Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd March 2021, 07:45   #541
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool Wow! How time flies.............

............................. it’s two years ago today that I bought my new home. A lot has happened in that two years, how the whole world has undergone a new change. Who would have thought that we would be living in a lockdown.

The only news I have is Roger is no longer in New York, seems he has done a runner but to where I have no idea. I’ve tried phoning his mobile but the call just goes dead. Taken all his clothes with him so wherever he is going it’s one way.

Keep safe.

233,320. New rear tyres on order for BBB.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2021, 11:03   #542
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Well, not the news I was expecting.............

.......................... from London. My niece phoned to tell me that her dad, my brother in law, is in hospital. He fell down the stairs in the house and has badly broken his ankle. Been in hospital, Barnet General, since last Monday and will not be home till this Wednesday. The reason they won’t let home any earlier is the house needs to be cleaned and tidied up before he can come home.

Because of the state of the house Laura has had to get professional cleaners in. My brother in law is a hoarder, he does not throw anything out. All the flyers, leaflets that come through the letterbox he keeps. It has taken the cleaners along with Laura and her boyfriend Ollie 2 days to get the front room, kitchen and downstairs loo cleaned. It has cost Laura £1,000 just to hire the cleaners. But then Michael can afford it.

Laura has also had to hire carers to come in 3 times a day to help Michael once he is home. She was very distraught over the phone not because of the accident but of the stress this is causing her.
Ollie has brought the spare bed downstairs and is in the front room. There is a washbasin in the downstairs loo so he has no need to go upstairs for anything.

I felt quite sorry for Laura. I know her dad can be stubborn old so n so, takes after his father for being stubborn. But his father was never a hoarder and he kept the 4 bedroomed house clean right into his 90’s. He only stopped after he had heart failure then his daughter, Val, took on the job.

The other news from London is that Richard’s ex-wife has passed away following the stroke and then contracting COVID-19. As for Elizabeth she is still breathing on her own, she has not been told the news of her mother’s passing.
No news about Roger, no idea where he is. I have tried his mobile number but the line goes dead after a couple of rings.

Other than that life goes on down here. I’m still going out on my walks, but am thinking on getting an E-bike so I can go that bit further. I’ll not be going on any of the major roads but sticking to the local roads or venturing into the dark side occasionally.
As the weather has been gorgeous for the last week I have been gardening. Put some new plants in, repainted all the trellises and the gate. Decking is still to be done. Hoping to get a sprayer to do that job.

Cars are behaving themselves. Banana’s 17th birthday today.

Hopefully we can meet up at some point in the near future. Till then keep safe.

Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll
Old 5th April 2021, 18:43   #543
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

I can recommend an e-bike Bob. Some friends asked me to go cycling in Spain about eighteen months ago ( remember those halcyon days we could travel lol )The route was around 25 miles so I politely declined knowing they were fairly keen (and fitter than me!). Then they presented me with my bike, which was, unlike theirs, an e-bike. I started off with no power assist and finished on level 3 assist (max on this model), but I did keep up. I see one in my future too! My only concern is where I have to use public roads. So many numpties going too fast on country roads. Routes will have to be planned carefully.

Last edited by edwardmk; 5th April 2021 at 18:48.. Reason: added omitted words
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2021, 12:45   #544
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool It pays to complain

Bounced out of bed one morning a few weeks ago and into the shower. On went the power and under the hot stream I went, nothing wakes you up more than when the hot water suddenly runs cold, Gosh!!! Or words to that effect, Checked the shower but no hot water.

Once I was dried and dressed I phoned a local company, same company that used to do the repairs in the rented house. They said they would send a engineer down the next day. As it happens the engineer turned up at the same time as Allen. He had popped down to repair my access door to the garage, the lock had jammed. He used a disc cutter to cut the lock off.
The shower engineer examined the shower and said, in front of Allen and I, that the thermostat needed replacing and he would have to order the part. And with that he retreated to his van.

Allen stayed long enough to have a cuppa then he was away to the boatyard to work on his project. I looked out and the shower engineers van had gone. I just assumed that he had gone to collect the part. I carried on doing some housework. By 3pm no one had returned or phoned to let me know what was happening. So I phoned the office, and the nice young lady on the other end told me that the part was on order and that the engineer would be back tomorrow to fix the shower.

