC decide to run such a biased and skewed interpretation of a study?

Could it possibly be that the BBC is Biased and Skews the “news”?
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 17:29   #15
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

This is a typical Towny problem or more precisely non problem.

About 3 doors up from me we had a couple move in from London as they wanted to live in the country, the day after they moved in they were asking where the nearest bus stop is and are there any shops closer than the ones in the village?

When I explained there was a bus stop about a 10 minute walk away and those were the nearest shops they seemed shocked. They explained they only had one car and prefer not to use it but might have too if the bus was that far away .

Do these people not research anything before they spend all that money on a house or do they expect the country to be the same as ''town'' but with more trees and grass? Wait until they find the last bus is 8.45pm and the village shops shut at 6.30pm.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 17:46   #16
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Before we decided to move to Nottinghamshire, we spent three months searching for somewhere to live,
We went to Wisbech, Boston, Melton Moubrey, East Bridgeford, West Bridgeford,
Bingham, Gunthorpe, landed up at Radcliffe On Trent.

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 17:50   #17
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post

About 3 doors up from me we had a couple move in from London as they wanted to live in the country, the day after they moved in they were asking where the nearest bus stop is and are there any shops closer than the ones in the village?

When I explained there was a bus stop about a 10 minute walk away and those were the nearest shops they seemed shocked. They explained they only had one car and prefer not to use it but might have too if the bus was that far away .

Do these people not research anything before they spend all that money on a house or do they expect the country to be the same as ''town'' but with more trees and grass? Wait until they find the last bus is 8.45pm and the village shops shut at 6.30pm.
You have buses?......wait....you have a shop?
Not sure I could live anywhere that busy
Old 31st October 2018, 18:09   #18
v-man
I really should get out more.......

Ford Fezza Poverty Spec & ?

Quote:

Buses from town centre to nearest bus stop to me cease running not long after 6pm.

Report potholes, flytipping, broken streetlights - www.fixmystreet.com

Find cheaper diesel/petrol - www.petrolprices.com
2001 Rover 45 1.8 Impression S owned for 15 years, now scrapped.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 18:48   #19
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Our place isn't too bad, small number of shops, pub, bus stop 10 minutes away I don't think that's too bad.

I used to live in the middle of nowhere up until 10 years ago, no shop, pub, bus stop etc even the next village had only a takeaway. Oh and there was no way to walk anywhere. no footpath, no street lights, hedges tight to the road. A car was pretty much compulsory.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2018, 18:50   #20
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Quote:

There's no excuse these days with air bnb you can rent places out very near to were you want to live very easily. A very small investment in comparison to moving to another part of the country.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote