Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Was it you?
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st April 2021, 18:53   #1
GJ53 DGO
Gets stuck in

MG-ZT 260SE

Default Naughty Naughty

Saw this in Hull at about 17:45 on 21/04/2021. Might wanna try taxing it...

GJ53 DGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2021, 19:56   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Your not trying hard enough, you have to spot the taxed car in Hull
Old 22nd April 2021, 10:02   #3
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

Oops, easily done I suppose.

I tax my car and pay monthly by DD. Works out at £17.93 per month. Saves a whole load of heartache or having to find a couple of hundred squids in one go.
Old 22nd April 2021, 13:34   #4
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Can easily happen by accident under the current online system. Happen to my fiancé on her daily. Set up a monthly direct debit over 2 years ago when we bought the car, payments had been going fine for over 2 years until last month. Luckily she noticed no direct debit payment went out. Checked online and it was showing as untaxed! She had to set up the direct debit again. No warning or notification letter or email to state any reason why the direct debit was no longer going to be collected, didn't make sense why as the direct debit had been running fine for over 2 years.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2021, 16:13   #5
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Since you are supposed to either tax or SORN when it becomes due, I have never understood why there are still untaxed cars running around the roads. Surely the DVLA could just send out a fine notice (after allowing a few days grace), and let the recipient argue his case. This is what the SORN legislation was supposed to do when it was brought in.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2021, 16:47   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
Since you are supposed to either tax or SORN when it becomes due, I have never understood why there are still untaxed cars running around the roads. Surely the DVLA could just send out a fine notice (after allowing a few days grace), and let the recipient argue his case. This is what the SORN legislation was supposed to do when it was brought in.
they do, and have done for at least the past 15 years. I think the grace period is around 6-8 weeks though, however, you did have to back date it during the grace period.

After the grace period, the fine was automatically posted to you with a pay by date or else it would increase etc. (if I recall it was equal to the value of the unpaid tax) AND still had to back date it.

If you no longer owned the car, I think the fine was still payable, and the lapsed tax would have been recalculated (I cannot remember the wording of it at the time , it was 15 years ago)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2021, 19:26   #7
skellum
Avid contributor

MG ZT

I taxed the daughter in law's car online for her a couple of weeks ago.
Payment accepted and car taxed, but it also delivered gave a message that her SORN had expired 4 months or so ago, and that "vehicles must be continuously taxed or SORNed and we may enquire about the circumstances relating to this gap".
No automatic fine, but clearly the system picks up gaps in tax/SORN.
It's never happened to me, but I imagine the absence of a tax disc in windscreen certainly doesn't help you remember.
skellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2021, 21:20   #8
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

[QUOTE=clf;2877775]they do, and have done for at least the past 15 years. I think the grace period is around 6-8 weeks though, however, you did have to back date it during the grace period.

It may have been so originally, but I have a friend who overlooked his renewal recently for 5 months - no letter, no fine, and he just went out and got a new MOT and then taxed it with no arrears when he realised.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2021, 15:26   #9
Yorkshire GOC
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 connoisseur se v6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Your not trying hard enough, you have to spot the taxed car in Hull
I always thought the same about Coventry -you cheeky beggar.

The Silver Machine was the 13th of 160 Rover 75's to come off the production line that day and is the 100th of 527 Starlight Silver Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto saloons listed in the build records produced world wide.
Yorkshire GOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2021, 20:13   #10
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-sta View Post
Can easily happen by accident under the current online system. Happen to my fiancé on her daily. Set up a monthly direct debit over 2 years ago when we bought the car, payments had been going fine for over 2 years until last month. Luckily she noticed no direct debit payment went out. Checked online and it was showing as untaxed! She had to set up the direct debit again. No warning or notification letter or email to state any reason why the direct debit was no longer going to be collected, didn't make sense why as the direct debit had been running fine for over 2 years.
Yes, I didn't get any reminder for my vehicle that had it's tax expire end of January 2021. I SORN'd it mid-February (as it was under repair) and taxed it again in March.

I can't see why the DVLA cannot send out reminders as it is the computer that generates them. There is machines that can also fold the A4 page and place into an envelope. Finally, it can frank it and post it. Simples!

I bet the plod won't take that as an excuse and the latest "legislation" means that any vehicle overdue two months or more must be seized.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote