Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th August 2019, 12:59   #21
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by david75 View Post
It will be interesting to know how you get on with this as I might need to do this at some point.
How did you remove the Y pieces?
What do you mean by “graft a new lug”?
Pics?

Thank you.
I just had a root round in the workshop but the pieces seem to have gone into hiding. So, I have done a very quick line drawing below.

Each end of the plastic piece has a locating lug on the underside. Nothing special really, just a round bit. The lugs are a press fit into the corresponding recessed hole in the wheel. Removing is a case of using a thin bladed screwdriver and gently tweaking each end at a time. Go to far and you risk snapping the entire piece.

However, they might be kept in place with a dab of silicon, which increases the risk of the locating lug staying in the wheel. I had this happen a few times and the snapped piece needs to be drilled out.

To repair, I will be using some round plastic dowel of the correct diameter and glue new ones in place (I might drill and fix inside them a short piece of steel wire to help secure them better) before putting them wishbone bakc on the wheel. Getting the wheels refurbed is the first step though, to see what the diameter of the locating holes will be after probably having slightly thicker paint and clearcoat put on.

I'm also looking at getting the plastic bits re-plated or use a chrome film.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2019, 21:12   #22
david75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Conn SE, 04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I just had a root round in the workshop but the pieces seem to have gone into hiding. So, I have done a very quick line drawing below.

Each end of the plastic piece has a locating lug on the underside. Nothing special really, just a round bit. The lugs are a press fit into the corresponding recessed hole in the wheel. Removing is a case of using a thin bladed screwdriver and gently tweaking each end at a time. Go to far and you risk snapping the entire piece.

However, they might be kept in place with a dab of silicon, which increases the risk of the locating lug staying in the wheel. I had this happen a few times and the snapped piece needs to be drilled out.

To repair, I will be using some round plastic dowel of the correct diameter and glue new ones in place (I might drill and fix inside them a short piece of steel wire to help secure them better) before putting them wishbone bakc on the wheel. Getting the wheels refurbed is the first step though, to see what the diameter of the locating holes will be after probably having slightly thicker paint and clearcoat put on.

I'm also looking at getting the plastic bits re-plated or use a chrome film.
That’s really helpful. Thank you