Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd February 2019, 15:12   #1
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts
Default Apple v Android

Wife switched from iphone to Android, and ported the number to her new phone. new phone was quiet and her iphone contacts reported messages were not delivered (bouncing back) It seems Apple will remember your number and assume it's an iphone so send imessages. These of course won't be delivered. She removed her phone from her Apple account, de-activated her phone on imessages and even de-activated her Apple account.
The problem wasn't with her phone, it was because of her number. I for one think this is a little underhand of Apple. To solve it she's having to change her number. The messages bouncing back were because of a 'trail' 'string' 'thread' if you like from previous comms.
This happen to anyone else?
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2019, 17:04   #2
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

You should only get iMessages if a conversation was started as an iMessage. Putting her sim into an android phone and trying to continue a conversation may be a problem I suppose. The contact details should be the same so starting a text from scratch should solve the issue and not require a new sim. I may be missing something though...

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2019, 18:46   #3
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Yes, starting a new text and deleting the 'link' that is previous texts will more than likely work. Problem is, with so many friends on iphone they'd all have to be contacted and given the explanation along with the fix. Wife works out of the office so she needs contact from them as a priority. Changing the number to be certain.
Old 3rd February 2019, 19:26   #4
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

My other half swears by her iphone but I wouldn't have one. No desire to be tied to Apple.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2019, 19:58   #5
75c
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

I regularly swap my sim between an iphone and a android phone.

iMessages are an apple feature but have nothing to do with the sim card.

Whatever is going on with your wifes text messages its not apple interfering with them.
75c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2019, 21:19   #6
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
My other half swears by her iphone but I wouldn't have one. No desire to be tied to Apple.
I’ve had an iPhone for years and they were at the cutting edge of smart phone technology. I was bought an apple watch as a present and it’s infuriating that an extremely expensive stainless steel watch was out of date after 12 months. I love the look of the Samsung smart watch and thinking of jumping to Android because of this and the fact that Apple wanting their customers to update every year.......

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2019, 16:08   #7
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

I’m not loyal to any brands as such. I do have an iPhone and iPad but for me it just works fine, especially the cloud. I had a Samsung previously which was a cracking phone but I had a horrible experience with their cloud and lost a lot of pictures etc due to no fault of my own. With Apple my experience has been fine. My iPhone is now 4 years old and I have no plans to upgrade it as it does everything that I want it to do. My iPad is 3 years old and that’s the same.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2019, 20:37   #8
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Well, changed the number and all is fine. Our 'Apple' friends can text and call and their phones know they're contacting an Android phone. I just feel it's a tad sneaky of Apple to build into their phones a system by which they assume everyone has an iphone.
Old 6th February 2019, 04:25   #9
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
Well, changed the number and all is fine. Our 'Apple' friends can text and call and their phones know they're contacting an Android phone. I just feel it's a tad sneaky of Apple to build into their phones a system by which they assume everyone has an iphone.
Surely that’s the whole point of having your own system though. It’s named iMessage for a reason and when you send an iMessage to an android phone it will be sent as text. iMessages are blue and any messages sent to android are green.
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 07:13   #10
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

As soon as you type a number into an iPhone when texting for example, it knows whether or not it's an iPhone that's going to receive the message. If the sim was moved to an android you would have to start a new conversation, you likely wouldn't be able to continue the same one unless you set the phone to only send txt messages which you can change in the settings.

VIS motor tester avalible to local members

Injector removal tool and auto gearbox pressure tester now available
rrobson is online now   Reply With Quote