Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th December 2019, 16:39   #11
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerman View Post
Im intrigued by the difference in plugs I've changed reflectors for both halogen and xenon and the plugs were the same.

Can you post a picture?

What was the problem with the headlight on the MOT??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
The headlamp adjusters had broke and the beam was on the floor. I didn't take it along to the test centre like this. I did a quick fix, but obviously the inner projector lamps had moved inside the cavity whilst driving along. I did break into the shell to see what the issue was. It was the vertical adjuster that had snapped off. Pity that these are throw aways when this happens. The unit looks like new! Only had it around 5 years!

robbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2019, 16:42   #12
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

I think I have a pair of standard mk1 headlights somewhere Rob, your welcome to them. what is wrong with the ones you have?

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2019, 16:46   #13
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrooks View Post
The headlamp adjusters had broke and the beam was on the floor. I didn't take it along to the test centre like this. I did a quick fix, but obviously the inner projector lamps had moved inside the cavity whilst driving along. I did break into the shell to see what the issue was. It was the vertical adjuster that had snapped off. Pity that these are throw aways when this happens. The unit looks like new! Only had it around 5 years!

This can be repaired Rob, you just have to dismantle a standard light to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6th December 2019, 17:17   #14
smabious
Regular poster

MG ZT 160+ & MG6

Quote:
There isn't any difference in power supply plugs to our headlamps. I was unlucky with the allegedly new O/s headlamp I bought. I believe the pins were s lightly misaligned. I didn't want to force and get blamed for damaging it, so it went back today.

I had the same problem with trying to fit new headlights. The connector on the NS just not would fit. I got totally frustrated so used pliers to force it on (I know not the best idea). However, doing that forced out the individual wires that were not lining up. With this I tweaked the offending pins in the headlight slightly to align and it fitted. Real pain though.

On your existing dropped headlights have you tried using the metal connector from an electrical terminal strip to try and keep the dropped headlight up? I did to get it through the MOT before I replaced me headlights...

Old 6th December 2019, 18:13   #15
Rick-sta
This is my second home

MG ZT 2.0 CDTI+ in Typhoon, MG TF 135 in Typhoon & Rover 75 Connoisseur CDTI SE in Pearl Black

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerman View Post
Im intrigued by the difference in plugs I've changed reflectors for both halogen and xenon and the plugs were the same.

Can you post a picture?

What was the problem with the headlight on the MOT??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Send a picture of the plugs you have (I didn't realise they were different) to make sure you have no issues.
Quote:
There isn't any difference in power supply plugs to our headlamps. I was unlucky with the allegedly new O/s headlamp I bought. I believe the pins were s lightly misaligned. I didn't want to force and get blamed for damaging it, so it went back today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smabious View Post
I had the same problem with trying to fit new headlights. The connector on the NS just not would fit. I got totally frustrated so used pliers to force it on (I know not the best idea). However, doing that forced out the individual wires that were not lining up. With this I tweaked the offending pins in the headlight slightly to align and it fitted. Real pain though.

There's no difference in the headlight plugs, they're all the same across the models and years. What I have found in the past is the brand new headlight units (i can only assume come from china and were for the chinese models) have very poor plugs that don't align with our plugs very well at all.

I've only had one set like that here, which I used on my dad's car at the time and the sidelights just wouldn't work due to poor connection at the plugs. Ended up chopping the plugs off (on the headlights) and using a pair of plugs from a scrap donor pair of headlights which solved the problem.
How to restore cloudy projector headlights Link
Rick-sta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2019, 18:29   #16
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

I had to do that as well on a set of Chinese projectors Rick, I think they were Bluejons if I recall correctly (was a long time ago)
Old 6th December 2019, 19:14   #17
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Headlight are not sealed units and if you need to open them up for repair, you will need a cardboard box large enough to fit the headlight in, and then cut a hole in the box to insert a hairdryer.

Before you start though, wash the outside of the lamp to remove the dirt from the casing.

Pop the lamp into the box, close the lid and switch on the hairdryer for a few minutes, and you will find the plastic clips securing the polycarbonate lens can now be released and the front removed to allow whatever servicing to take place

When you refit the front to the casing, no additional sealant is required, simply put the headlamp back in the box and warm up again.......you will find the original non setting mastic will reseal

Hope this helps

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2019, 20:19   #18
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Headlight are not sealed units and if you need to open them up for repair, you will need a cardboard box large enough to fit the headlight in, and then cut a hole in the box to insert a hairdryer.

Before you start though, wash the outside of the lamp to remove the dirt from the casing.

Pop the lamp into the box, close the lid and switch on the hairdryer for a few minutes, and you will find the plastic clips securing the polycarbonate lens can now be released and the front removed to allow whatever servicing to take place

When you refit the front to the casing, no additional sealant is required, simply put the headlamp back in the box and warm up again.......you will find the original non setting mastic will reseal

Hope this helps

Brian
The mans a goddamn genius !!
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2019, 10:14   #19
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT,160 remap: owner since new in December 2002: Mileage: June22 143,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I have swapped bits from standard lights into projectors on a few occasions to make a good set, it’s quite easy to do if you have a working donor headlight.
Would be good to know how you did this, as I will have an headlamp with a broken vertical adjuster that has been cut on the top to see what the damage was. It's one of the rods that's broke. Looks like it can be fixed with a bit of know how. I have 2 headlamps on order now, so will have a spare projector RH, that I'm hoping to re-sell on e bay, if I can get it to work. This will help to offset my mounting costs.
Thanks Trikey
Old 7th December 2019, 10:21   #20
robbrooks
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroRover View Post
The mans a goddamn genius !!
Wow. This is such a good idea. If it works . If the rods are broken what's the best way to replace and make good again?

I have lots of spare time, so I can take my time and hopefully restore. I'm feeling more up-beat about it today after receiving so many helpful posts!
thank you Brian