Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th May 2010, 21:45   #11
rossocorsa
Posted a thing or two

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolled1 View Post
Doing the air intake mod worked for me,fact,I know my own car as I drive it every day,and it certainly pulled better and lower down after doing this mod,it's not a placebo effect nor a "fairy story" so dont try and insult me or others by claiming it is,I dont know the exact effect as I havent put it on a rolling road nor do I intend to just to satisfy your curiousity,you're entitled to your opinion and me to mine,I know it worked for me,whether you believe it or not I couldnt give a toss
I think if there is a difference it is very marginal the diesel just doesn't ingest enough air for a dramatic effect it would be really interesting to see some proper controlled tests I semi regret doing mine as my obd2 reader suggest that even on the basic mod (inlet cut back opened up but still in the slam panel)the intake tempo has increased a bit when the engine is warm.
rossocorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 22:12   #12
Rolled1
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossocorsa View Post
I think if there is a difference it is very marginal the diesel just doesn't ingest enough air for a dramatic effect it would be really interesting to see some proper controlled tests I semi regret doing mine as my obd2 reader suggest that even on the basic mod (inlet cut back opened up but still in the slam panel)the intake tempo has increased a bit when the engine is warm.
on its own the air mod isnt going to be that noticeable,much like the egr bypass but with a synergy it's vital,the synergy to take it down to its most basic level is simply supplying more fuel to the engine,that extra fuel can only lead to extra power if it has an adequate supply of air otherwise the excess fuel just gets burnt up which manifests itself as black smoke out the exhausts,the purposefully restrictive air intake chosen by bmw to keep power down simply cant supply enough air to the engine to cope with a synergy set on high,however open it up and you will notice a transformation,more air and more fuel equals more power
Rolled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 22:13   #13
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Remember to remove the splash shield and all the other gubbins under there.
Many just saw of corrugated bit and cut at the top of slam panel due to the difficulty of removing the three screws to fully release.

The air intake of course is not only beneficial to prevent water ingress that damages MAF (If you drive through the weirs and floods in Wales you will know what I mean)
The extra air is required after a Remap and/or a Synergy fitting.
There just isn't a enough airflow for it to work at its best. (Rover Ron's consensus to).

If you don't like the idea or believe the rolling road test on members cars there is of course no reason to do it,
always the members decision in the end, no pressure, no arguments, you decide.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 22:50   #14
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Remember to remove the splash shield and all the other gubbins under there.
Many just saw of corrugated bit and cut at the top of slam panel due to the difficulty of removing the three screws to fully release.

They can be problematic.... Usually the last one you try!!

The air intake of course is not only beneficial to prevent water ingress that damages MAF (If you drive through the weirs and floods in Wales you will know what I mean)
Yeah ! Welcome to WWW...... Wet West Wales

The extra air is required after a Remap and/or a Synergy fitting.
There just isn't a enough airflow for it to work at its best. (Rover Ron's consensus too).

If you don't like the idea or believe the rolling road test on members cars there is of course no reason to do it,
always the members decision in the end, no pressure, no arguments, you decide.
I've removed the splash guard as well as the "intake" . Besides there is plenty of air-flow with or without the splash-guard. Once the mod has been done. Since doing the mod I've not noticed that much difference in performance ... The spray from lorries in front of me in wet weather, does not seem to affect the performance between dry weather. Or not as much as before I did the mod (V.2) Each unto their own opinions I suppose...

But at least I'm no longer contaminating the MAF sensor with water spray

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Last edited by Dragrad; 26th May 2010 at 22:53..
Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 22:51   #15
Devilish
Been round the block

75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc.t1 View Post
I know this is a hotly debated subject, i.e to modify or not to modify, but anyway hopefully we will stay away from that one,
I read this part
Old 26th May 2010, 23:00   #16
rossocorsa
Posted a thing or two

None

how exactly are you menat to remove the 'splash guard' it looks pretty inaccessible to me?
rossocorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 01:49   #17
Scribbler.
Gets stuck in

Rover 75. Saloon. Red. V6. 2.5.

Hi for what its worth, on my 75 club se, 2.5L KV6, I removed all from the large flexi-hose onward when fitting my new fan as the coilspring large hose had disentigrated anyway. Also removed the udertray, horn cowlings, induction scoop and 90% of the fan cowling.
My engine now has full clear airflow for cooling and A reliable Kenlowe fan and finally no more over heating, fluctuating between 93 and 100 degrees on the "Hans" scale.
Performance; may be slightly improved though I have no intention of wasting money testing this. `She' pulls like a train, has terrific torque, is around normal for a 2.5 auto in consumption and drives superbly. What more can any car do. Mike.
Scribbler. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 07:34   #18
Mintee
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
so you tuned your car by cutting the length of the air intake?
what was the difference? more miles per gallon? more torque? faster acceleration?
so far , no one has come up with a difinitive answer to any of these questions yet.
as an aside, did you know that torque can be increased/decreased by the length of the air intake? shortening usually decreases torque,so how it makes sense to do this mod, i do not know.
now we will have forum members coming and telling us "fairy stories" about extra 10 mpg,0-60 in 7.0 seconds. i will believe it when firstly put on a rolling road. then the mod done, and put back on the rolling road. see if there is any difference. my betting :zilch, only less torque at certain revs which most of us do not use.
I'm not telling you to do anything so a bit less of the aggression please.

I do not have a dyno chart to show you but I could feel a difference in the way the car pulls, more low down torque and no problem at higher revs. I did not notice a difference to fuel consumption either.

I don't have a lot of experience 'tuning' cars but I've spent a lot of money in my life playing with motorcycles and this was easily the cheapest and simplest way I have EVER made 'improvements' to a vehicle. I'm guessing it is because the inlet is pretty restricted as it came from the factory. Now this may be due to BMW wanting to restrict the motor in a Rover so as not to compete with it in the 3 or 5 series, it might be a consequence of the design of the grille, it might be something else entirely.

But I don't really care. All I did was search the forums, read the reports and cut the pipe off and noticed that it 'felt' (by my seat-of-the-pants dyno) 'better'.

If you don't want to do it, don't do it. It's not going to change my life.
Mintee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 15:14   #19
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
so you tuned your car by cutting the length of the air intake?
what was the difference? more miles per gallon? more torque? faster acceleration?
so far , no one has come up with a difinitive answer to any of these questions yet.
as an aside, did you know that torque can be increased/decreased by the length of the air intake? shortening usually decreases torque,so how it makes sense to do this mod, i do not know.
now we will have forum members coming and telling us "fairy stories" about extra 10 mpg,0-60 in 7.0 seconds. i will believe it when firstly put on a rolling road. then the mod done, and put back on the rolling road. see if there is any difference. my betting :zilch, only less torque at certain revs which most of us do not use.

???? mine is facts plus a better air intake will give better performance, used to do it to all the cars i had when younger ,and yes you could feel the diffrence in the pull of the car and of the mark had more response. cars will have timing set at what the makers set it at ,put it on the other mark and see the diffrence in power ..

Last edited by chrissyboy; 27th May 2010 at 15:17..
chrissyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2010, 15:23   #20
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilish View Post
I read this part

i suggest that all the doubting thomas`s do it to their cars ,then that way they will see that it works