Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th May 2010, 08:14   #1
rgtly
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+ 190

Default Can't fill up screen wash!!!

Hi all,

I went to top up the screen wash yesterday using a bottle that had been sitting around for a while. I didn't realise that the screen wash had gunged up in the bottle until it instantly started overflowing. Once the level had dropped I notice that the filter at the top of the resevoir is now full of gunge. Does anyone know if I can get that filter out to clean it or should I just try flushing with lots of water to try to clear the blockage?

Cheers
rgtly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 08:23   #2
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

These bottles are prone to gunging up, so much so that I take mine out of the car and give it a good clean out any time I need the bumper off.

I've never found a reliable method of cleaning, other than removal of the bottle.

That sounds a little extreme I know but there are lots of things you can do and check when the front bumper is off and it only takes a few minutes to remove it
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 11:46   #3
rgtly
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+ 190

Thanks for the feedback Raistlin.

Oh b*****r ..... I thought that would be the response!!

I've just found a thread showing how to get to the reservoir from the wheel arch liner and not being confident removing the bumper think I'll look at getting in that way.
Old 26th May 2010, 16:08   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

When you get to the reservoir, sterilise it for a couple of hours with hot water containing bleach. The gunge is usually bacterial slime which builds up over time. The little b*gg**s feed on the detergent, so always use a good brand of screenwash additive/detergent. They should contain bactericides.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 18:23   #5
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

You can with care remove the filter from the washer bottle, from inside drivers wheel arch behind liner.
This is easiest and quickest route then flush through with a hose whilst filter out.
Clean all the gunge out of filter then refit, refill and away you go.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 21:51   #6
rgtly
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+ 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
When you get to the reservoir, sterilise it for a couple of hours with hot water containing bleach. The gunge is usually bacterial slime which builds up over time. The little b*gg**s feed on the detergent, so always use a good brand of screenwash additive/detergent. They should contain bactericides.

TC
Will do that, good idea. This time it was my fault really. Although I do use what I think is a good screenwash (always buy from Shell?!?!) I had left this bottle sitting around for a while and didn't check it before I poured it in. After the resevoir instantly overflowed, and I know it was previously empty as the light was on(!) I looked in the bottle and it was all gungy.... doh!! That'll learn me to check what I'm pouring into the car!!