So imagine my surprise when the next morning another engineer turned up to install a totally new shower. when I explained I was waiting to have a new thermostat fitted not a new shower. He then showed me his work sheet which clearly stated that he was here to install the new shower. He said that it was not economical to replace the thermostat as that might not be the only fault with the unit. A lot easier just to install a new unit.

So I let him get on with it, be a doddle to fit he said. Famous last words springs to mind. Took him nearly 3 hours to install. But he showed me how it worked, much better than the old unit. Then he cleaned up and was gone. I was wondering about the bill as no price had been quoted. Anyway I did not have long to wait for that answer as the bill arrived next day via email.
In the email it stated that the old unit had been uneconomical to repair and a new unit was needed.

So I replied that this was not what the engineer had said to me at the time, plus I had a witness to what was said as my friend Allen heard what the engineer had said. I also complained that there was a total lack of communication between the office, engineer and me. I was told the part was on order, I had no idea that a new unit was to be installed.
The reply came back and the revised bill which was now £50 less. But no apology or explanation. I shall not be using them again in a hurry.

Michael was finally released from hospital after being in there for nearly 4 weeks. He had to wait till there was someone available to show him how to use the crutches. The pandemic had took it's toll on the staff. But he is home now. He has given his car to his future son-in-law to use whilst Michael is laid up. I'm going to try and get Michael to come and stay with me a bit later in the year.

The news from London is that Elizabeth is still in hospital but is making a slow recovery. She is now aware that her mother has passed away. Only 6 people attended the funeral.
As for Roger, he is back in Jamaica. And fighting to remain there as the authorities are trying to send him and family back to Brazil. I got a text from him last weekend explaining everything. All a bit complicated for me to understand. He still wants to return to London with family and settle down here.

Banana has cost me £264 but it could have been a lot worse, like another engine. There is another thread which explains all what has happened. But I did get to drive the ex-Keith24 "Bumbles" as my courtesy car now owned by Matt Darke. Only the second time I have driven a V6, and a automatic as well.
Bear has her MOT coming up but needs a few jobs to sort through so hoping to get up to Matt's for him to get the jobs done.

I was a tad unwell about a month ago and almost called for an ambulance as I was in so much pain. It is an ongoing saga, and I have had the pain before but not this bad. I managed to take a couple of painkillers to ease the pain. So I phoned the doctors to see if I could get appointment once I got past the receptionist. The doctor phoned me back to ask about the pain. Once I had explained to her the symptoms she arranged for me to come in for an investigation.

Meanwhile I had my second Covid-19 jab, again it was the Pfizer. No side effects.
Then into the doctors for my appointment. Never seen this doctor before but she gave me a thorough examination. Had a blood test, then I had to do a urine test. Nothing wrong with my bladder. She said that she would wait on the blood results before going any further. But she calmed my worries about the pain which had subsided. Told me to take Nurofen if the pain came back. Touch wood it has not reared it's ugly head since.

But next Tuesday I'm back to the doctors for another blood test as they now think I'm anaemic. Guess what? I could have told them that, only goes to show they have not read my notes. As it is in my notes and is highlighted.
Back in 1975 after the Moorgate rail disaster, I became a blood donor but after a few visits I was diagnosed with being anaemic. My own doctors never done anything about it. And to be perfectly honest it has never bothered me.
But we will see what happens next.

Still doing my walks. Still gardening, and looking after my neighbours garden. Still walking Debbie's dog, I have stopped Alexa from dragging with a few treats.

Thanks for reading.

Keep safe.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 1st May 2021 at 12:46.. Reason: Spellin'
Old 12th June 2021, 09:36   #545
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Absolutely no regrets…………..

…………………………… of pulling up my roots and moving to Saltash Cornwall. 3 years ago today I followed the removal truck away from Barkingside to start my new life in Cornwall. I left family & friends behind but my memories came with me.
June the 8th marked two years since I moved into my new home, and I’m still loving it.

We have news from England. Michael has had his cast removed and is hobbling about with the aid of a walking stick. He is still wearing the snow boot. He can also manage the stairs now, which is a good thing as he can now get upstairs to have a shower and sleep in his own bed. His daughter Laura goes over three/four times a week to help with any shopping he wants.
Michael has given his car to Laura & Ollie to use. Saves either of them having to cycle back and to Michael’s. None of them want to chance the tube and it’s a nightmare journey on the bus.

