Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th July 2016, 18:42   #1
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Default My new road bike

Hi to all.
Last night I became the proud owner of a 1983 Peugeot Equipe Road bike .
Back in 1983 when I was a gangly 14 old i always remember this bike standing on display in the front window of Halfords for £109. Halfords back then were mainly small high street shops and not the big huge stores we see nowadays. Money was always tight for my parents when I was a youngster and i never asked for anything off them because I knew they were both struggling to survive after they parted. Never the less though, I fell in love with this bike. It was a modern looking bike with a lugless frame and skinny 700c wheels and painted in a bright red finish. I never mentioned a word to my mum that i liked this bike but unbeknown to me she spotted me gazing at it one day. One August day just before my birthday we were both in town one afternoon and i asked if I could pop into Halfords for a new brake cable for my old rusty bike I had at the time.Once inside the shop my mum took me over to this red Peugeot on display in the window and asked me casually what I thought of it. I told her what I though about it and was purely expecting nothing more of it ,but she then turned round and said " well there's one upstairs in the shop waiting for you ) I was shocked to say the least and could of been knocked over with a feather. I couldn't believe she had spent so much money on me and bought me something that I never thought I would ever be the proud owner of such a great looking bike.I was speechless and over the moon and gave a big hug and kiss.. In the years I had the bike I covered thousands of miles on it and won many time trails in my local cycling club beating many club mates with much more expensive bikes. I would cycle 60 miles a day in my peak and would not even feel the effects of it the next day.Later on I started competing against other clubs and had some good wins, (not always though ) I enjoyed every minute of my club days. Eventually the frame of the bike started to show serious signs of hard use and ended up relegated to the skip. Fast forward to four years ago my mum sadly past away and "as you do" you reminisce on all the good times you had together. Her buying the bike for me all those years ago always holds a special place for me and have since been on the lookout for another one just for nostalgic reasons. Because they were a relatively basic standard bike most of them were neglected and abused by your average teenager and trying to find one nowadays that are in good condition is virtually impossible. But lady luck struck gold last night when I won one on eBay for a bargain price of £80 and is in fantastic condition . I've been out side this afternoon cleaning and polishing it ,just like I did 33 years ago and " boy " it really feels strange getting close to one of these bikes again. ( especially with the radio blasting out old early 80,s tunes ) It evokes so many good memories of times gone by. This time round though this bike will never be sold on .Its going to be with me for the rest of my days. ��

Last edited by johnnyb44; 8th July 2016 at 19:02..
johnnyb44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 19:56   #2
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

What a fantastic post, thanks for sharing Be great to see some pics of it.
A great story that got me thinking back to 1983 and what bike I had. It was a Raleigh Winner, silver with faded in black details Not a top spec bike by any means but, I loved it and cared for it like I do my cars.
Girls and cars arrived shortly after and I lost interest in the bike and it too got scrapped. Got seriously into mountain biking around 1991 and had various bikes culminating in a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC bought nearly new in 2000 for an obscene amount of money. Still got it 16 years on and I shall keep it for ever now.

Off to look on eBay for a Raleigh Winner

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 20:06   #3
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

Lovely, touching story.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 20:18   #4
barney bear
This is my second home

rover 75 Connoiseur diesel called Rosey

Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,424 Posts

Lovely story, you can't beat a mothers love

My bike around that time would have been a Raleigh Burner bmx, iirc it was black and yellow I can't find a picture of one in that colour combo though so you'll all have to make do with a blue one

Old 8th July 2016, 21:19   #5
mininuts
This is my second home

Cooper S 210

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney bear View Post
Lovely story, you can't beat a mothers love

My bike around that time would have been a Raleigh Burner bmx, iirc it was black and yellow I can't find a picture of one in that colour combo though so you'll all have to make do with a blue one

Burners were and still are so cool
An old friend of mine had a black and gold chrome one, think it was a special edition but I do know it also had gold wheels too
I always wanted a Burner but, with being so tall, I could never ride one properly

2016 MINI Cooper S 210 : 2000 Rover 75 CDT Classic SE : 2009 Freelander 2 GS : 2000 Mini Cooper Sport : 1986 Mini Mayfair : 1980 Mini Pickup : 1971 Mini Cooper S
mininuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 22:04   #6
Duotone
This is my second home

My late 80's touring / club run bike. Purchased brand new.

Returned to cycling last year after a few years break, great to be back cycling every Sunday.

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 22:48   #7
Mike24
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Auto Saloon Connoisseur SE

I also have some great cycling memories. I rode as a teenager in the Charlotteville Cycling Club in Guildford, and after a thirty year gap joined the South Western Road Club and was out every weekend, rain, snow or shine for about eight years. I spent two years teaching in southern India and rode in the Nilgiri hills (altitudes up to 2,500M or 7,500ft) but over the last few years have not been able to find a local club and have gradually stopped riding. However, for the last few months I've started going out again at the weekend and am gradually getting a bit of fitness back. I miss the feeling of getting back after a good day's ride and feeling tired, but not exhausted. Cycling seems to be a sport that can be enjoyed by people well into their seventies, so I should have a good few years left - I'm not quite sixty yet!
Mike24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 07:56   #8
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Wow, what a great story and so glad you got hold of another bike to bring back those fantastic memories

In the eighties my favourite F1 team were Lotus (especially when Senna drove for them) with their JPS liveried 97 and 98T cars

At around that time Raleigh released their Record Sprint racing bike also in black and gold livery (no tobacco sponsorship though ) and my Mum & Dad bought me one for Christmas of 1985 I believe.........I was so made up and I loved that bike as well

Old 9th July 2016, 08:01   #9
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

What a wonderful story, in tears here reading it. Thanks for sharing such a precious memory
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 09:03   #10
maxxpump
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Nice story, I haven't cycle for years, mainly as brighton is one big group of hills and I hate hills...

As a kid my favourite bike was a Apollo Vendetta, which had over sized rrear forks for people to stand on!

Ive now got a town bike with a rack and basket...