Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th April 2010, 12:00   #1
simdel1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE CDTi, Porsche 944 Lux, MGF

Default The great R75/ZT corrosion hunt (updated 26/04)

Updated with member contributions

Kandyman has reminded me about the club discount that is available at rust master
See the club's web page for more details: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/inde...age=rustmaster

With many of our cars approaching or exceeding 10 years on our generally wet and salty roads I would expect our cars to start showing some signs of corrosion.

My intention is to weasel out every common cause of corrosion on our cars so that I can either fix it, or prevent it from occuring on my car. Of course, any such work I do will be documneted and posted on here.

I had a quick look around my car the other day looking for early signs of corrosion and these are some of the things I found.

1) Rusty bonnet

As you can see, the edge of my bonnet that sits against the rubber seal has started to rust where the paint has ruubbed off.

2) Bumper rubbing

Unfortunately i only took the photo after i'd already put some insulation tape over it as an interim fix. The bumper has been rubbing on the frame at this point on both sides of the boot opening. The exposed metal has just started to rust.

3) Front slam panel.
I don't know if my car is an unusual example, but my slam panel is particularly rusty.

4) Under body bracketry
Many of the under body brackets and mountings seem to rust very easilly.

5) Upper door trims
These tend to rust from the inside out!
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=58823 - How loz1971 corrected this problem
- ...when it gets bad!

6) Door wiring loom entry points
(Image provided by Karl_683)

7) Front corners of boot lid

Tell-tale rust marks:

8) Underside of bonnet (behind sound insulation material)

9) Nuts and bolts (particularly in the engine bay)

Obviously, none of these things are major, but I intend to keep my Rover on the road for as long as possible, so i'd like to start attacking corrosion now before it gets too bad.

If anyone has any comments on my plan, or can suggest additional areas to concentrate on, i'd love to hear it.

Ta!

Apologies, this post has become a work in progress. More updates, details, links and images to follow...

The Simdel1 Fleet:
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/447/sigmgf.png

Last edited by simdel1; 26th April 2010 at 11:50..
simdel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 12:14   #2
loz1971
Posted a thing or two

2000 (W) Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (manual)

See my thread about the door trims, there may be rust there you cant see, also the lower rear suspension arms rust (the ones the rear springs sit in) noticed a hole appearing in mine!

"Plus It's not a man purse, it's called a satchel...Indiana Jones wears one"
loz1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 12:15   #3
EnEnGee
Posted a thing or two

CDT Tourer (SORN) & 2.0 V6 Saloon

It has been reported in the past that the leading edge of doors has been identified on some cars, particularly around the wiring loom entry point, though I mention this without having actually experienced it myself.

The underside of the car appears to be pretty well protected and certainly on my two (51 and 02 reg), I have seen little corrosion on the actual body structure. One area I where I have identified the start of minor rust was around the bumper beams up under the boot floor. There was an area where mud and road debris seems to accumulate. Have a look with a torch while lying on your back and shining a torch up behind the bumper area. It helped that my Tourer is Moonstone Green which showed up clearly, but the darker colours might not be so obvious. I have Waxoyled and painted this area to nip it in the bud.

But as you mentioned, the suspension members do tend to rust. I have started a programme of wire brushing and Hammeriting the bits I can easily access without dismantling.
EnEnGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 13:29   #4
karl_683
Loves to post

Jaguar X-Type

I've had rust around both the rear door wiring looms, all fixed now though. The was also some surface rust on the underside, however that is now fixed and waxoiled. But the suspention arms are in a state, am sorting out this week before the national meet.
Old 20th April 2010, 13:34   #5
Dave Goody
This is my second home

15 years of 75s & ZTs now an XTrail

Front corners of bootlid where they rub on boot seal is a regular Dave

When I was a kid I was scared of earwigs because I thought they actually lived in your ears. I was even more terrified of cockroaches!
Dave Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 13:43   #6
capese21
This is my second home

MG ZTT 180 Sports Auto.

On the rear hatch back door by the hinges I have a little rust.

Ed
capese21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 14:48   #7
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

i thinks its safe to say any two parts that are touching or have rubber / plastic between will eventually rust due to fact that they both move independently of each other, which will remove the layer of paint/sealer. this includes things such as all doors, bonnet, boot lit ( ive got some on the corners closest to back window on a saloon), edges of the body that touches the bumpers, and even on the edges of any metal component simply down to the effect of weathering.
has anyone taken a look at some of the suspension components recently? i guarantee there will be some rust there
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 19:59   #8
crofts

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Bonnet

I think it was Ken that mentioned he had found quite serious rust on the underside of the bonnet. Not obvious due to the sound deadening but evidently condensation forms there.
Not difficult to remove I understand and is one thing I have been meaning to do for some time.
If you see a white deposit on the engine side of the sound deadening it is a fairly sure sign of condensation. Mine shows it at the left and right rear.
I had thought to insert my Waxoyl 'wand' between felt and bonnet and giving it a good dose..........forgot ! !
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 20:23   #9
Platemaker

MG ZT-T 160, MG ZT 180.

I have seen several bubbling up from within the leading edge of the bonnet corners.
Platemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 20:34   #10
carlpenn
This is my second home

2000 Wedgey Blue 2.5V6 Beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Goody View Post
Front corners of bootlid where they rub on boot seal is a regular Dave

I have that on the offside of my Bootlid the nearside is fine.

Haven't seen any other signs of rust, was wondering how long it would be

There are the obvious areas of course - on suspension parts etc but nothing major. (touch wood)