Michael has a hospital appointment in August where he is hoping to get the all clear. So hopefully he will be able to come down and stay with me for a week or so. The plan will be for me to drive up and stay a couple of nights then return with Michael. Then do the return trip in the same way. Something to look forward to.

We have other news, Elizabeth has been released from hospital but has the long COVID-19 symptoms. She is currently staying with her late fiancé Mum and Dad and of course her son. Elizabeth has hinted that she may sell her late fathers house and move to a bungalow away from London.
In other news Roger and his family are now living in Canada. Why? I have no idea. Last I heard they were fighting extradition from Jamaica and back to Brazil. I got a phone call from Roger late one night a few weeks ago. Just saying that they were all together and safe. Supposed to be sending me their address but I’ve heard nothing since.

I’m still going on my walks and discovered more of Saltash, got lost a couple of times but then all roads lead to home. Walked around all of the grounds at Mount Edgecumbe. Only just found out that the family who live at Mount Edgecumbe also once owned the house at Cotehele. Which is now run by the National Trust. Cotehele is the other side of St.Mellion, Cornwall. Been there a few times with Allen & Val.

Allen is hoping to get his boat into the water this year. Been rebuilding “Moonstone” for over 5 years now. He has totally gutted it and rebuilt the inside with two bedrooms (Cabins), kitchen (Galley), shower room, toilet (Head) and lounge (Saloon). I have now been enlightened into the correct terminology. ((Thanks Mike))
The engines have been rebuilt and should be going back in soon. Still needs the hull and top deck to be painted.
A friend of mine, yes I have friends, is going to rewire all the lighting and fit the navigation lights.

Matt Darke aka Cable Tie as been an absolute diamond in getting Banana back up to be fully operational again. After the “Cam belt incident” she has had loads of work done by Matt including new brakes all the way round. She put up a fight with him and drew blood. A friend of Matt’s got her DRL’s working again.
In between this the Bear has also been on the receiving end of Matt’s work. We now have the LED headlight units out of Bumbles. The exKeith24 car. Matt bought the car from Keith. I drove Bumbles whilst Banana was having a new cam belt fitted.

Looks like the mini tours will be starting next month, providing we get the ok after June 24th. First trip will be to the All Rover meet at East Kirby with Banana.
Another planned trip is weekend away with the Southwest Crew to Penzance. Then there is the trip up to London. On this trip I’m hoping to get to see my god daughter up in Earls Colne. There are plans to return to the Frimley breakfast meet.

It will be nice to go and see Val at the cemetery, I have missed these visits. But they are the only things I have missed about going back.

It came as quite a shock about learning of Richards, RPWC, accident. A very good friend of mine is Richard. I have been in contact with Fiona, Richards wife. It will be a long recovery for Richard. I know he has a lot of support from this forum, and lots of friends that will rally round to help Fiona and the children out.
Once Richard is out of hospital I will visit him.

I know all about fractured skulls as Val had at least two plus bleeds on the brain. She did recover from these injuries eventually. But it was a long haul. It was Val’s MS that finally caught up with her in December 2010. I still remember that day like it was yesterday. Memories will always be there.

Thanks for reading and the kind comments.

No doubt I will be meeting up with a few of you this year

Keep safe people.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 12th June 2021 at 14:15.. Reason: Correcting my mistakes
Old 12th July 2021, 10:18   #546
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool We have news from England..................................

.................................. Good and not so good.

The reasonably good news is that Roger and family are here in London, but might be deported back to Brazil. I only have the news through a third party so it's unclear what is going on. I have made no attempt to contact him.
Elizabeth is making steady progress in the recovery, and the house which was her Dad's is on the market to be sold. I have spoken to her in short phone call as her breathing is none too good. Still small steps lead to bigger one's.

The other bit of good news is that Michael is starting to drive again, 3 months after breaking his ankle. He is finally getting something done about his house, before it falls down. Only been 15 years since he was first told that it needed work. And he is looking forward to coming down to me next month. We were last together in September 2019.

The not so good news is that Michael's daughter Laura has been diagnosed with ME. She already has a brain illness which only effects the female side of the family. Coupled with this her and her boyfriend are now living apart. He has gone back to live with his Mum as he is depressed. Seems he has suffered with depression for a number of years. Which is no help to Laura. She is staying at the flat till the lease runs out in September, then she will move back to her Dad's.

My news is all good. Bumper crop of strawberries from the plants I brought down from Essex, over 3 years ago. I have been giving tubs of strawberries away. And I have orders for the strawberry plants. I'm in the process of potting the "leaders" off.
When I first moved down I brought a potted lily with me. When it flowered in Essex the flowers were a vibrant colour of Red. My first year in Cornwall it never flowered. Once I had moved into the new house I re-planted in the garden.

The lily plant has grown to nearly 3 foot tall and has given me 14 flowers in the most delicate shade of Pink. Different acids in the soil has altered the colours. From tip to tip the petals measure 8 inches across..
I have had people knocking on my front door complimenting me on my colourful front garden. Makes me feel really proud.
The back garden is just a sea of colour, which cheers me up no end.

Last Friday I travelled up to Weymouth to meet up with the "old folk" aka Ian & Jan. As Ian is thinking of selling the "Sprout" off, he is getting rid of the spares he has put together over the last few years. I have bought most of the bits. I was well chuffed when Ian also offered two rare poster prints plus a model of a Morris Minor. The real car took part in the London-Peking rally.
I never give up on a good deal so I bought the lot, best 19/4d spent.
Plus Ian had baked me a loaf of bread to bring home. And I was given a raspberry plant to bring home.

Jan kept me supplied with tea and Norfolk shortbread biscuits plus a nice piece of fruit cake. They are both keeping well. Their bungalow is really nice and looks so much better since Ian has carried out a lot of work himself.
It was soon time for me to leave, so with the Bear fully loaded up we said our goodbyes I was off.
Needed Bear juice in the local Esso garage then headed home. All good till I hit the A30 at Honiton. It was shut owing to a Police incident. So I followed the crowd, I had no idea where I was headed.

Eventually I became the lead car as those in front had either turned off or had shot ahead. In unfamiliar roads I have a tendency to take it easy. Came to a "T" junction and I turned left, and the following cars came with me. And the good news was I was on the A373 and heading towards Cullompton and the M5.
Once on the M5 it was best described as a spirited drive home, Warp Factor 3 and a bit where applicable was on the cards. Not much passed us.
Home by 8pm. Car unloaded in the rain. Phoned Ian to let him know I was home and thanked him for everything.

Because of the rain over the last two weeks Banana is still not fixed. The weather is finally looking good from tomorrow onwards. Matt will be down tomorrow to get ole Yella fixed. If not the she will have to be trailered up to Dave Lincs to get sorted. I really miss driving Banana, she means so much to me. And a well loved car judging by the pm's and text messages I have received.

Hoping the next news we receive from Fiona about RPWC is good news. I don't like to phone or text at this very trying time for her and family. He is in my prayers.

One last piece of Good News is that the last time I felt this Happy was on the 28th August 1993, when I married my Val.

Keep Safe, meet up real soon.

onen hag oll
Old 17th July 2021, 10:26   #547
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Angry That one phone call...................................

............................................... that knocks the stuffing right out of you. Well, I have just received some awful news from England. Sue, my good mate Bob's sister, has just phoned to say Bob is seriously ill in hospital and is not expected to live for much longer. He has stomach and liver cancer. He was diagnosed with throat cancer 3 years ago. But he fought the cancer and he was in remission.

The news has knocked me for 6. I had planned to surprise him on my next trip to London. Wanted to buy him a pint, now that isn't going to happen.
Bob is the most laid back person I have ever had the privilege to meet. We have been firm friends since a chance meeting in our local back in Barkingside in about 1984. Along with my other good friend, Mick, we used to have a few good sessions. Plus along with my Val and her brother Michael. We used to travel to loads of beer festivals in and around London.

Sue will let me know when the time comes for me to say my final goodbye.
Such sad news as Bob is only 63. He used to look after his Mum, who has just turned 94. But depending on how you look at it, she has no idea how ill her son is. She has dementia.

onen hag oll
Old 17th July 2021, 10:48   #548
BRG75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer, 9th & 10th Rovers

Bob,

Please accept our deep commiserations.

Mike & Jan

Last edited by BRG75; 17th July 2021 at 10:50..
BRG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2021, 13:22   #549
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

That is so sad to hear Bob, when you hear news out of the blue.

Dawn And Julien.
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2021, 07:20   #550
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

We are a strange beast Bob. The reason it hurts so much is the very fact that we have had such good times together, those memories are treasures.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote