Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th April 2010, 20:02   #11
Jezzer 1
I really should get out more.......

75 V8 Connoisseur SE Saloon: 75 V8 Contemporary SE Saloon and others!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUBIE View Post
An ebay buy, spur of the moment. I have now cut my hands off.

Anyway I picked up the old girl on Thursday, as stated in the ebay auction the owner suspected a head gasket gone and I was preparing myself for the worse. He stated that the car has lost coolant and overheated so took some OAT with me to top it up with about a litre of coolant.

Deffo FAN does not work at all, which may have been the overheating issue, no water in the V so not loosing from thermostat.

No oil in coolant as far as I can see, and a small amount of gunge on the oil filler cap and the top of the oil filler tank but dipstick is nice and oily, so I don't think it has HGF.

Any way drove the 200 miles from Sunderland to Peterborough Thursday night, with diags enabled most of the time the temp sat around 95-98 degrees, a few times climbed to 100-105 and once to about 112, but then came back down again as I dropped speed. after about 150 miles topped up with another 1/2 litre after letting it cool down. So need to invest in a replacement fan and find where coolants going.

Gave it a clean today and saw that the Council - ex Mayors car, who owned it did not take great care of it body wise, scratches, swirls and paint chips on doors, wings you name it. Also looks like drivers side rear quarter has been resprayed as orange peel paint can be seen and both McNellie back doors has some surface rust near the bottom that will need sorted.

Should say it's got LPG which was very economical coming down. SATNAV was not locating exact position but just a loose connector, auto gear box seems sweet, and it's done 67K.

A few pics later.

Stubs
Funny, sounds like all the same mechanical symptoms as my blue limo - and that's LPG as well. Wonder if there's some connection between the LPG conversion and possible HGF? Mines done the same mileage as well.
Old 21st April 2010, 05:55   #12
Kandyman
Banned

ROVER 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Limousine 2004

Welcome to the LWB club
Kandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 15:11   #13
Bernard LPG

75 V6 Saloon 2003 LPG MGZT V8 260 LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer 1 View Post
Funny, sounds like all the same mechanical symptoms as my blue limo - and that's LPG as well. Wonder if there's some connection between the LPG conversion and possible HGF? Mines done the same mileage as well.
No, the only possible issue ever with LPG, is with poor quality valve seats which has never been a Rover problem. The head gasket doesn't know what fuel is running in the engine.
Bernard LPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 16:09   #14
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandyman View Post
Welcome to the LWB club
Isn't it time for a LWB section then ????
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 16:25   #15
kevin

ford focus ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard LPG View Post
No, the only possible issue ever with LPG, is with poor quality valve seats which has never been a Rover problem. The head gasket doesn't know what fuel is running in the engine.
that a BIG NO then, some would think you know what your taking about.
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 21:26   #16
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

Update

I've been taking the LWB out on a 10-15 minute runs and seeing what the temp is doing. I've also been topping it up regularly and I do not know where the coolant is going. I've been topping up with probably 10% coolant mix rather than 50%. I also today fitted a new expansion cap as I saw I had coolant round the top of the tank after letting the car cool down.

Tonight I took on a 10 mile run to the local LPG garage to fill up, going there with the temp diags on display I saw that it sat between 94-96 degrees. This was after I topped up the coolant. Coming back The temp was more erratic with it going up to 111 and averaging between 98-106. I did not hear the fan come on although the fan did cycle over the weekend after I turned on the air con.

One question should the top hose pipes, the large one and the thin one coming from the expansion tank get hot?, as in too hot to touch as well as the expansion tank itself.

Also I had coolant round the top of the expansion tank again after the drive, and I hear a phizzing sound near the top of the tank. Can't be the new cap could it be a seal break or a crack in the neck?

BTW notice that the fixing for the radiator have been removed at some point in the past and that a lot of the coolant hoses have jub clips rather than the rover ones. hmmm.

Any thoughts guys. I have it booked in with Lates in a few weeks time but I would like to get a vac coolant change just to rule out an air lock.

Stubs
STUBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 21:40   #17
MN190
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190+

Have you checked that the fan kicks in by keeping the engine running with the car stopped rather than trying to hear it kick in.

The only time my pipes got too hot to touch was when the fan wasn't working. Will check in the morning after car has run to work if nobody else answers one way or another before then.
MN190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 21:54   #18
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

Thanks for the reply MN190, No I've never had the fan kick in when the temp is rising, I believe I have no slow and possibly no medium fan and I don't know at what temp high fan would kick in but certainly never heard it. I did think the fan was totally jiggered but as stated at the weekend I hear it cycling as I had the air on down low.

I've got a new kenlowe to fit at the weekend so perhaps all will be better with that fitted certainly would be good to know I've got a fan cooling the engine.

Stubs
STUBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 07:51   #19
MN190
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190+

Well on this mornings run in to work car never got above 93°C even when stopped. Air con in Econ mode and fan didn't kick in when stopped.
Switched onto Auto and fan kicked in when stood still temp went up to 95°C
Switched back to Econ and temp stayed between 94 and 95 with no fan.
The original 3 speed fan was replace a couple of years ago with a Kenlowe fan and wired up as per Keiths how to.

Pipes and bottom of expansion tank where too hot to touch.
Old 29th April 2010, 17:06   #20
MN190
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190+

Managed to get up to 97 after getting home.
On Econ fan was running