Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st June 2010, 15:09   #11
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

All this depends on circumstances as said. As long as you are driving leagally then no-one can force you to do anything if you don´t want to (Emergency and Police excempt of course). If I can move ove or slow down a a certain point to allow -Mr in a hurry- to get by then I will. But I decide not him. Dangerous driving is just that. No one forces you to overtake dangerously just because they won´t go fast enough (in your opinion). Again it is up to the driver to do what they think is right as long as they are within the law. You can get done for going too slow in Germany I believe but not in UK as I understand and certainly not in Sweden. Over here there is a recomendation that you should pull over to the hard shoulder if it is safe to do so and let traffic by if you think that they want to and if YOU think it is safe. I don´t tollerate bullies and there has been a few craked heads over the years because of it (and not mine).

Over here you are welcome to ring the police and report dangerous driving with car and number. They keep this info for future reference. So if 20 people ring inabout one numberplate and that car subsiquently gets into an accident where word is against word then the 20 who´ve rung in could be used as a -characte reference- against the nurd. I´ve done this with lorry drivers. Works quite well A car is firstly a deadly weapon and should be treated with that in mind
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 15:39   #12
Joseph
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club Saloon Manual CDT

I know people who have been pulled over for being too slow in england.
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 15:58   #13
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
I know people who have been pulled over for being too slow in england.

Yup...Police policy...arrest fik people....keep 'em off the streets....

Overtaking is fine when done in a safe and sensible manner....rather than done through frustration..

Last edited by Zeb; 1st June 2010 at 16:06..
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 17:08   #14
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Yes I know several officers that have done drivers for "Driving without due care and attention" by going way under the maximum speed limit.
If you are causing a tailback you can quite easily get booked.

In the states this is a common booking offence for travelling to slowly and causing a jam.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 17:11   #15
BlackMagic
Loves to post

Used to have: MG ZT 190 SE+

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgfull View Post
I'm not certain where this is going as most poster's seem to be implying that you should never overtake!.

I am with Black Magic on this one, If people are content to dawdle along then fine and all well and good - but given sufficient space and clear roads there is absolutely nothing wrong in overtaking. And yes the dawdlers should leave a sufficient gap for overtaking cars to pull in if the need arises. If they are content to dawdle they should not be upset with those that are not.

Overtaking should always be an assessment of how safe it is - not how dangerous! (a state of mind thing).

Steve
Thank you - I was beginning to think I was the ODD man out!
BlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 17:14   #16
JohnDotCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagic View Post
Thank you - I was beginning to think I was the ODD man out!

As someone who drives around the country every day and to meets etc totalling 40,000 miles per year
I tend to just plod along with the flow, with an occasional burst of speed as required.
Old 1st June 2010, 17:20   #17
BlackMagic
Loves to post

Used to have: MG ZT 190 SE+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
Yes I know several officers that have done drivers for "Driving without due care and attention" by going way under the maximum speed limit.
If you are causing a tailback you can quite easily get booked.

In the states this is a common booking offence for travelling to slowly and causing a jam.
This is exactly my point - if you are driving on an A road (single carriageway) like I was and the speed limit is 60mph and you choose to drive at 40mph - you should take cognisance of those behind you and allow them to overtake and certainly NOT get aggrieved when they do so. The dawdling driver is as much as nuisance as the speeding driver and they are undoubtedly a CAUSE of frustration that undoubtedly leads to additional risk taking by those following.

To be crystal clear my experience was on rural A roads and miles upon miles of them hence 20mph of a difference is VERY significant in terms of my ability to cover distance.

I am NOT advocating excessive speed but what I am advocating is that people have a right and expectation to be able to cover distance at the legal limit and therefore NOT be excessively impeded by those who wish to dawdle. Yes they are well within their rights to dawdle at whatever speed they wish but they should NOT impede those following who wish to drive at the legal limit and they should leave sufficient gap to allow following traffic to pass.

I have stirred up a bit of a hornets nest with this one!
BlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 17:23   #18
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
As someone who drives around the country every day and to meets etc totalling 40,000 miles per year
I tend to just plod along with the flow, with an occasional burst of speed as required.
You lying HOUND
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 17:30   #19
JohnDotCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
You lying HOUND

Woof, Woof!
Old 1st June 2010, 17:33   #20
JohnDotCom

We have a lot of Tractor drivers around here, going along at up to 20mph on certain roads from field to field or whatever,
this can hold up the traffic, but most know the places to pull over and allow motorists to get by and continue their journeys at ease.