Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th February 2018, 21:41   #1
charlie 22
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 2.5V6, Mazda Cx30

Default What could of been if!

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/enthus...id=HPCOMMDHP15
Old 7th February 2018, 08:19   #2
Beena wild
Loves to post

MG ZT190+ 2.5 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 22 View Post
What could have been indeed
Beena wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2018, 08:29   #3
charlie 22
Posted a thing or two

From a business point of view would it of been better to focus on the city rover and make it the car it should of been. Did Fiat do the same trick to save themselves with the new Fiat 500, high volume and priced right to the motoring masses.?
Old 7th February 2018, 10:15   #4
first-things-first
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie 22 View Post
From a business point of view would it of been better to focus on the city rover and make it the car it should of been. Did Fiat do the same trick to save themselves with the new Fiat 500, high volume and priced right to the motoring masses.?
Amen to that. Stupid decisions to make high end "halo" cars that sell in low volumes (I include the V8 75/ZT here), when the company needed bread and butter cars to keep it afloat.

After you have your core lines selling well, then do the more "fun" stuff.

The MG SV (and forebears) bankrupted (or helped bankrupt) 3 companies. Good going.

How much would it have cost to fix the K series HGF issues (which the excellent MGR engineers did know how to fix), rather than waste time and effort on these "halo" models? Probably about the same.
first-things-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2018, 11:08   #5
Mgaz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT190, MG ZS TD, MGF VVC, R200 TD bubble, Austin A35

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by first-things-first View Post
Amen to that. Stupid decisions to make high end "halo" cars that sell in low volumes (I include the V8 75/ZT here), when the company needed bread and butter cars to keep it afloat.

After you have your core lines selling well, then do the more "fun" stuff.

The MG SV (and forebears) bankrupted (or helped bankrupt) 3 companies. Good going.

How much would it have cost to fix the K series HGF issues (which the excellent MGR engineers did know how to fix), rather than waste time and effort on these "halo" models? Probably about the same.

Something that has always bugged me is the bad press MGR got for their head gasket issues. Seems a tad unfair for a problem that could be fixed for £300 or so quid!

Small change compared to the £4500 to replace a fuel pump on a Mitsubisi Shogun!.. or £1000 plus repair for an inlet problem on the same car!

Yet go on any youtube video of a Shogun, and all you will read is how fantastic a 4x4 it is by owners who don't have the slightest clue as to the ticking ££££ time bomb in thier fuel tanks!

If the cost of repairs were proportionate to the amount of bad press a car firm recevied from the media.. Mitsubishi would be out of business imo and rover still going strong!
^Be kind, Subscribe^ (MGR videos )
Mgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2018, 17:59   #6
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

The SV was an interesting vehicle but a complete and utter folly that diverted resources away from the key task of replacing the 45. It was a vanity project for the P4 boys club that failed to deliver any of the halo effect promised other than influencing some of the styling on the facelift cars (if you believe the marketing at least).

The ZT and 75 V8s fall into a similar category, where the effort and money expended in their creation did little to enhance the lesser members of the range. The production cars fell into the classic BL/RG trap of being substantially technically different under the skin but being virtually identical on the outside.
Old 7th February 2018, 18:03   #7
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

I'm not surprised the SV didn't save MGR, it looks one of those q plate kit cars you used to see.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2018, 19:22   #8
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

At the time of launch I disliked the City Rover, to the point where I got into trouble on the launch course. Now I’m quite fond of it, the facelift that didn’t make it into the market fully before closure is quite nice even. The issue for me was why stop the Rover 100 and then try to replace it with something else to do the same job had the City Rover been sold sub 5k it would of been a massive hit.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2018, 20:42   #9
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Looks like the word "have" has gone out of fasion, bit like Rover..
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2018, 20:44   #10
charlie 22
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
At the time of launch I disliked the City Rover, to the point where I got into trouble on the launch course. Now I’m quite fond of it, the facelift that didn’t make it into the market fully before closure is quite nice even. The issue for me was why stop the Rover 100 and then try to replace it with something else to do the same job had the City Rover been sold sub 5k it would of been a massive hit.
From what I have read the R100 was so out of date compared to the other cars in the market it was on so much borrowed time, then it was crash tested by NCAP and I think it got only a 1 star and that was the end. You are correct with the City Rover it was at least £2000 over priced. I think the motoring press would of been happier with the car if there was huge price reduction (£2000). So £2000 for the Rover badge I don't think even BMW badge has that much street cred. MGRover were going in the right direction with the City Rover BUT 1) over priced 2) should of branded as an Austin 3) they ran out of money.