Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 26th September 2019, 00:03   #41
mcd840
Gets stuck in

Nissan NV300 Tekna 170 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Latest pain in the rear is rear screen finisher on the ZT.

The old one was well gone and looked a disgrace, I eventually got a couple of new ones, but due to one reason or another took a month to get round to fitting it, and had it on the list of jobs before fixing the broken driveshaft....

So, fitted it yesterday, and there are gaps where it doesnt even meet the screen, and at least a 5mm gap between the two halves at the top of the screen.

The quality and shape of these parts is shocking, not fit for purpose. They were of course made in China, and there are pretty much none left now.

So that's it, I'm stuck with a car that I cannot make look decent, with what looks like a rubbish poorly fitting rear window trim, where there are none left and as I understand it no plans to find another supplier.

What an embarrassment.

It feels like for the last 3-4 years my entire life has been focused on sourcing parts, fixing things, replacing things, upgrading things, maintaining things, trying my best to make the car decent, and it was pretty much giving me an anxiety complex I think, and affecting my nerves and state of mind.

I think this was the final straw and it can sit and rot for all I care now.

Just been reading your posts on this subject and reminds me very much of what I was like with my 75 - everything had to be perfect, the slightest noise or rattle drives you mad, certain things MUST be done... and then eventually it starts having an effect on your mood, mind, nerves etc... Best advice I can give you mate - get shot of it and purchase a basic A-B car which you keep clean and maintained etc BUT without getting attached to it etc. I do like my current Pug 206 but if anything happens to it, do I give two sh*ts ? No I don't. It is simply a mode of transport, there are more important things in life. Hope that helps.

Craig
mcd840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2019, 07:42   #42
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

" I do like my current Pug 206 but if anything happens to it, do I give two sh*ts ? No I don't. It is simply a mode of transport, there are more important things in life. Hope that helps."

It's a point but I was recently in my brother's very nearly new Focus C Max. It was very nice but nowhere near as nice as the 75. The fact is I can't afford a new car anywhere near the class of the 75. So I'm taking a backward step into doing more mechanical work myself, like I used to in my 20's and 30's. And I have to have the engine out of my 1956 motorcycle too for a full strip down ready for next year.

JohnnyBG
JohnnyBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2019, 08:37   #43
mcd840
Gets stuck in

Nissan NV300 Tekna 170 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBG View Post
" I do like my current Pug 206 but if anything happens to it, do I give two sh*ts ? No I don't. It is simply a mode of transport, there are more important things in life. Hope that helps."

It's a point but I was recently in my brother's very nearly new Focus C Max. It was very nice but nowhere near as nice as the 75. The fact is I can't afford a new car anywhere near the class of the 75. So I'm taking a backward step into doing more mechanical work myself, like I used to in my 20's and 30's. And I have to have the engine out of my 1956 motorcycle too for a full strip down ready for next year.

JohnnyBG
I agree 100% that there are not many new cars around the same class as the 75 unless you have the funds to afford a newish luxury car.
mcd840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2019, 10:36   #44
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd840 View Post
I agree 100% that there are not many new cars around the same class as the 75 unless you have the funds to afford a newish luxury car.
Totally agree.

That's why I've bought my 1st 75 ( ZT ).
I've got a love-hate relationship with mine at the moment!

Richard

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2019, 22:57   #45
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
This will be the first job my TF has needed in over a year Clive, its developed a slight knock when pulling away from stationary, its either the lower engine mount or the small upper rear arm on the N/S, not a big job.

But these mechanics just see the badge and think the worst, the MGR stigma is still fresh in everyone's mind it seems.

As for SLK's, apart from gearboxes made of jelly, they have awful looking front and rear lights...
Gearbox (auto) in SLKs is a strong unit, as long as the electronics don't get wet, and you DO change the ATF. Like a lot of manufacturers, MB claimed their gearboxes would not need servicing for the lifetime of the car. As long as you don't expect your car to live for more than 100,000miles! The 2.3 was the best engine of the R170s, the 1.8/2.0 had a weak timing chain and sprockets, the sprockets on the early R171 3.5s were made of cheese, and had unreliable timing solenoids, a £2,000 fix if it didn't write off your engine first, they had so many complaints about rust on the R170s, they fully galvanised the R171 body. My wife's fully MB serviced (but 2nd hand)230SLK needed a new security and roof ECU after 6 months (it also messes with the auto box) after water got into the bottom of the boot where it lives - £950 by the time it was fitted and coded to the car, that is more than my 75 cost me to buy and maintain in its first year and 22000 miles, excluding new tyres.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2019, 00:54   #46
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
...................the sprockets on the early R171 3.5s were made of cheese, and had unreliable timing solenoids, a £2,000 fix if it didn't write off your engine first...............
EEK! Mine is a very early 3.5! So far is proved to be far more reliable then it should have been, in 1 and a half years I've replaced a coil pack (DIY & very cheap) and just had the rear brake pads done for a grand total of £56! Other then that it's been (touch wood) very reliable so far, in fact it went through it's last MOT with not advisories at all and first time with no work. Just hope it carries on like that however in just over a week it's going to spend a day going round Snetterton so we'll see............
Old 7th December 2019, 20:50   #47
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Thats because it rattles and its a pain to fix in the wet/cold/near the road/ you have no time. Mine rattles from the door clips they're always popping off. But at 209k almost it starts first time everytime. Only fails MOT on tyres or exhaust which is already pre-warned so I let the garage know to run it in and I KNOW the tyres are low. They put a fail in so it shows they've done due diligence and a PASS. Everytime.

But if you see weeping, leaks or a downturn in performance after a service then get the bits you need. I have a few and got a few from here that I used and I have a power steering reservoir and pipework to fit next spring/summer. I currently need replacement front calipers as the FREEBIES I got from a Bournemouth member have had to be used. Thanks Neil saved me a fortune mate.

Regards, Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Job View Post
Totally agree.

That's why I've bought my 1st 75 ( ZT ).
I've got a love-hate relationship with mine at the moment!

Richard
lionatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2019, 20:54   #48
lionatus
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

re the brakes... If you see a forum member upgrading to 190 brakes ask them for their calipers. I personally don't feel the need for better brakes and I have ahem... done 70 on the motorway.. In track conditions the 2.0 cdti ZT will do 125mph... Note I said track conditions there...... 125 from a 17 year old tourer diesel WTG Rover/MGB and an mpg of 40ish including town driving.... best car ever... just beats my old Rover 220 purely because of interior space.

AJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
EEK! Mine is a very early 3.5! So far is proved to be far more reliable then it should have been, in 1 and a half years I've replaced a coil pack (DIY & very cheap) and just had the rear brake pads done for a grand total of £56! Other then that it's been (touch wood) very reliable so far, in fact it went through it's last MOT with not advisories at all and first time with no work. Just hope it carries on like that however in just over a week it's going to spend a day going round Snetterton so we'll see............
lionatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2019, 01:04   #49
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
Just saw this, Guru. Most early 350 SLKs (R171), will have had the upgraded parts fitted on a recall if they have got past 60,000 miles. Problems often showed up by 50,000 apparently. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the ride or the driving position - the 75 is a far nicer car to be in on most roads, except twisty mountain roads with a perfect surface, but I may change my mind on that if I get a 160bhp upgrade to my currently 114 bhp CDT.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2019, 17:15   #50
oswestryalex
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T connoisseur saloon 2003 in blue , MG ZT 190+ 2003

One thought too is - how much of a car can you get for £1000 these days? In a sense, if you enjoy the driving experience (as I do) then the known old car is better than going into another used car of different make with different issues. My MG ZT has regularly cost me £600+ each year the MOT comes up, but the issues are sorted and then should last for a long time. The depreciation costs on a newer vehicle far outweigh the regular costs to keep ours on the road. The idea of buying a donor vehicle to use to salvage hard to get parts is a good one, if you have the space to put something like that.
oswestryalex is offline   Reply With Quote