Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th May 2010, 15:49   #1
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Question Blue smoke

Hi
Can anyone explain what may be the cause? First of all my R75 CDT on 52 plate with 76K on the clock is running well with no loss of performance. I have a Rover Ron box set at 4 and over the last 15 months I've had new injectors, replaced the PCV valve and last weekend I cleaned the EGR valve that was really messed up. I'm not loosing any significant oil - no top ups between servicing!

The only time I see blue smoke is when my wife drives down the street and slows down at the bottom to negotiate the bend. It's usually from cold when this happens - I would just like to know what it could be hoping that it's nothing expensive looming.

Thanks
Rob
robbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 15:59   #2
Cymrudragon
I really should get out more.......

MGZTT2.5 V6 190+ SE 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrooks View Post
Hi
Can anyone explain what may be the cause? First of all my R75 CDT on 52 plate with 76K on the clock is running well with no loss of performance. I have a Rover Ron box set at 4 and over the last 15 months I've had new injectors, replaced the PCV valve and last weekend I cleaned the EGR valve that was really messed up. I'm not loosing any significant oil - no top ups between servicing!

The only time I see blue smoke is when my wife drives down the street and slows down at the bottom to negotiate the bend. It's usually from cold when this happens - I would just like to know what it could be hoping that it's nothing expensive looming.

Thanks
Rob
Blue smoke usually denotes oil beeing burnt in the engine. when you say start up do you mean the first start after the car as sat over night,,and if you stop for a while and start up does it still blow blue smoke or does it have to be sat longer say a couple of hours?
Cymrudragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 16:32   #3
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

You could check the Intercooler "O" Rings.
The pipe often slips out with original rings,
Replace with Viton O Rings from the likes of member Jules.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2010, 19:00   #4
loz1971
Posted a thing or two

2000 (W) Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (manual)

Mine had this problem,only smoked when cold for the first mile or so,or for some reason when the FBH was used.

My posts are here somewhere, but it turned out that the oil had been checked incorrectly and over filled. It has had 2 oil changes since, the last one by me, and it doesn't do it any more (surprisingly)

"Plus It's not a man purse, it's called a satchel...Indiana Jones wears one"
loz1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 07:47   #5
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by loz1971 View Post
Mine had this problem,only smoked when cold for the first mile or so,or for some reason when the FBH was used.

My posts are here somewhere, but it turned out that the oil had been checked incorrectly and over filled. It has had 2 oil changes since, the last one by me, and it doesn't do it any more (surprisingly)

Now this is a possible since I've thought that the oil level has been high since the last service. It's only 6 months since the oil change but it still shows slightly over max.
Thanks
Old 31st May 2010, 07:48   #6
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Wink

Quote:

Sorry FBH? what's this
Old 31st May 2010, 07:50   #7
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Wink

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
You could check the Intercooler "O" Rings.
The pipe often slips out with original rings,
Replace with Viton O Rings from the likes of member Jules.
I've heard of this. Have we got any How to's - I'm no mechanic either, but can lend my hand to simple jobs. Replaced headlamps and cleaned EGR, changed air filter etc. Is it any more difficult than these jobs?
Old 31st May 2010, 08:27   #8
radi8or
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

"Sorry FBH? what's this"

Fuel Burning Heater, unique to diesels, pre heater for engine and interior, I think

"Replace with Viton O Rings from the likes of member Jules."

Clicky
Old 31st May 2010, 12:44   #9
loz1971
Posted a thing or two

2000 (W) Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (manual)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrooks View Post
Now this is a possible since I've thought that the oil level has been high since the last service. It's only 6 months since the oil change but it still shows slightly over max.
Thanks
Yep, that's it, exactly the same as mine, I think the person that I bought mine off didn't know the correct way to check the oil and topped it up thinking it was low

I wouldn't worry about the Fuel burning heater, but as I said, every time I tested mine, when I started the car after I had the blue smoke

I replaced the O rings, with ones from the god that is Jules, along with cleaning the PCV and EGR, it didn't stop the smoke though, but it's still worth doing as it really improve the acceleration and the MPG.

Probably best to do an oil change on yours, and replace the O rings with some from Jules

"Plus It's not a man purse, it's called a satchel...Indiana Jones wears one"

Last edited by loz1971; 31st May 2010 at 12:51..
loz1971 is offline   Reply With Quote