Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th July 2011, 22:45   #1
markw22
Banned

MG ZT 135 CDTI

Default !!!!!!! Bad fuel (diesel)

Just been out with my friend in his mams 75 cdti and filled it withe diesel at the swallwel jet garage £45 worth started the car pulled forward and then the car had a spluter so me first instinct was he had put petrol in so he nocked the car off and when and check with the desk clark and he had filled up with diesel so he started the car the as he did the engine reved araticaly to the point the rev counter was in the red. i no that diesels only rev like that when there is water in the fuel. so nocked the car off straight away and called the aa. aa turned up and checked the fuel throw the lines and found it is full of water bad thing is the engine now has a very loud nocking nosie aa said it could be a failed in jector or a bent valve with the amount of water entering the cylinder and hydrolicing. AA have reported water in the fuel take to be the fuel stations proplem so waiting for fuel station to test the tankes
markw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 22:49   #2
navrac
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer Conn SE CDTI facelift

Running a petrol station is a bit like running a pub - you have to look after the tanks/pipes.

Good luck with getting the petrol station to accept liability- they rarely do.
navrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 22:50   #3
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw22 View Post
Just been out with my friend in his mams 75 cdti and filled it withe diesel at the swallwel jet garage £45 worth started the car pulled forward and then the car had a spluter so me first instinct was he had put petrol in so he nocked the car off and when and check with the desk clark and he had filled up with diesel so he started the car the as he did the engine reved araticaly to the point the rev counter was in the red. i no that diesels only rev like that when there is water in the fuel. so nocked the car off straight away and called the aa. aa turned up and checked the fuel throw the lines and found it is full of water bad thing is the engine now has a very loud nocking nosie aa said it could be a failed in jector or a bent valve with the amount of water entering the cylinder and hydrolicing. AA have reported water in the fuel take to be the fuel stations proplem so waiting for fuel station to test the tankes

eek. My dad once filled up a van at a local garage with "diesel"... Only got about 50yrds before it cut out...... What he had put in in actual fact was pure water.... Something to do with they were cleaning out the tanks....
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 23:05   #4
markw22
Banned

MG ZT 135 CDTI

some bad news the engine has died aa have just pulled diesel the the injectors anf fiered the engine engine ran for about 5 sec reved right passed the red in the counter realy loud banging and then 1 big band and a load of blue smoke out the back and from the engine bay. fitter box is full of oil there is no oil in the sump and the engine dosnt even turn over now
Old 8th July 2011, 23:07   #5
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Quote:
some bad news the engine has died aa have just pulled diesel the the injectors anf fiered the engine engine ran for about 5 sec reved right passed the red in the counter realy loud banging and then 1 big band and a load of blue smoke out the back and from the engine bay. fitter box is full of oil there is no oil in the sump and the engine dosnt even turn over now

Errrrrr, I presume that you have been back to the garage.? You should have gone back immediately and asked hem for a tester from the diesel pump that was used....
Old 8th July 2011, 23:14   #6
markw22
Banned

MG ZT 135 CDTI

yes we have there not pumping diesel any more till there fuel tanks are tested the car didnt even get out the exit of the fuel station and died there to
Old 8th July 2011, 23:18   #7
Poppy
Banned

75 club 1.8 petrol.

Quote:
yes we have there not pumping diesel any more till there fuel tanks are tested the car didnt even get out the exit of the fuel station and died there to

Hiya. Okay, right.... Did you get some sort sig to acknowledge that there was indeed a problem with the pump? Or indeed speak to the manager? Only thinking of protecting your interests here you understand...
Old 9th July 2011, 00:14   #8
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Assuming a % of water content was in the mix it still should not have done much damage? Any water injected would have been turned to steam on combustion and ejected out of the exhaust ports, I can't see enough water staying in to cause hydraulic lockup?

The engine would only run if a high % of fuel was getting through..

Too high a water content and the engine would just stop?
Innit??
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 08:42   #9
Jake
Banned

2004 75 Contemporary SE Tourer, 2005 (55) Pearl Black Conn. SE Tourer.

If it's used all it's oil then it sounds like it has ran wild which diesels can do.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 10:14   #10
craig8661
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 tourer cdt

sounds to me not like a fuel problem as if there was water going in before it would hit them revs would destry the piston rings.

to me it sounds like when it was restarted for some unbe known reason it has pushed the oil up throu the breather and then ran on its own oil until the engine ither reved itself to death or ran out of oil causing major internal damige
mods so far synergy 2
heated washer jets
cant really add anything else as it has it all lol
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote