Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

View Poll Results: How is your 75/ZT used?
Daily Driven 274 72.30%
Weekends only 55 14.51%
Currently off the road 15 3.96%
No longer own a 75/ZT 35 9.23%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th October 2017, 18:51   #81
Mr Bone
Gets stuck in

75 Cdt. VW Touareg V6 Tdi. Galaxy 1.9Tdi (x2). R1200GS

The Blue Car is in daily use.
It's currently running from Bolton to Truro and back every week, 700 miles plus weekly running around. I bought it for running to Peterhead and back each week, which it did for 3 yrs, so it's current journey is 100 miles/week shorter.
I suppose I should retire it to light duties, but it's so good at distances.
Oddly, it's never been spotted in was it you.
Old 13th October 2017, 19:13   #82
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

I've had a string of Rovers over the years but none have bitten me quite as much as my 75. Paid a pittance for it off the side of the road and it was looking a little tired although mechanically pretty sound and with a little elbow grease and a few new bits and help from some of the great members on here she's become my daily drive and i have no intentions on replacing her. I don't mind spending a bit of money to keep her on the road as owning a newer car would likely lose me as much in depreciation and i can't think of any car i've been in recently that just has the soul these old cars have. I need my car on a daily basis for work and i have more confidence in the reliability even at 160k than i have had in newer previously owned cars so it's a bit of a no brainer for me to keep her going

Glutton for punishment --- Previously ... 2.6 SD1 x 2, 3.5 SD1, 820S, 820Si x2, 216 Gsi, 220T saloon, 414, 45 1.4 x2 and now a Cowley 75 CDT
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 19:54   #83
Kerthan23
Avid contributor

Rover 75 connie diesel, 1982 xr3 & 1974 gt Capri

Smile Not jumping ship!

Had my rover diesel 75 tourer for almost 3 years now, only due to up grading caravan size so zs diesel is on permanent loan to brother in law, its a weekend/social use only due to having company van for my job, always had some sort of rover/mg as I blame my dad as he's always had rovers, maestro, montego,200,25,45 and bought mg zt-t then 75 tourer new in 2002 & 2004 and lately bought a mg6 but THAT CARS another story as it's now returned to dealer! Always had and will have the soft spot for mg/rover as when left school I worked and was time served on rover and was a mechanic on a few other makes till 14 years ago, done all my own repairs(apart from the nice t4 help from Brian) and like our cars to be 100%, I have no intentions of getting rid as kept my last 1990 rover 214 for 13 years so it's here to stay as have no interest in new cars as I don't think there's any good new cars out there that are reliable ( all tho the other halfs honda jazz is proving me wrong)and really don't have the excellent help/back up we have on this forum, cars are a hobby now and like most on here we all have the to do list. Done the rear & front suspension rebuild, clutch and list goes on also a quick refurb of my 1974 gt Capri that's grew arm and legs due to OCD so time goes on rover or Capri oh and motor bike but when one or all finished I think a mg zt K series turbo is defo on the cars as always loved these engines. it's sad that you can buy low mileage mg's & rover for very cheap and hope things will pickup but like any car I feel the cost of repairs of any make are the cause (clutches etc).
Old 13th October 2017, 20:54   #84
DEVYL
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Auto Connoiseur SE

@TomRS - I`ve spent the cost of buying a ZT 260 in my 75 in the last year, rebuilding it from grounds up. I`m daily driving my 2.5 V6 auto in heavy traffic conditions and high speed motorway. Before me, it was driven in the same way. This week I have done 900 km so far, will be 1000 by sunday. She has around 280.000 km of pedal to the medal driving , 7 out of 10 gear changes are over 5k rpm. I have no issues with the engine or gearbox, 10 points for that; I hope to use the car for the following years at least. Also my Rover 45 sits around here, top spec in pristine condition, that is my jewel. 13 yrs old is not that old for a executive car yet

Last edited by DEVYL; 13th October 2017 at 20:59..
DEVYL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 21:55   #85
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Got two, one (cdt) is mine which I got when I was doing over 250mls a week with commuting and incidental use. The the tourer is a slightly rarer beast being a 1.8turbo 75 tourer (there's not than many of them) is nominally the missus car and useful for loading up camping/tip runs and taking the dog out. We don't actually need both cars now as new house and job mean I'm only two miles from work and it's no slower cycling. Still I am fond of the diesel at 190k mls I daresay its not worth a lot either. In the 90k I've had it, it's had loads of work on top of it's purchase price; barring tyres and servicing and other consumables it's also had - recondition injectors, reconditioned HP fuel pump, two new electric pumps (itp &n ubp), Brake disks all round, full clutch and flywheel and clutch master cylinder, rear n/s sill welded, 2 gold fan resistors. It's had added - rear sunblind, meteor wheels, projector lights, h/lamp washers and a new double din waiting to go in. It's still cost me (a lot) less to run (including fuel and servicing) than buying a crappy new supermini type car in the 10-15k price bracket and running for the same time and mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
I hear so many say "it owes me this and that" I could never come to terms with how this comes about.
You buy a car for £1000, keep it for two years and spend another £1000 on servicing and parts, I'm sorry but its not worth £2000, it just doesn't work that way.
A £1000 a year to run a nice sized saloon like a 75/ZT is pretty cheap. Cars never pay you back, they're just holes in the road that you throw money into. All we do is try and make the hole as small as possible while enjoying the best that we are prepared to pay for.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 22:07   #86
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
Rust issues, expensive to tax and insure, poor MPG and repair bills that would make your eyes water compared with a 75. Jaguar is very current and making great cars but even Jags are achieving banger status. A neighbour has just bought a 55 plate BMW X5 for just £500. The previous owner was glad to see the back of it as it crippled him financially. Sad but true so we will all be looking to keep our cars going on a limited budget.
I understand and agree. In 2014, I spent 4000 GBP on the car in mechanics bills, parts and major works. I thought do I spend this money on doing the repairs or do I call it a day and use the money to buy a used Ford Fiesta? Since then, the car has not given any major headaches and all the work is carried out by the forum gurus. Not only do they know what they are doing, they also don't rip us off.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 13th October 2017 at 22:13..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 22:49   #87
david75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Conn SE, 04; Rover 75 1.8 conn, 02

My Rover 75 story

After having had company cars for several years, in 2004 I bought a BMW320d brand new and ran it for 10 years, 145,000 miles. After a couple of major engine problems it had to go and I needed a car quickly, but no longer able to afford brand new or nearly new.

This was mid-2012 and I happened to see a gold 75 1.8t ClubSE 03 plate in a dealer's 70k miles, reasonable price so bought it on impulse. Hooked.

Kept for 4 years, did 45,000 luxurious miles and did not begrudge average £1500 per year in repairs during that time, which included a head gasket, new turbo, various suspension bits, belt, radiator, exhaust, 4 tyres etc. What else would that money have bought? A second-hand Focus?

Eventually sold to a member on here in Jan 2016

While still running the 1.8t, in 2014 I saw a cheap 2.5 Connoisseur 51 plate (also gold) only 55k miles. Needed quite a lot doing including some bodywork, but bought it as a hobby/doer-upper, plus various upgrades. All now in excellent shape, used on special occasions and holidays, only 12k miles in 3 years. A bit of expense in year 1, biggest items being belts (of course), some bodywork, suspension bits, a radiator and tyres, but total maintenance in years 2, 3 & 4 has been less than £800. And was July 2016 on the club calendar.

Nov 2015 bought a 1.8 na Connoisseur 02 plate, only 45k miles. Wedgewood.
Daily driver for 2 years, 20,000 miles, maintenance costs £1250 of which biggest item head gasket. So apart from the 1.8 na being a bit gutless, still very low cost luxury motoring.

As you can tell, I now like 75s a lot

Last edited by david75; 14th October 2017 at 07:43..
david75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 23:03   #88
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
I was an R8 tourer fan and owned about 5. We needed a tourer as we needed the space but 75’s were too expensive. Once MGR closed prices dropped and we bought an 1800 turbo which was a brilliant car but low spec, this was changed for an 04 1800 nasp. Once it hit about 70K we decided to look for as late a car as possible and ended up with Marmite which needs no introduction. This was our family daily driver and used for everything from taking my daughter around the country to play wheelchair basketball to the Sunday tip run. It stayed as the family daily driver until 2 years ago when we got a MINI Paceman for my daughter to learn to drive in and it became the daily driver saving the miles on the tourer. The tourer was rotated with my R8 coupe as my daily driver but is currently parked up awaiting rear arms. Even though it was one of the last cars to come out of Longbridge it’s definitly starting to show it’s age. It’s unlikely that we would ever sell it but realistically it’s too old for the family daily driver.

And spoken from a man who is more than qualified to carry out any repair on an R40 model

Interestingly enough, I've a second pair of upper rear arms to fit to SWMBO's car in the next week or so, I do relish the thought of lying on my back under there with bits of rust dropping into my face while I struggle with thirteen year old rusted nuts and bolts

The XW models rarely had these problems as the plain shank bolts as found in R40 were in fact fluted on the XW.

I've not once struggled to undo nuts and bolts on my 21 year old tourer, that and the fact the trim doesn't fall to bits like your average 75 or ZT

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 01:56   #89
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Ive owned about 8 rover 75s, four or which were restoration jobs to get them re licenced back on the road which I sold on.
The other 4 are the cars I currently have, 1 x 2005 diesel Connie , 1 x Zt 180 and 2 x rover 75 Connies.
Love them all and drive them all at various times but particularly love the 135bhp diesel which is a pretty rare car over here in Australia as 99 percent of 75s shipped here are 2.5 v6 motors.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 04:54   #90
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Well my tourer has passed 250k now, and I want to keep it special, so I changed to a freelander as a daily so it can get scrapped and dinged and not care too much.

And the zt-t was always a casual car for me, enjoying it as and when weather allows, but im always scared of it getting hit with colour being rare so know it will be expensive to sort!

So yeah, cost, maintenance and potential damage really.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote