Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th April 2021, 15:54   #1
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur, Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Default Intermittent Loss Of Power - 52 Reg Diesel

Aftrenoon,
My 2002 diesel is occasionally loosing power which unfortunately is occurring more often. I have not noticed any other changes/symptoms/problems and I was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions before I attempt to take it to the garage?
Regards David
DRWMGTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2021, 17:57   #2
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Try cleaning the plug connections on the LP fuel pressure sensor - it sits on top of the fuel filter.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2021, 21:19   #3
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

I had a similar thing happen, would start and drive fine and then it would loose power, took my foot off the loud pedal put it back down and all was fine. Then it would do it again no particular time or place. I disconnected the MAF and it ran fine, I then replaced the MAF and it has been fine ever since.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2021, 09:32   #4
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur, Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Try cleaning the plug connections on the LP fuel pressure sensor - it sits on top of the fuel filter.
Morning Mike,
Could you recommend an electrical contact cleaner? Thank for your help. Regards David
Old 18th April 2021, 08:39   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Any of the ones on eBay should do the trick - I have run out and can't remember the last make I used.
WD40 will also do the job as it is pretty good at cleaning the tarnish off the contact areas and also keeping moisture out. Just spray a bit in and connect and disconnect the plug a few times and then wipe any excess away with a tissue.

When it is down on power will it rev freely in neutral or is it limited to under 3000 revs?
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2021, 09:08   #6
ardvark
Al

75 CDTI Tourer Auto

Had the same problem.
Take the engine cover and air filter pipe from the front of engine bay to air filter carrier off.
Then disconnect every electrical connection you can find and spray with contact cleaner. Do one at a time so not to get lost. Let contact dry before reconnecting.
It worked for me. Hope it works for you.
Old 22nd April 2021, 19:46   #7
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Hello Mike,
Thanks for your suggestion regarding the LP fuel pressure sensor connection; however, as John (Number 6) suggested disconnecting the MAF I thought I would try that first and it seems to have resolved the problem so it would appear that I need a new MAF. Thanks. Regards David
Old 22nd April 2021, 19:49   #8
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
I had a similar thing happen, would start and drive fine and then it would loose power, took my foot off the loud pedal put it back down and all was fine. Then it would do it again no particular time or place. I disconnected the MAF and it ran fine, I then replaced the MAF and it has been fine ever since.
Evening John, Thanks for your suggestion. I have removed the MAF and it appears to have resolved the problem. Thanks for your help. Regards David
Old 22nd April 2021, 19:52   #9
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark View Post
Had the same problem.
Take the engine cover and air filter pipe from the front of engine bay to air filter carrier off.
Then disconnect every electrical connection you can find and spray with contact cleaner. Do one at a time so not to get lost. Let contact dry before reconnecting.
It worked for me. Hope it works for you.
Evening Al, Thanks for your suggestion. As I have mentioned above I have removed the MAF and it appears to have resolved the problem. Thanks. Regards David
Old 22nd April 2021, 21:07   #10
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRWMGTF View Post
Evening John, Thanks for your suggestion. I have removed the MAF and it appears to have resolved the problem. Thanks for your help. Regards David
Not a Problem, That is what we are all here for. To help each other. When you replace the MAF dont be tempted by the Cheapo one off E-Bay. Get a genuine one. Plenty of recommendations on here.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"

Last edited by Number 6; 22nd April 2021 at 21:10..
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote