Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th August 2016, 05:34   #1
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Tourer radio amplifier

When I removed my symphony unit and replaced it with the Navall Star, the radio would not work. Coolcat confirmed that the Head unit was fine, but that the sypmony had been working OK because it had both aerials plugged in, where as the Navall only has one. So..... there is something wrong with the amplifier.

How the hell do you get to it on the Tourer?? Do I have to pull the whole roof lining off to get to Amplifier?

If you have any pictures or a how to of how you did yours, that would also be very helpful.

thanks
MWMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2016, 06:19   #2
Duotone
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWMan View Post
When I removed my symphony unit and replaced it with the Navall Star, the radio would not work. Coolcat confirmed that the Head unit was fine, but that the sypmony had been working OK because it had both aerials plugged in, where as the Navall only has one. So..... there is something wrong with the amplifier.

How the hell do you get to it on the Tourer?? Do I have to pull the whole roof lining off to get to Amplifier?

If you have any pictures or a how to of how you did yours, that would also be very helpful.

thanks
The aerial amp is located above the offside load window, it is bolted to the roof member.

No need to remove the roof lining, just the rear trim and the load blind locating plate.

The radio aerial is the elements in the load window.

Check you still have 12v on the aerial amp.

If the Symphony worked ok but your new radio does not check the aerial plug at the back of the set [ believe it needs a converter plug for the aerial].

The smaller "aerial" lead is not needed, it for a diversity system that your new unit does not use.

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2016, 07:50   #3
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi Dave - thanks for the info. I do have the convertor plug for the Navall, and have had the connections at the back confirmed by Jeff (Coolcat). So I think its definitely the Amp.

I started to try to access the amp in the way you suggest, but noticed that I was creasing the roof liner quite a bit, so stopped. I notice from your photo, you had the same thing. Does that creasing stay once you have put it all back, or is it like that permanently?

thanks

John
Old 4th August 2016, 08:09   #4
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

As Dave has said, first thing to check is if there is 12v present at the amp.
Also check for any corrosion to the connections

The crease should go when all put back
Old 5th August 2016, 12:49   #5
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

OK - with your very good advice I went and pulled the amp out from the lining. All connections OK, but no 12v on the power supply (Purple / Yellow).

So..... pulled the Navall Star back out again and checked the supplies. The Navall circuit diagram shows the Antenna +12v (pin 12). This is a Blue cable going into the connector block which then connects to the Purple/Yellow cable feeding the Amp.

Physically checked the connections - OK no problem. Then I checked the Volts on the Blue cable with ignition on - Nothing. Tested a few other cables and saw the appropriate volts. There is another switched 12v supply (Red cable marked ACC) coming out of the Navall which had 12v on it. So I tapped into that and fed it to my purple/yellow to feed the amp. Voila ! Radio working.

Not sure why the supposedly correct feed from the Navall has no volts on it. Maybe just my unit, but worth noting if anyone else is having trouble with their radio post Navall Star install.
Old 5th August 2016, 12:53   #6
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
OK - with your very good advice I went and pulled the amp out from the lining. All connections OK, but no 12v on the power supply (Purple / Yellow).

So..... pulled the Navall Star back out again and checked the supplies. The Navall circuit diagram shows the Antenna +12v (pin 12). This is a Blue cable going into the connector block which then connects to the Purple/Yellow cable feeding the Amp.

Physically checked the connections - OK no problem. Then I checked the Volts on the Blue cable with ignition on - Nothing. Tested a few other cables and saw the appropriate volts. There is another switched 12v supply (Red cable marked ACC) coming out of the Navall which had 12v on it. So I tapped into that and fed it to my purple/yellow to feed the amp. Voila ! Radio working.

Not sure why the supposedly correct feed from the Navall has no volts on it. Maybe just my unit, but worth noting if anyone else is having trouble with their radio post Navall Star install.
Glad your sorted.
Not had that problem myself or with other installs that I'm aware of but I'll pull a unit and put it on the bench and test ......just in case
Old 5th August 2016, 13:28   #7
coolcat
This is my second home

Working here on the bench so I'm just going to check if there is a setting in the factory settings that could possibly switch the antenna 12 volt out on or off.

I'll let you know

Old 5th August 2016, 13:36   #8
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks Jeff

I did wonder that, but as a complete novice on the Navall Star menu settings - I wouldn't stand a chance!
Old 5th August 2016, 13:50   #9
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Thanks Jeff

I did wonder that, but as a complete novice on the Navall Star menu settings - I wouldn't stand a chance!
Don't worry,

I can't see any such setting in there anyhow

Certainly the one I've pulled from stock is functioning correctly so possibly you have a rogue 12 volt out feed on yours.

As you say, so long as the amp is getting 12 volts it won't complain as from where

I'll let Sean know though so he's made aware of the problem in case any others arise .

Cheers,
Old 5th August 2016, 14:00   #10
Radioguy
Banned

None

Quote:

Thanks MWman
Hopefully this was a one of, thanks for resolving it, Ill report it to the factory engineer as well,

Sean
Radioguy is offline   Reply With Quote