Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd February 2019, 15:59   #1
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Default Just to start up the old Lidl

Is rubbish / no its not, theme once again.

Are the battery tester things that they are selling at the moment any good and also does anyone have an opinion on the engine oil emptier pump that they are also selling at present?

Cheers

I await the potential commencement of a 10 page Lidl v Top brands equipment battle
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 16:08   #2
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Why do you need a battery tester? If you know how long it's been on the car you have a pretty good idea when it's at the end. Halfords check them for free. The oil sucker I haven't seen, won't ever use one but would like to see how it compares to the Peela is it?
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 16:13   #3
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Oil pump drainer is fairly good I use it in the yard and it’s worked well for the last year or so.
Aldi was selling glove box booster packs that couldn’t start a 1.4 fiesta that had only just started to drain down a little. So I dashed it and got out my Mac tools booster and started the car.
My Philosophy is simple if you can afford to buy good quality tools they last, buy cheap and they either don’t work won’t work for very long however as I said before the oil pump is pretty good and works faster than my pella pump
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 16:27   #4
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
Why do you need a battery tester? If you know how long it's been on the car you have a pretty good idea when it's at the end. Halfords check them for free. The oil sucker I haven't seen, won't ever use one but would like to see how it compares to the Peela is it?
Its just another knick knack to possibly add to the shedful I already have from the centre aisle.

Its fair to say that my just before christmas brand new Yuasa battery going flat ( after an extended spell of me just using the car to pop down the shops and short other trips) leaving me stranded one morning was a bit of a disappointment and if an inexpensive £3 item alerts me to such a situation before it develops in the future then whats the problem?

It also supposedly checks the alternator output in use.

Last edited by bendrick; 22nd February 2019 at 16:30..
Old 22nd February 2019, 17:00   #5
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

[QUOTE=bendrick;2713780]Its just another knick knack to possibly add to the shedful I already have from the centre aisle.

Its fair to say that my just before christmas brand new Yuasa battery going flat ( after an extended spell of me just using the car to pop down the shops and short other trips) leaving me stranded one morning was a bit of a disappointment and if an inexpensive £3 item alerts me to such a situation before it develops in the future then whats the problem?

It also supposedly checks the alternator output in use.[/QUOTE

It totally depends on what is meant by TESTER.-

If a battery lights a bulb, that's a test.--

Your battery went flat because YOU mistreated it.--

( Go and have a look in the thread on the main page. )

The 'really, really useful info' thread. Read both posts about batteries you'll find there.

Then go and be kind to yours.--- ------ Off you go.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 17:47   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

when it comes to a pump it is each to their own. I've not got one as I think it would be hard work to clean it out after use and I'm not bothered about doing it the old fashioned way.

As for a battery tester. Never needed one to identify a dud battery. Only once was I unsure but it was indeed a dud battery

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 18:28   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Is rubbish / no its not, theme once again.

Are the battery tester things that they are selling at the moment any good ............

I await the potential commencement of a 10 page Lidl v Top brands equipment battle

They are absolutely brilliant. I have one for each car and a few spares.

I have done an internal inspection and they are close copies of a Fluke 87.

Here's the proof.

dx

= 42 n=all intents & purposes
= cheap
= f'ing brilliant

Last edited by MSS; 22nd February 2019 at 18:45..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2019, 19:17   #8
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

[QUOTE=COLVERT;2713795]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
Its just another knick knack to possibly add to the shedful I already have from the centre aisle.

It also supposedly checks the alternator output in use.[/QUOTE

It totally depends on what is meant by TESTER.-

If a battery lights a bulb, that's a test.--

Your battery went flat because YOU mistreated it.--

( Go and have a look in the thread on the main page. )

The 'really, really useful info' thread. Read both posts about batteries you'll find there.

Then go and be kind to yours.--- ------ Off you go.

Well I didn't mistreat it at all, in 40 years of motoring I've never had a problem with a newish battery going flat. However as my mileage has unusually diminished significantly over the last 3 or 4 months I found myself in a situation not encountered before, to be honest I was congratulating myself on saving a small fortune in diesel just before the battery went flat the other week.

Which is why I am fully chargered and jump start packed up now to avoid a similar situation.

Its quite a simple question that I've posed you know ...as in :-

What is anyones opinion of the items mentioned in the original post?

Not a question asking about anyones opinion about my battery, car usage, haircut, fashion sense or anything else, not about whether they'd use or buy them but does anyone who may or may not have purchased them have an opinion about them.

Last edited by bendrick; 22nd February 2019 at 19:20..
Old 22nd February 2019, 19:26   #9
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
Oil pump drainer is fairly good I use it in the yard and it’s worked well for the last year or so.
Aldi was selling glove box booster packs that couldn’t start a 1.4 fiesta that had only just started to drain down a little. So I dashed it and got out my Mac tools booster and started the car.
My Philosophy is simple if you can afford to buy good quality tools they last, buy cheap and they either don’t work won’t work for very long however as I said before the oil pump is pretty good and works faster than my pella pump
Mick
Might give it a go then for £13. I'm never going to get under the car to take the drain plug out so a feasible oil pump would mean more regular oil and filter changes that I can do myself which I would have thought could only be a good thing.

I had been considering buying one of those vacuum ones but they seem to be quite expensive for what they are with varied reviews so I was going to save up for one but if this does the job as you say then I'll give it a go and see how it goes.

Cheers
Old 22nd February 2019, 19:41   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I assume you mean this one.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLi...rticleId=20255

It's a simple voltage tester based on a comparator IC and uses battery voltage as an indication of the state of a battery's charge. I have one and it is reasonably accurate for the intended purpose. For £3, you cannot really go wrong with it.

Of course, CTEK do a much more elegant device for not much more money. I have these on a number of our cars brought out just under the grill. These serve the same purpose but there's no need to lift the bonnet. They also allow you to easily connect a CTEK charger. The quality is excellent - naturally.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-Indica...Z6H73MZ4GWGPX8

One for the man who prefers a touch of elegance and sophistication!

Last edited by MSS; 22nd February 2019 at 19:43..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote