Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th April 2020, 10:43   #1
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts
Default Dental Treatment in Lockdown

I started to have a tooth problem last Thursday - odd metallic taste when cleaning teeth then gritty bits in mouth.
No pain so thought nothing of it.
But on Saturday I bit down when eating and d@mn near took off with the pain

Managed over the weekend and phoned Dentist this morning. Very impressed with the service considering the situation.

I was rung back by my Dentist in minutes and she assessed what was happening on the phone having brought up my notes and last set of X-rays.

She Triaged me, Rx’s antibiotics and explained that they have set up “hubs” where one practice in an area is fully kitted out with PPE etc and all other surrounding practices are closed but patients can ring in for advice and in an emergency be triaged by a dentist for possible referral onto “the hub”.

It is likely that the tooth will come out on Thursday but they want me to have the antibiotics in my system and working when they do it.

So hats of to them - in difficult times - we still have pretty good service.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2020, 12:05   #2
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

My son has a tooth ache from one that required a deep filling last year. The dentist then said it may not work and if he gets pain book an appt and we may have to remove it. As luck would happen just a few days before lockdown the pain started so he rang and got an appt. When lockdown happened they then rang and cancelled it saying if it gets worse ring. It did so he rang and as with you the dentist rang him back. He told him take pain killers and if your face or neck swells ring me back and I will get antibiotics sent to your home. You will need to take course that will take the swelling away. Ring again if the swelling returns and we will send more antibiotics. Once we are out of lockdown you will be a priority for treatment. WE cannot do any more during the lockdown, sorry.

Not such a good service as your getting. The government was supposed too set up 180 "hubs" but at the last time I checked only 50 exist so most of the country is not covered. So we in Yorkshire cannot get emergency dental treatment even with an infected tooth which would normally be treated urgently to stop complications which can have serious consequences. Could this be due to dentists not wanting to offer the service or not enough PPE for the service to be available? Probably the answer when we hear so much on the subject from care homes etc.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2020, 14:36   #3
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Nice to have a good news story amongst all the doom and gloom. There was a fellah on FB or something who extracted one of his own. I won't go into detail though!!
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2020, 16:40   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Greg View Post
Glad you got sorted out. Nice to have a good news story amongst all the doom and gloom. There was a fellah on FB or something who extracted one of his own. I won't go into detail though!!
Lol, I did that recently with a wisdom tooth that was giving me some grief, I can say it fairly smarted pulling a tooth without anaesthetic, but the relief was instant

Mmm, home dentistry............not for the feint hearted

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tooth.jpg (132.3 KB, 102 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2020, 21:39   #5
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

I'm glad you are receiving the correct treatment Clive, you know my views regarding the dental profession, the system is worst than car insurance.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2020, 22:20   #6
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

I was ordered to shut down in March. I didn't want to at the time, but with hindsight it seems the risks from Covid-19 are much worse than we were originally told and that decision was the right one. Dental practices using ultra-sonic instrumentation and high speed handpieces generating aerosols are potentially 'super-spreaders'.
We've spent tens of thousands on following all of the GDC, CQC, NHS, BDA, and CDC advice to name the main agencies controlling dentistry. Almost everything disposable, and autoclaving and disinfecting everything that isn't and now we're told it isn't good enough. Bit depressing actually. Existing protocols were supposed to be enough to protect our staff, patients and ourselves from Hepatitis A, B, C, AIDS, regular seasonal flu and other unknown threats.
I start a full week of telephone triage on Monday. This will be my second week on the emergency rota. I hated last time being unable to do more than advise on DIY dentistry to people in trouble, many of whom have supported our little practice since I started in Truro in September 1999 . No regular PPE let alone enhanced PPE is available from normal suppliers. Pressure of dental emergencies is inevitably building as the weeks of lockdown stretch forwards.
The Cornwall emergency dental hub was much delayed but finally opened last weekend. They were immediately overwhelmed! All dentists are now required to collect several pages of information and comply exactly with a Covid-19 flowchart assessment, so you were fortunate to get in and your practice has done well for you.
Not looking forward to Monday morning! When will we be allowed to get back to delivering dental care?
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2020, 13:03   #7
newhavenhibby
Avid contributor

JDM Subaru Legacy GTB6 twin turbo,, JDM Subaru Impreza WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Glad to hear you finally got an appointment for necessary treatment. I was ordered to shut down in March. I didn't want to at the time, but with hindsight it seems the risks from Covid-19 are much worse than we were originally told and that decision was the right one. Dental practices using ultra-sonic instrumentation and high speed handpieces generating aerosols are potentially 'super-spreaders'.
We've spent tens of thousands on following all of the GDC, CQC, NHS, BDA, and CDC advice to name the main agencies controlling dentistry. Almost everything disposable, and autoclaving and disinfecting everything that isn't and now we're told it isn't good enough. Bit depressing actually. Existing protocols were supposed to be enough to protect our staff, patients and ourselves from Hepatitis A, B, C, AIDS, regular seasonal flu and other unknown threats.
I start a full week of telephone triage on Monday. This will be my second week on the emergency rota. I hated last time being unable to do more than advise on DIY dentistry to people in trouble, many of whom have supported our little practice since I started in Truro in September 1999 . No regular PPE let alone enhanced PPE is available from normal suppliers. Pressure of dental emergencies is inevitably building as the weeks of lockdown stretch forwards.
The Cornwall emergency dental hub was much delayed but finally opened last weekend. They were immediately overwhelmed! All dentists are now required to collect several pages of information and comply exactly with a Covid-19 flowchart assessment, so you were fortunate to get in and your practice has done well for you.
Not looking forward to Monday morning! When will we be allowed to get back to delivering dental care?
Feel for you, especially only being able to triage over the phone.......glad I retired a couple of years ago. England seem so far behind Scotland in the setting up of the Emergency Hubs. I can just imagine the bun fight when one does open.

Best wishes and good luck.